Polish/UK Blockchain company Billon is going to offer Twitch content producers the opportunity to receive ‘tips’ from fans that completely bypass the banking system. To gather tips, Twitch content producers can add a pay button to their pages and fans can pay them. The system allows Twitch stars to cash out in multiple ways including via cash, pre-paid cards, vouchers, and checks.
The solution works on phones or laptops, and moves money peer-to-peer – basically, the money does not circulate in the system between banks, but between users.
To use Billon, one just needs to download the free app, and register in Billon, similarly to any other app, like Skype, Facebook or Twitch. In order to register one needs to provide only two data points: a login name, and password. With these two data points your digital ID is created. This digital ID is created within Billon collaboration with financial institutions. These financial institutions are typically banks or e-money license holders (same institutions that issue credit cards or create bank accounts). So technically speaking, every user (and his login name) is being registered with the financial institution of users choice. Once user is registered, you can start topping up Billon app with real money to make digital cash transactions with any other user. Users can also do cardless withdrawal at any participating ATM or cash-out to any bank account.
In short, the first piece of Billon technology (blockchain genesis block) is put behind banking (or e-money institution) firewalls, so everything we do is in-line with banking regulations, especially with Know-Your-Customer (KYC) and Anti-Money-Laundering (AML) procedures. This piece of technology enables issuing bank (the one that is responsible for digital money) to convert traditional paper or “bank money” into digital cash and send it directly to your Billon app. The same Billon software is used to redeem digital cash as “bank money” or paper money at ATM.
Billon does not require anyone to own a bank account, as Billon tech is fully independent of any existing bank solutions. Therefore as a user, you get full digital cash experience, without the hassle and costs associated with owning a bank account. In the future, they plan to fully integrate the Billon app into other bank accounts, so that you will be able to see your bank account balance in your Billon app, or take an instant loan from your financial institution.
And it’s safer than any bank account. Their tech infrastructure and architecture is blockchain based, and not core-banking system based. It means, that data that is transmitted between Billon apps is encrypted, and never stored on any server. Therefore even if someone breaks into a financial institution that issues your digital cash, the hacker will not steal your money, will not steal information about your transactions, and will not force you to change passwords… because this information is simply not in the bank, so there is nothing to be stolen.
It’s no wonder banks want a piece of the action.
Financial groups are racing to harness the power of the Blockchain to slash costs according the Financial Times:
For the financial services sector it offers the opportunity to overhaul existing banking infrastructure, speed settlements and streamline stock exchanges, although regulators will want to be assured that it can be done securely. The developments potentially combine two of the most dynamic industries: the computing hub of Silicon Valley and the money management of Wall Street and the City of London.
“We could go the way that file transfer technology changed music, allowing new businesses like iTunes to emerge,” says Michael Harte, chief operations and technology officer at Barclays. “That is why there is such feverish activity at the moment.”
The Blockchain solves some key technological problem of banks such as how to protect access to confidential data. And Blockchain and Billon do exactly that: banks (and financial institutions) don’t need to build expensive data centers to store and process customer data, with sophisticated firewalls to protect access to these information. With Billon, all data is stored on users’ device, and all transactions happen on peer-to-peer basis, meaning when users move money between one another, bank central infrastructure is never used. This means radical cost savings for the banks. No more excessive transaction processing costs, no more timeful transaction authorizations, no more expensive transaction settlements, no more complex transactional counterparty risk, no more lengthy transactional chargeback procedures, no more exorbitant IT infrastructure designed to handle transactional peak volumes.
By design, Billon is significantly cheaper than any other electronic money provider – they don’t require banks to invest into new hardware, software and their integration can be implemented within 12 weeks… therefore, compared to alternatives like payment cards, checks or core-banking system architecture, Billon is 90 per cent cheaper to implement and nearly 100 per cent cheaper to operate. Billon fees typically are based on revenue-share models to eliminate costly upfront investments on the bank side.
Billon co-founder Andrzej Horoszczak talked to Techcrunch:
“Billon has created the world’s first blockchain enabling government currency transactions that is compliant with regulations. This is important – mass adoption can only occur if clients are using their existing mobile phones and favorite local currency,” said Horoszczak. “Today, payments are a broken end-to-end value chain full of intermediaries, payment insurers, liquidity providers, clearing agents, settlement agents, and account holders. Imagine giving the power to truly provide an end-to-end solution…and eliminate all the cost, risk, and hassle that exists today.”
More from Techcrunch:
They recently brought on David Putts in Europe as Chairman. Putts founded three banks in Europe and spent 10 years at McKinsey. The company has raised angel funding and recently headquartered in London.
Horoszczak sees his company as one of the first fully regulated P2P payments companies, which is a hard thing to be.
You can watch another video on Billon technology here. Or below.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017