Polish/UK Blockchain company Billon is going to offer Twitch content producers the opportunity to receive ‘tips’ from fans that completely bypass the banking system. To gather tips, Twitch content producers can add a pay button to their pages and fans can pay them. The system allows Twitch stars to cash out in multiple ways including via cash, pre-paid cards, vouchers, and checks.
The solution works on phones or laptops, and moves money peer-to-peer – basically, the money does not circulate in the system between banks, but between users.
To use Billon, one just needs to download the free app, and register in Billon, similarly to any other app, like Skype, Facebook or Twitch. In order to register one needs to provide only two data points: a login name, and password. With these two data points your digital ID is created. This digital ID is created within Billon collaboration with financial institutions. These financial institutions are typically banks or e-money license holders (same institutions that issue credit cards or create bank accounts). So technically speaking, every user (and his login name) is being registered with the financial institution of users choice. Once user is registered, you can start topping up Billon app with real money to make digital cash transactions with any other user. Users can also do cardless withdrawal at any participating ATM or cash-out to any bank account.
In short, the first piece of Billon technology (blockchain genesis block) is put behind banking (or e-money institution) firewalls, so everything we do is in-line with banking regulations, especially with Know-Your-Customer (KYC) and Anti-Money-Laundering (AML) procedures. This piece of technology enables issuing bank (the one that is responsible for digital money) to convert traditional paper or “bank money” into digital cash and send it directly to your Billon app. The same Billon software is used to redeem digital cash as “bank money” or paper money at ATM.
Billon does not require anyone to own a bank account, as Billon tech is fully independent of any existing bank solutions. Therefore as a user, you get full digital cash experience, without the hassle and costs associated with owning a bank account. In the future, they plan to fully integrate the Billon app into other bank accounts, so that you will be able to see your bank account balance in your Billon app, or take an instant loan from your financial institution.
And it’s safer than any bank account. Their tech infrastructure and architecture is blockchain based, and not core-banking system based. It means, that data that is transmitted between Billon apps is encrypted, and never stored on any server. Therefore even if someone breaks into a financial institution that issues your digital cash, the hacker will not steal your money, will not steal information about your transactions, and will not force you to change passwords… because this information is simply not in the bank, so there is nothing to be stolen.
It’s no wonder banks want a piece of the action.
Financial groups are racing to harness the power of the Blockchain to slash costs according the Financial Times:
For the financial services sector it offers the opportunity to overhaul existing banking infrastructure, speed settlements and streamline stock exchanges, although regulators will want to be assured that it can be done securely. The developments potentially combine two of the most dynamic industries: the computing hub of Silicon Valley and the money management of Wall Street and the City of London.
“We could go the way that file transfer technology changed music, allowing new businesses like iTunes to emerge,” says Michael Harte, chief operations and technology officer at Barclays. “That is why there is such feverish activity at the moment.”
The Blockchain solves some key technological problem of banks such as how to protect access to confidential data. And Blockchain and Billon do exactly that: banks (and financial institutions) don’t need to build expensive data centers to store and process customer data, with sophisticated firewalls to protect access to these information. With Billon, all data is stored on users’ device, and all transactions happen on peer-to-peer basis, meaning when users move money between one another, bank central infrastructure is never used. This means radical cost savings for the banks. No more excessive transaction processing costs, no more timeful transaction authorizations, no more expensive transaction settlements, no more complex transactional counterparty risk, no more lengthy transactional chargeback procedures, no more exorbitant IT infrastructure designed to handle transactional peak volumes.
By design, Billon is significantly cheaper than any other electronic money provider – they don’t require banks to invest into new hardware, software and their integration can be implemented within 12 weeks… therefore, compared to alternatives like payment cards, checks or core-banking system architecture, Billon is 90 per cent cheaper to implement and nearly 100 per cent cheaper to operate. Billon fees typically are based on revenue-share models to eliminate costly upfront investments on the bank side.
Billon co-founder Andrzej Horoszczak talked to Techcrunch:
“Billon has created the world’s first blockchain enabling government currency transactions that is compliant with regulations. This is important – mass adoption can only occur if clients are using their existing mobile phones and favorite local currency,” said Horoszczak. “Today, payments are a broken end-to-end value chain full of intermediaries, payment insurers, liquidity providers, clearing agents, settlement agents, and account holders. Imagine giving the power to truly provide an end-to-end solution…and eliminate all the cost, risk, and hassle that exists today.”
More from Techcrunch:
They recently brought on David Putts in Europe as Chairman. Putts founded three banks in Europe and spent 10 years at McKinsey. The company has raised angel funding and recently headquartered in London.
Horoszczak sees his company as one of the first fully regulated P2P payments companies, which is a hard thing to be.
You can watch another video on Billon technology here. Or below.
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017
- South Korea’s BOScoin announces ICO May 10th, 2017 - May 6, 2017
- ICO Token Raises Blow Past VC for Blockchain Investment in last 12 Months - May 6, 2017