Polish/UK Blockchain company Billon is going to offer Twitch content producers the opportunity to receive ‘tips’ from fans that completely bypass the banking system. To gather tips, Twitch content producers can add a pay button to their pages and fans can pay them. The system allows Twitch stars to cash out in multiple ways including via cash, pre-paid cards, vouchers, and checks.
The solution works on phones or laptops, and moves money peer-to-peer – basically, the money does not circulate in the system between banks, but between users.
To use Billon, one just needs to download the free app, and register in Billon, similarly to any other app, like Skype, Facebook or Twitch. In order to register one needs to provide only two data points: a login name, and password. With these two data points your digital ID is created. This digital ID is created within Billon collaboration with financial institutions. These financial institutions are typically banks or e-money license holders (same institutions that issue credit cards or create bank accounts). So technically speaking, every user (and his login name) is being registered with the financial institution of users choice. Once user is registered, you can start topping up Billon app with real money to make digital cash transactions with any other user. Users can also do cardless withdrawal at any participating ATM or cash-out to any bank account.
In short, the first piece of Billon technology (blockchain genesis block) is put behind banking (or e-money institution) firewalls, so everything we do is in-line with banking regulations, especially with Know-Your-Customer (KYC) and Anti-Money-Laundering (AML) procedures. This piece of technology enables issuing bank (the one that is responsible for digital money) to convert traditional paper or “bank money” into digital cash and send it directly to your Billon app. The same Billon software is used to redeem digital cash as “bank money” or paper money at ATM.
Billon does not require anyone to own a bank account, as Billon tech is fully independent of any existing bank solutions. Therefore as a user, you get full digital cash experience, without the hassle and costs associated with owning a bank account. In the future, they plan to fully integrate the Billon app into other bank accounts, so that you will be able to see your bank account balance in your Billon app, or take an instant loan from your financial institution.
And it’s safer than any bank account. Their tech infrastructure and architecture is blockchain based, and not core-banking system based. It means, that data that is transmitted between Billon apps is encrypted, and never stored on any server. Therefore even if someone breaks into a financial institution that issues your digital cash, the hacker will not steal your money, will not steal information about your transactions, and will not force you to change passwords… because this information is simply not in the bank, so there is nothing to be stolen.
It’s no wonder banks want a piece of the action.
Financial groups are racing to harness the power of the Blockchain to slash costs according the Financial Times:
For the financial services sector it offers the opportunity to overhaul existing banking infrastructure, speed settlements and streamline stock exchanges, although regulators will want to be assured that it can be done securely. The developments potentially combine two of the most dynamic industries: the computing hub of Silicon Valley and the money management of Wall Street and the City of London.
“We could go the way that file transfer technology changed music, allowing new businesses like iTunes to emerge,” says Michael Harte, chief operations and technology officer at Barclays. “That is why there is such feverish activity at the moment.”
The Blockchain solves some key technological problem of banks such as how to protect access to confidential data. And Blockchain and Billon do exactly that: banks (and financial institutions) don’t need to build expensive data centers to store and process customer data, with sophisticated firewalls to protect access to these information. With Billon, all data is stored on users’ device, and all transactions happen on peer-to-peer basis, meaning when users move money between one another, bank central infrastructure is never used. This means radical cost savings for the banks. No more excessive transaction processing costs, no more timeful transaction authorizations, no more expensive transaction settlements, no more complex transactional counterparty risk, no more lengthy transactional chargeback procedures, no more exorbitant IT infrastructure designed to handle transactional peak volumes.
By design, Billon is significantly cheaper than any other electronic money provider – they don’t require banks to invest into new hardware, software and their integration can be implemented within 12 weeks… therefore, compared to alternatives like payment cards, checks or core-banking system architecture, Billon is 90 per cent cheaper to implement and nearly 100 per cent cheaper to operate. Billon fees typically are based on revenue-share models to eliminate costly upfront investments on the bank side.
Billon co-founder Andrzej Horoszczak talked to Techcrunch:
“Billon has created the world’s first blockchain enabling government currency transactions that is compliant with regulations. This is important – mass adoption can only occur if clients are using their existing mobile phones and favorite local currency,” said Horoszczak. “Today, payments are a broken end-to-end value chain full of intermediaries, payment insurers, liquidity providers, clearing agents, settlement agents, and account holders. Imagine giving the power to truly provide an end-to-end solution…and eliminate all the cost, risk, and hassle that exists today.”
More from Techcrunch:
They recently brought on David Putts in Europe as Chairman. Putts founded three banks in Europe and spent 10 years at McKinsey. The company has raised angel funding and recently headquartered in London.
Horoszczak sees his company as one of the first fully regulated P2P payments companies, which is a hard thing to be.
You can watch another video on Billon technology here. Or below.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017