Blockchain payments startup Align Commerce, a next-generation global payments provider, has just announced that it has closed a $12.5 million Series A round of funding led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB).
The investment positions Align Commerce to accelerate the disruption of the outdated, $25 trillion international payments industry.
“This Series A round of funding from KPCB allows us to expand our solution into more markets, and bigger geographical coverage.”
Align Commerce (Align) says they are breaking away from the opaque, expensive and time-consuming methods of sending funds overseas with banks and traditional payment providers by leveling the playing field for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in cross-border payments. Align added they have pioneered an electronic “multi-rail” payments platform that combines blockchain, an encrypted, data-driven rail, with traditional bank wire and treasury management rails.
Blockchain is a new electronic rail for secure payments that simplifies the process of sending and receiving money across borders, routing it from Point A to Point B without having to use intermediary banks – or pay the fees associated with them. Align’s multi-rail platform lets small businesses, which historically have paid the highest fees for bank transfers, take back control of the payment process by routing transfers quickly, safely and simply on the rail that offers the greatest benefit to their business.
“For far too long the cost and complications of existing payment systems have hindered startups and SMBs from fully capitalizing on global trade,” said Marwan Forzley, CEO of Align Commerce. “The Align Commerce platform cuts through time-consuming red tape and excessive fees that have unnecessarily burdened users. Existing systems have seen little innovation in the face of game-changing new technologies, and the entire experience is overdue for a radically different approach.”
By giving businesses access to its proprietary multi-rail platform, Align reduces costs, cuts payment processing times and enhances the payment experience for the SMB community.
“Every year, banks charge small businesses $50 billion in wire and foreign exchange fees. Imagine a highly simplified experience in which proceeds from the savings in fees are injected back into the economy, thus contributing to additional employment, business spending and other avenues,” Forzley said. “This Series A round of funding from KPCB allows us to expand our solution into more markets, and bigger geographical coverage.”
KPCB general partner Randy Komisar will join Align Commerce’s Board of Directors, bringing a range of technology experience to Align’s leadership. A founding director of TiVo and former senior counsel for Apple, Komisar is well-known in Silicon Valley as an expert on entrepreneurship and managing innovation.
“The Align Commerce platform is not only a creative and transformative use of the blockchain technology, but a fundamental reimagining of how global payments can and should be done,” said Komisar. “By offering a quick, reliable, and inexpensive method of exchanging money across borders, Align Commerce is empowering entrepreneurs and SMBs to expand into global markets without the friction of bank wire systems. We see incredible potential in Align Commerce as a superior digital path to convenient, transparent cross-border transactions.”
In addition to KPCB, SVB Ventures, Recruit Venture Partners and existing Align Commerce investors participated in the round, including Pantera Capital, Digital Currency Group and FS Venture Capital LLC.
For more on the Align Commerce Payments Platform and how Align Commerce is enabling faster, simpler and less expensive overseas payments for small businesses, visit AlignCommerce.com. To sign up, visit https://www.aligncommerce.com/dashboard/register.
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017
- Beijing Officials Demand Chinese Blockchain Standards - March 30, 2017
- Spanish Bank BBVA joins Hyperledger Project - March 30, 2017
- Alibaba to Tackle Counterfeit Food in China With Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- Cosmos Announces Upcoming Token Sale to Build Internet of Blockchains - March 29, 2017
- Blockchain Technologies Corp. Speaks Before Maine State Legislature Committee on Blockchain Voting - March 29, 2017
- Yoyow.org – a New Chinese Blockchain-Based Social Media Platform - March 29, 2017
- Singapore-Based Blockchain Startup REIDAO Opens Up A New, Affordable Way To Participate In Real Estate Opportunities - March 29, 2017
- ShapeShift Raises $10.4 Million in Series A Funding Round as Sales Skyrocket - March 29, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Joins the Chamber of Digital Commerce - March 29, 2017
- ICONOMI Announces World’s First Digital Assets Repayment Programme - March 29, 2017
- Hijro Partners with SAP on Blockchain Technology – Opens Trade Finance Beta to Ariba Supplier Network - March 29, 2017
- IBM, Natixis, and Trafigura introduce first-ever Blockchain solution for U.S. crude oil market - March 28, 2017
- Humaniq Opens ICO Pre-orders to Bank Transfers - March 27, 2017
- OpenLedger’s Apptrade has received a $100,000 USD boost from OpenLedger ApS - March 27, 2017
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017