Among a number of uses, Blockchain technology can simplify much of the unnecessary complexity that exists in the music copyright industry by promoting a free, public database of music copyrights. Issuing music metadata, songs and recordings, as digital assets on a blockchain can make them easily tradable and the use of smart contracts can automate much of the associated legal cobweb. Actors in the industry are expected to benefit from this technology which will make their contributions and resulting revenue streams transparent and immediate.
As Billboard reported, the technology offers solutions to multiple, previously intractable, problems of the industry, such as song rights monitoring and complex, but transparent and reliable, royalty distribution.
We are continuing that fight. Our mission is to bring transparency to the industry, so that all players—from artists to managers to labels—have easy, quick and shareable access to data. The way we see it, the only way to fix the transparency problem is to give labels and artists a tool that assembles data automatically and makes it easy to view, understand, and share that data.
So that’s what we did. Our platform allows artists to see their shares on-demand with one click. They no longer have to send a request to a manager, accountant, or record label and wait for a response. This increased visibility boosts trust between all those involved, and decreases friction between parties.
In addition to seeing a unified view, the dashboard also provides real insights into the sales reports. Each report can be drilled down, so artists can see clearly which stores—virtual or physical—brought in the most sales, which ad campaigns were successful, and which songs fared better on which platform.
Our platform levels the playing field by providing full transparency throughout the entire process of production, marketing and sales. It paves the way for collaboration and trust, as well as informed decision-making on the part of all those involved. Perhaps most importantly, it puts artists at ease, giving them the resources and peace of mind to keep making more great music.
Blockchain-based technologies (and colored coins in particular) can address two different classes of problems that currently plague the music copyright industry. Revelator sees the blockchain as the operating system for music rights management and distribution of assets.
Data Openness and Standardization
- Once music metadata becomes standardized, publically available, free and not owned by anyone, it will be much easier to convince all involved parties to come on board and use it. Legal ownership of a piece of music will be immutably burned into the blockchain database, easily verifiable and indisputable.
- Applications for parsing and analyzing this freely available music metadata will alleviate much of the headache currently involved in figuring who owns a piece of music.
- Artists can directly see their revenue stream and facilitate direct contact with their fanbase.
Copyright Ownership and Transfer
- Transferring and trading music copyrights will become as easy as sending an email and available on mobile apps enabling a secondary market of music rights to flourish.
- Smart contracts will allow automatic and instantaneous payments to relevant parties, or expiring a copyright after a predesignated amount of time.
- Fast, secure and intelligent transactions with instant confirmations, tracking, transparency and trust.
- Revelator smart contracts provide multi-signature rule based compliance, transfers or assignment of full or partial ownership of IP.
- Efficient use of the block chain with an open protocol for rights management, distributed content and micro-payments.
- Issue copyright registrations as digital assets secured by multi-signature authentication.
- Enforce multi-party terms and jurisdiction compliance rules
- Control access to key functions, set permissions, limits & alerts
- Monitor activity, track usage & sales, easily manage your data securely.
- License, sell or offer digital music assets to any distributor, publisher, label and consumer across all devices.
- Implement time-limited digital music assets in direct to fan, ecommerce, mobile app or marketplace.
- Use a single API for asset registration, transfer, delivery & payment.
- View all transactions of an asset with full transparency throughout its lifecycle
- Measure the ROI of your digital assets across all channels.
- Leverage wallet discoverability to support secure send directly to the receiver’s wallet.
The first partner getting to work on Colu is Revelator, a cloud-based provider of sales and marketing intelligence for independent music businesses.
According to Amos Meiri, Colu’s CEO and co-founder:
“Two blockchains can be combined or integrated “very easily. We already see it happening today in different platforms that use Bitcoin blockchain to verify their transactions and benefits from it’s Bitcoin security for example. Since all these platforms are widely open it is easily achievable and one could see other blockchains being built on top of Bitcoin blockchain to leverage some of it’s benefit.”
See more at Revelator.com
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017