Brave New Coin (BNC), a Data and Research company headquartered in Queenstown, New Zealand has recently cut a deal with Melbourne-based Smartbit to develop the first provable Blockchain indexes for financial markets, starting with the BNC Bitcoin Liquid Index (BNC-BLX).
The ability to offer ‘provable market data’ has previously been impossible or extremely difficult. This partnership will be the first to engage in a process called ‘Market-Chaining’ where financial data such as market indexes, quotes and trades will be secured onto the Blockchain, providing immutable receipts.
“Imagine putting the S&P 500 on the blockchain. Any service, person or machine using this Index to settle against, all of a sudden has a trustless 3rd party to verify that official published rates were in fact used,” said Fran Strajnar, CEO of BNC.
The first data feed to be offered in this format will be BNC’s Bitcoin Liquid Index (the BNC-BLX), a comprehensive historic & live bitcoin index purpose built for settlement of bitcoin derivatives. As financial services operators use blockchain technology for exciting new solutions like ‘proof of reserves’, there is also a growing demand for ‘proof of settlement’, which is one of the verification and auditing implications of Market-Chaining.
“This partnership has re-enforced BNC’s position in the industry and strengthened the company’s service offering making it stronger and more in-depth. BNC will be expanding the range of solutions and developer tools that we are planning to bring to the market,” according to Stajnar. “This first project is the beginning of a larger project, bringing financial and blockchain data together, in an accurate and transparent way.”
“We can secure any market data feed on the Blockchain in a way that does not threaten proprietary intellectual property, break existing revenue models or open up market participants to market manipulation. People trust mathematics a lot more than they trust people,” says Strajnar.
The process of Market-Chaining has several benefits such as when an asset is registered by an index provider on the blockchain, (and depending on the configuration) either anybody or permissioned parties can verify whether third parties are acting legitimately when they are brokering, selling or facilitating financial products against an index. This has vast implications for auditing trade and settlement, such as offering a verification layer between them by tying together index feeds for broker quotes, trade, and settlement systems.
According to BNC, the largest benefit to institutions is the ability to shed the need for customer trust completely and to automate auditing right through the trade value chain. For the first time a mathematical protocol assumes the role of central information authority and therefore both the customer and the institution can be on an equal footing. This should give customers a huge boost of confidence in all participating companies.
Market-Chaining for indexes is ready to be applied now for exchanges and brokers, with trade and quote solutions becoming available in the new year. Both BNC and Smart Bit expect a rapid roll-out time for this line of services with provable indexes coming online from several financial institutions very early into 2016.
Brave New Coin is a fast growing Blockchain Company founded in 2013. They are a privately held data and research organization focused on the exponential Blockchain and Digital Equities industry. The company offers Market Data, Research & Solutions for the financial services sector to get the best out of Blockchain technology and they are currently raising capital for rapid expansion.
For details, see their pitch page here.
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017