DECENT is a Decentralized Content Distribution Platform that is Open-Source and utilizes Blockchain to ensure security and its intentions is to revolutionize data distribution on the Internet. DECENT plans to launch a prototype in Q1, 2016 which will explain the protocol’s functionalities and various usage possibilities.
The biggest advantages of DECENT over Bittorrent are complete anonymity both on a payment layer and content consuming layer, decentralized P2P micropayments and direct relationship between author and consumer (one-to-many data model). In comparison to Bittorrent, content on DECENT is encrypted . Even publishers (seeders) don’t know what they are seeding. Unless you explicitly wish to reveal your identity, you stay anonymous. Author’s reputation depends on the rating he/she receives from the content consumers and it is saved in the blockchain. Thus the lifetime reputation for each author and each piece of content is ensured. As an author, you can start publishing for free, build a reputation and later begin to charge for your digital content (articles, books, music, video etc.)
The company behind DECENT has already secured a €500k funding from Element Capital LLC, a US Chinese Fund, and has teams of collaborators in Ukraine, Luxembourg, Shanghai and Australia.
Igor Chepkasov, one of the team ambassadors, recently wrote:
DECENT is here to guard Free Speech and give the power over the media back to people. Implementation of Blockchain technology to provide maximum anonymity and peer to peer sharing network to eliminate any kinds of third parties or middlemen is the main goal. As an open source protocol, DECENT platform allows everyone to build their own applications on the top of its protocol. The aim is to offer the possibility of sharing and receiving genuine digital content worldwide in the exact way and form as it was aimed to.
As an independent decentralized network owned by its users DECENT allows media sharing and ensures freedom of speech in order to provide borderless information and data flow while avoiding manipulation, censorship and any third party influence. As an open source platform it also enables everyone to build their own application on top of the DECENT protocol.
The main goal is to provide opportunities for people whose voice is normally censored, manipulated or simply are tired of involving third parties in order to get published.
Decent is also unique thanks to the micropayment system which is combined with strong encryption of the content and several advanced cryptographic technologies (e.g. shared secret sharing, proof of retrievability, ZKP) via Blockchain theory. Only authorized users can and will get access to the content. Served via P2P network DECENT platform is not centrally hosted, so the data cannot be manipulated and they can never be blocked.
DECENT is anonymous. The authors and their audience are identified only by their ID and protected by advanced cryptography. Unless they wish to, users cannot be associated with any given content. This is guaranteed with our unique distribution models.
In terms of security DECENT is designed to ensure the authors get paid for all of the viewed content as well as consumers are only charged when they get access to the content they paid for. The author can decide to share the content for free or for payment. In addition, our recommendation engine will help users to filter out content that is for some reason malicious or does not meet the quality standards.
See their Whitepaper here.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017