Accenture’s North American Managing Director of IT Strategy, Abizer Rangwala , has recently written a blog post outlining his vision regarding how his company is going to utilise Blockchain Technology.
So here we stand at the dawn of 2016, looking forward to change and trying to predict whether blockchain will indeed prove to be the next Internet-like change driver. I’m aligned with those who see the use of blockchain as continuing to gain momentum and expect it will have a profound effect on business. This is starting to happen now, especially in retail and in banking.
He goes on to note the real advantages:
Security is one of the biggest reasons that companies are investing in blockchain research.
The nature of blockchain as a distributed database makes it difficult and prohibitively expensive to unilaterally edit, since so many copies exist.
Trust is another virtue of blockchain.
The blocks provide transparency and record the history of a particular contract or deal. It’s an effective way to establish provenance of a painting or ownership of a diamond, with all the “paperwork” digitally attached to the item, lessening the chance of fraud.
Dealings are more direct. Blockchain transactions are conducted by the parties themselves with no third party or central body acting as intermediary.
It can be more open or more private depending on how the technology is used.
Efficiency is a major draw for blockchain. Contracts or transactions are frictionless and can be done more quickly and less expensively than conventional business dealings, opening the way for very tailored arrangements.
And adds more on how it can be used:
Blockchain can be used to trade stocks and bonds. Nasdaq is building a system to use blockchain in private markets, while Overstock just received SEC approval to use the blockchain to issue its stock via an alternative trading system (ATS) rather than the NYSE and Nasdaq. Overstock is already issuing bonds through cyptosecurity technology developed by its subsidiary and plans to begin using the technology as a service to allow other businesses to securely issue capital-market products. .
Secure information storage is a valuable usage for blockchain. It can store medical records for health insurance and health care, and Genecoin is promoting a service that allows customers to store a copy of their DNA on blockchain. Similarly, it’s hard to imagine the authentication of IDs, property ownership and value through an immutable ledger not catching on. For insurers, this would be a big boon to reducing fraud and settling claims.
The effect of blockchain for insurance products is a not as clear-cut and will likely take longer to emerge than for banking. The speed and ease with which contracts could be changed and the time-stamping feature of blockchain could, for example, facilitate individualized contracts that reflect actual risk, such as on-demand auto insurance effective only during hours a car is being driven.
Blockchain could prove important in creating and managing large layered commercial insurance programs where different organizations assume separate layers of the risk. Similarly it could also be used to manage insurer-reinsurer transactions.
Another development could lie in affinity group or P2P (peer to peer) social insurance mechanisms that take advantage of blockchain contracts to bypass insurers and fund their own coverage pool. In this case, the role for insurers could be quite specialized in areas like risk management and complex claim handling.
Finally, while there has been tremendous investment in startups using blockchain, there is also a powerful counterforce to keep blockchain open and accessible in the form of the Open Ledger Project. This is a brand new partnership of the Linux Foundation and a diverse group of major companies such as Accenture, Cisco, the London Stock Exchange, IBM and State Street to create a free and open-source version of a new technology under the name “Hyperledger.” Its task is to re-imagine supply chains, contracts and other ways information about ownership and value are exchanged in a digital economy. How would this work, taking into account the ecosystem concept? Think about buying a new house. Imagine signing the multitude of documents, setting up the escrow and title, acknowledging the appraisal, ordering the homeowner’s insurance policy (and tying it to your current car insurance policy) and transferring the money—and doing this all in days rather than weeks or months. Blockchain could help make something like this possible.
- Dash Unveils Evolution Roadmap and Three-Year Plan - June 27, 2017
- Seven Major European Banks Select IBM to Bring Blockchain-Based Trade Finance to Small and Medium Enterprises - June 27, 2017
- EOS Blockchain Operating System Unveils Year-Long Token Distribution - June 27, 2017
- Blockchain Application Platform Lisk Announces First Major Release, Lisk Nano 1.0 - June 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup AdEx, a Decentralized Ad Platform Developer to Launch a Token Sale - June 27, 2017
- First Ever Real Estate Project on Blockchain Launches in Amsterdam – ICO Today - June 26, 2017
- World’s first decentralized speech recognition platform plan to raising up to $3M on ICO - June 26, 2017
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017