Accenture’s North American Managing Director of IT Strategy, Abizer Rangwala , has recently written a blog post outlining his vision regarding how his company is going to utilise Blockchain Technology.
So here we stand at the dawn of 2016, looking forward to change and trying to predict whether blockchain will indeed prove to be the next Internet-like change driver. I’m aligned with those who see the use of blockchain as continuing to gain momentum and expect it will have a profound effect on business. This is starting to happen now, especially in retail and in banking.
He goes on to note the real advantages:
Security is one of the biggest reasons that companies are investing in blockchain research.
The nature of blockchain as a distributed database makes it difficult and prohibitively expensive to unilaterally edit, since so many copies exist.
Trust is another virtue of blockchain.
The blocks provide transparency and record the history of a particular contract or deal. It’s an effective way to establish provenance of a painting or ownership of a diamond, with all the “paperwork” digitally attached to the item, lessening the chance of fraud.
Dealings are more direct. Blockchain transactions are conducted by the parties themselves with no third party or central body acting as intermediary.
It can be more open or more private depending on how the technology is used.
Efficiency is a major draw for blockchain. Contracts or transactions are frictionless and can be done more quickly and less expensively than conventional business dealings, opening the way for very tailored arrangements.
And adds more on how it can be used:
Blockchain can be used to trade stocks and bonds. Nasdaq is building a system to use blockchain in private markets, while Overstock just received SEC approval to use the blockchain to issue its stock via an alternative trading system (ATS) rather than the NYSE and Nasdaq. Overstock is already issuing bonds through cyptosecurity technology developed by its subsidiary and plans to begin using the technology as a service to allow other businesses to securely issue capital-market products. .
Secure information storage is a valuable usage for blockchain. It can store medical records for health insurance and health care, and Genecoin is promoting a service that allows customers to store a copy of their DNA on blockchain. Similarly, it’s hard to imagine the authentication of IDs, property ownership and value through an immutable ledger not catching on. For insurers, this would be a big boon to reducing fraud and settling claims.
The effect of blockchain for insurance products is a not as clear-cut and will likely take longer to emerge than for banking. The speed and ease with which contracts could be changed and the time-stamping feature of blockchain could, for example, facilitate individualized contracts that reflect actual risk, such as on-demand auto insurance effective only during hours a car is being driven.
Blockchain could prove important in creating and managing large layered commercial insurance programs where different organizations assume separate layers of the risk. Similarly it could also be used to manage insurer-reinsurer transactions.
Another development could lie in affinity group or P2P (peer to peer) social insurance mechanisms that take advantage of blockchain contracts to bypass insurers and fund their own coverage pool. In this case, the role for insurers could be quite specialized in areas like risk management and complex claim handling.
Finally, while there has been tremendous investment in startups using blockchain, there is also a powerful counterforce to keep blockchain open and accessible in the form of the Open Ledger Project. This is a brand new partnership of the Linux Foundation and a diverse group of major companies such as Accenture, Cisco, the London Stock Exchange, IBM and State Street to create a free and open-source version of a new technology under the name “Hyperledger.” Its task is to re-imagine supply chains, contracts and other ways information about ownership and value are exchanged in a digital economy. How would this work, taking into account the ecosystem concept? Think about buying a new house. Imagine signing the multitude of documents, setting up the escrow and title, acknowledging the appraisal, ordering the homeowner’s insurance policy (and tying it to your current car insurance policy) and transferring the money—and doing this all in days rather than weeks or months. Blockchain could help make something like this possible.
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017
- Ledger Raises $7m To Accelerate Worldwide Adoption Of Security Solutions For Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Applications - March 31, 2017
- Slock.it secures $2 million seed funding to build Sharing Economy Platform - March 31, 2017
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017