In a recent blog post, Richard Brown, the CTO of banking blockchain consortium R3, has announced that in order to see a successful, large scale blockchain technology for the global financial sector it will require architecture that is designed from scratch.
With Blythe Masters, who is one of the most powerful figures on Wall Street operating in the financial technology space building her own solution after acquiring probably the most successful ledger for banks to use – Hyperledger – building a system. And the open source consortium which includes number of tech giants and leading banks including IBM, Intel, Cisco, JP Morgan, London Stock Exchange Group, and State Street buiding a blockchain project they are calling the ‘Open Ledger Project’, overseen by Linux Foundation… it’s getting crowded.
I believe successful, transformational, large-scale deployments of shared ledger technologies in finance depend on the adoption of an architecture that is designed from the ground up to address the functional and non-functional requirements of banks. And the non-functional requirements are really, really, exacting.
It’s why I hired James Carlyle, Mike Hearn and Ian Grigg to start building out our technical leadership team: I might be CTO but I’m not remotely clever or experienced enough even to begin to figure out the answers to these questions.
At core, he believes that this is all about moving from firm-level systems to industry-level systems.
Today, each bank has its own ledgers, which record that firm’s view of its agreements and positions with respect to its customer set and its counterparts – and its counterparts, in turn, maintain their views. This duplication, whilst robust, is expensive and can lead to inconsistencies, and it drives a need for costly matching, reconciliation and fixing of errors by and among the various parties to a transaction. To the extent that differences remain between two firms’ views of the same transaction, this is also a source of risk, some of it potentially systemic.
The maturation of cryptographic techniques, exemplified in part by “blockchain technology”, provides a new opportunity: the possibility of authoritative systems of record that are securely shared between firms. This provides the opportunity to implement new shared platforms for the recording of financial events and processing of business logic: one where a single global logical ledger is authoritative for agreements between firms recorded on it, even though the relationships and obligations recorded remain between those firms.
3 has signed up 42 global banks to develop this global ledger technology standard. The banks involved in the R3’s consortium include Banco Santander, Bank of America, Barclays, BBVA, BMO Financial Group, BNP Paribas, BNY Mellon, CIBC, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Citi, Commerzbank, Credit Suisse, Danske Bank, Deutsche Bank, J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, ING Bank, Intesa Sanpaolo, Macquarie Bank, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Mizuho Financial Group, Morgan Stanley, National Australia Bank, Natixis, Nomura, Nordea, Northern Trust, OP Financial Group, Scotiabank, State Street, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Royal Bank of Canada, Royal Bank of Scotland, SEB, Societe Generale, Toronto-Dominion Bank, UBS, UniCredit, U.S. Bancorp, Wells Fargo and Westpac Banking Corporation.
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017
- investFeed Showcases First Version of Cryptocurrency-Based Social Investment Platform - August 3, 2017
- WePower Launches Blockchain-Powered Green Energy Platform and Token Sale - August 3, 2017
- DECENT Network introduces ATMChain - August 3, 2017
- Neufund Launches ICO Transparency Monitor to Judge ICOs Based on Smart Contract Design - August 3, 2017
- Bitfinex announces Ethfinex – a new community discussion and exchange platform for Ethereum crowdsales and tokens. - August 3, 2017
- Dutch Foundation Wants to Disrupt Charities Using Blockchain Technology - August 3, 2017
- Everex Officially Partners With Myanmar-based MicroMoney - August 3, 2017
- Tech Bureau Japan Launches Cryptocurrency Fundraising Medium, “COMSA” - August 3, 2017
- StreamSpace Token Generation Event to Support Innovative Film Distribution Platform - August 2, 2017
- Singapore Authorities Clarify Regulatory Position On ICOs – Securities in Some Cases – Following SEC Lead - August 2, 2017