A short two weeks since Tunisia announced plans to move their digital currency, the eDinar, to Blockchain technology, the People’s Bank of China, China’s central bank, wants to launch its own digital currencies to cut the costs of circulating traditional paper money and boost policymakers’ control of money supply. And the maturing of Blockchain technology is part of the reason they are moving forward.
At the Digital Currency Symposium held in Beijing on January 20, 2016, digital currency experts from the People’s Bank of China, Citibank and Deloitte and Touche engaged in a discussion and exchange regarding several topics including overall frameworks for the issuance of digital currency, national digital currency in the context of current currency developments and state-issued cryptocurrency. People’s Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan attended the meeting, with People’s Bank of China Deputy Governor Fan Yifei chairing the meeting. The meeting was also attended by experts from related research institutions, major financial institutions and advisory bodies.
The meeting pointed out that as information technology has developed and technologies such as the mobile Internet, trusted and controlled cloud computation, secure terminal storage and the blockchain have matured, significant changes in payment methods have occurred worldwide and the development of digital currencies presents both opportunities and challenges to the issuance of currency by central banks.
The People’s Bank of China has taken this subject seriously, establishing a special research team as early as 2014 and further bolstering said team in the beginning of 2015. The team has since conducted in-depth research on various subjects, including frameworks for the issuance of digital currency and related business operations, key digital currency technologies, environments for the issuance and circulation of digital currencies, legal issues faced by digital currencies, the effects of digital currencies on the economic and financial system, the relationship between fiat digital currency and privately issued digital currency and international experience in the issuance of digital currencies.
The minutes from the meeting stated that under China’s new economic policies, the exploration of the issuance of digital currency by the central bank has positive practical significance and far-reaching historical significance. The issuance of digital currency can reduce the significant costs of issuing and circulating traditional currencies, improve the convenience and transparency of economic transactions, reduce money laundering, tax evasion and other criminal acts, enhance the central bank’s control of over the money supply and currency circulation, better support economic and social development and aid in extending financial services to under-served populations.
Going forward, the establishment of a system for issuing and circulating a digital currency will help China build an entirely new financial infrastructure, further improve China’s payment systems, improve payment and settlement efficiency and promote increased overall economic quality and efficiency.
The consensus of the meeting was to urge the People’s Bank of China’s digital currency research team to actively incorporate important results and practical experience from digital currency research performed within China and abroad as well as continue to advance their work on the basis of their preliminary work, establish more effective organizational safeguard mechanisms, further clarify the strategic objectives of central bank digital currency issuance, thoroughly research key technologies, research various applications for digital currency and strive to introduce a digital currency issued by the central bank as soon as possible.
The design of the digital currency should be based on sound economic, safety and service principles, ensure a low cost of use for the digital currency and wide coverage, achieve seamless integration of the digital currency with other payment tools and enhance the usefulness and vitality of the digital currency.
While moving forward with research into digital currencies, the People’s Bank of China has established communications channels with relevant international agencies and Internet companies and has conducted extensive discussion with domestic and foreign financial institutions as well as traditional card-based payment operators. Both Chinese and foreign nationals who participated in the discussions take this work very seriously and conducted in-depth exchanges with experts within the People’s Bank of China system regarding related theoretical research, exploration of applications, practices and development pathways.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017