A short two weeks since Tunisia announced plans to move their digital currency, the eDinar, to Blockchain technology, the People’s Bank of China, China’s central bank, wants to launch its own digital currencies to cut the costs of circulating traditional paper money and boost policymakers’ control of money supply. And the maturing of Blockchain technology is part of the reason they are moving forward.
At the Digital Currency Symposium held in Beijing on January 20, 2016, digital currency experts from the People’s Bank of China, Citibank and Deloitte and Touche engaged in a discussion and exchange regarding several topics including overall frameworks for the issuance of digital currency, national digital currency in the context of current currency developments and state-issued cryptocurrency. People’s Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan attended the meeting, with People’s Bank of China Deputy Governor Fan Yifei chairing the meeting. The meeting was also attended by experts from related research institutions, major financial institutions and advisory bodies.
The meeting pointed out that as information technology has developed and technologies such as the mobile Internet, trusted and controlled cloud computation, secure terminal storage and the blockchain have matured, significant changes in payment methods have occurred worldwide and the development of digital currencies presents both opportunities and challenges to the issuance of currency by central banks.
The People’s Bank of China has taken this subject seriously, establishing a special research team as early as 2014 and further bolstering said team in the beginning of 2015. The team has since conducted in-depth research on various subjects, including frameworks for the issuance of digital currency and related business operations, key digital currency technologies, environments for the issuance and circulation of digital currencies, legal issues faced by digital currencies, the effects of digital currencies on the economic and financial system, the relationship between fiat digital currency and privately issued digital currency and international experience in the issuance of digital currencies.
The minutes from the meeting stated that under China’s new economic policies, the exploration of the issuance of digital currency by the central bank has positive practical significance and far-reaching historical significance. The issuance of digital currency can reduce the significant costs of issuing and circulating traditional currencies, improve the convenience and transparency of economic transactions, reduce money laundering, tax evasion and other criminal acts, enhance the central bank’s control of over the money supply and currency circulation, better support economic and social development and aid in extending financial services to under-served populations.
Going forward, the establishment of a system for issuing and circulating a digital currency will help China build an entirely new financial infrastructure, further improve China’s payment systems, improve payment and settlement efficiency and promote increased overall economic quality and efficiency.
The consensus of the meeting was to urge the People’s Bank of China’s digital currency research team to actively incorporate important results and practical experience from digital currency research performed within China and abroad as well as continue to advance their work on the basis of their preliminary work, establish more effective organizational safeguard mechanisms, further clarify the strategic objectives of central bank digital currency issuance, thoroughly research key technologies, research various applications for digital currency and strive to introduce a digital currency issued by the central bank as soon as possible.
The design of the digital currency should be based on sound economic, safety and service principles, ensure a low cost of use for the digital currency and wide coverage, achieve seamless integration of the digital currency with other payment tools and enhance the usefulness and vitality of the digital currency.
While moving forward with research into digital currencies, the People’s Bank of China has established communications channels with relevant international agencies and Internet companies and has conducted extensive discussion with domestic and foreign financial institutions as well as traditional card-based payment operators. Both Chinese and foreign nationals who participated in the discussions take this work very seriously and conducted in-depth exchanges with experts within the People’s Bank of China system regarding related theoretical research, exploration of applications, practices and development pathways.
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Announces ICO - February 1, 2017
- SibCoin – the Cryptocurrency Conquered Siberia and Outsailed Dash - February 1, 2017