SolarCoin is a digital currency rewarding solar energy producers.
Launched in January 2014 and inspired from Bitcoin and Blockchain Tech whereby transactions are recorded and validated by a peer to peer network of computers, SolarCoin presents the additional advantage of being coupled to a real-world asset: solar electricity.
Each MWh of solar electricity produced by a photovoltaic installation awards one SolarCoin. Put another way, one can also understand that SolarCoin is Solar Miles for solarelectricity generation… and it’s free!
What is the use of SolarCoin? In itself, a currency has a value assigned to it by a community of users, a social group, as a means of payment and value circulation.
Additionally, SolarCoin has a social utility for its community: by rewarding the owner of a solar photovoltaic system, SolarCoin acts as an incentive, stimulating the implementation of solar power worldwide. With a forward value aimed at a couple dozen dollars, SolarCoin may thus reduce the payback time for the solar installation as well as increase its returns.
The idea of creating a renewable energy-based digital currency is derived from an academic paper “Deko: An electricity-backed currency proposal” in parallel to the publication of “The Nature of Value“, available from Columbia University Press. Nick Gogerty, its author, states that the initiative could provide an effective incentive for people to purchase solar panels and possibly act as a substitute to feed-in tariffs currently in place (FIT, netmeetering…) and encourage more people to participate in renewable energies.
SolarCoin is already present in 17 countries and is intended to be circulated worldwide: any owner of a solar photovoltaic installation may apply and claim his SolarCoinsfor free. To do so, the solar owner simply registers his solar installation online with data proving the existence and operation of his solar installation, using the form available on the solarcoin.org, solcrypto.
The grant mechanism for delivering SolarCoins is based on a simple formula: 1SolarCoin (§ SLR) per MWh of solar electricity generated, regardless of where in the world the energy is produced. This means that a residential solar installation producing yearly 4MWh will receive annually § 4SLR.
SolarCoins are granted by the SolarCoin Foundation to the Wallet Address of the solar owner and can be kept online through the SolarChange platform. Thereafter, every 6 months, SolarCoins will be sent to the solar owner, taking into account the electricity produced, and for as long as the solar installation will be connected to the Grid.
For the first online registration, the grant is also retroactive to the interconnection date to the Grid, or January 2010, whichever comes first. SolarCoin therefore acts as a reward to the world’s 7 million current solar owners and as an additional incentive for future solar owners.
Currently, already more than 70,000 SolarCoins have been granted to owners of a solar photovoltaic system or CSP (concentrated solar power). This is a tiny fraction of what is to be granted, given the 240GWp of solar panels already installed worldwide at the end of 2015. This figure therefore represents 240million SLR to be potentially granted. By 2030, the International Energy Agency estimates that installed capacity could rise upwards of 900GWp and targets 5.500GWp by 2040. 98.5 BillionSolarCoins were created and set aside to reward solar energy producers.
The digital currency is managed by the SolarCoin Foundation which is composed of renewable energy experts as well as economists who believe that solar energy should cover a significant part of our world’s energy needs.
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Announces ICO - February 1, 2017
- SibCoin – the Cryptocurrency Conquered Siberia and Outsailed Dash - February 1, 2017