A new Blockchain-based initiative in Africa aims to stamp out corruption and free up trillions of dollars in locked capital for infrastructure development according to an article in Bitscan.
OpenLedger-based organisation Bitland will provide services to allow individuals and groups in 28 communities in Kumasi, Ghana to survey land and record title deeds on the Bitland Blockchain – providing a permanent and auditable record – as well as acting as liaison with the government to help resolve disputes. The intention is to expand across the African continent.
It is estimated that today in Ghana around 78 per cent of land is unregistered.
Bitland could open up trillions of dollars in locked capital in low-income countries like Ghana and the Bitland team will use Blockchain technology to help accelerate infrastructure development by freeing up capital – without the corruption and abuses of power that have plagued such projects in the past.
They plan to set up solar-powered Bitland centres that will function as hardware hubs for the Bitland Wireless Network which will double as education centres for locals to learn about digital solutions and how to get involved in the project.
Bitland will use the OpenLedger platform as the basis of their Blockchain infrastructure.
From the article:
“OpenLedger is built on top of the BitShares platform and its MIT-licensed Graphene blockchain technology,” explained Ronny Boesing, CEO of crypto exchange CCEDK – OpenLedger’s Danish registrar.
“BitShares was recently confirmed as a partner with the Microsoft Azure BaaS, and the Bitland project reflects the vast number of opportunities emerging as more mainstream companies realise that this is what they have all been waiting for to maximize income and future communication. As more organisations join the OpenLedger/BitShares platform, you can be sure that this Decentralised Conglomerate will exemplify the future of global economics.”
The company will issue a digital currency called Cadastrals, which will act as the entry token for their Blockchain platform.
“To get through the first year of operations, the team has allotted 20 million Cadastrals to be used in an ICO to establish the first operational Bitland Center,” added Larry Christopher Bates, Bitland’s Chief Security Officer. “The ICO will be hosted by Danish exchange CCEDK, and the funds will be held in escrow on the Openledger platform.”
Plans are the Bitland Fund will collect network fees and any money taken into the main reserve and redistribute them to projects within the Bitland communities, thereby directly funding infrastructure provision, with oversight from the relevant governments.
As the platform is developed into the future, it will add the ability for a voting system to be part of the project which will enable local communities to become directly involved in decision-making.
“The OpenLedger team is very excited to be adding Bitland to the Decentralised Conglomerate,’ continued Boesing. “Now, the infrastructure of the OpenLedger system will grow to include real estate, commercial property investments, and development of third world countries as part of its future plans. As Bitland plans to work with governments around the world to register land titles on the OpenLedger blockchain, the ecosystem will represent not just smart contracts, but smart cities. The OpenLedger platform will help bring transparency to nations where corruption has been the main impedance to progress, and further it will allow remittance and investments to flow into underdeveloped areas without big companies taking a large cut. The Bitland project is about more than registering land titles: this is the first step to bringing true democracy and meritocracy to the world.”
In the end, the company claims people will be able to use their mobile devices to register a plot of land with GPS accuracy, file a claim, register a dispute, sell or purchase land. As OpenLedger also allows smart contracts, the mitigates the trust issue, so that microloans can be issued and government contracts fulfilled on a platform that tracks progress and distributes funds accordingly.
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017
- Beijing Officials Demand Chinese Blockchain Standards - March 30, 2017
- Spanish Bank BBVA joins Hyperledger Project - March 30, 2017
- Alibaba to Tackle Counterfeit Food in China With Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- Cosmos Announces Upcoming Token Sale to Build Internet of Blockchains - March 29, 2017
- Blockchain Technologies Corp. Speaks Before Maine State Legislature Committee on Blockchain Voting - March 29, 2017
- Yoyow.org – a New Chinese Blockchain-Based Social Media Platform - March 29, 2017
- Singapore-Based Blockchain Startup REIDAO Opens Up A New, Affordable Way To Participate In Real Estate Opportunities - March 29, 2017
- ShapeShift Raises $10.4 Million in Series A Funding Round as Sales Skyrocket - March 29, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Joins the Chamber of Digital Commerce - March 29, 2017
- ICONOMI Announces World’s First Digital Assets Repayment Programme - March 29, 2017
- Hijro Partners with SAP Ariba on Blockchain Technology – Opens Trade Finance Beta to Ariba Supplier Network - March 29, 2017
- IBM, Natixis, and Trafigura introduce first-ever Blockchain solution for U.S. crude oil market - March 28, 2017
- Humaniq Opens ICO Pre-orders to Bank Transfers - March 27, 2017
- OpenLedger’s Apptrade has received a $100,000 USD boost from OpenLedger ApS - March 27, 2017
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017