The CTO of R3, Richard G Brown, has revealed today they are working on a distributed ledger platform for financial services called Corda.
I’m delighted to confirm that R3 and our member banks are working on a distributed ledger platform for financial services: Corda.
For the last six months, my team and contributors from our membership have been building a distributed ledger platform prototype from the ground up, specifically designed to manage financial agreements between regulated financial institutions. I am massively excited by the progress our team, led by James Carlyle, our Chief Engineer, and Mike Hearn, our Lead Platform Engineer, are making and I think the time is right to share some details.
Corda: A Distributed Ledger for Recording and Managing Financial Agreements
Corda is a distributed ledger platform designed from the ground up to record, manage and synchronise financial agreements between regulated financial institutions. It is heavily inspired by and captures the benefits of blockchain systems, without the design choices that make blockchains inappropriate for many banking scenarios.
Corda’s key features include:
- Corda has no unnecessary global sharing of data: only those parties with a legitimate need to know can see the data within an agreement
- Corda choreographs workflow between firms without a central controller
- Corda achieves consensus between firms at the level of individual deals, not the level of the system
- Corda’s design directly enables regulatory and supervisory observer nodes
- Corda transactions are validated by parties to the transaction rather than a broader pool of unrelated validators
- Corda supports a variety of consensus mechanisms
- Corda records an explicit link between human-language legal prose documents and smart contract code
- Corda is built on industry-standard tools
- Corda has no native cryptocurrency
Brown goes on in the blog to talk about how they will handle core elements of Blockchain technology.
A critical piece of the Corda philosophy is that our problem is to ensure that “I know that you see the same details about a shared fact that I see”.
But this does not mean that a third party down the road also needs to see it: our consensus occurs between parties to deals, not between all participants.
Furthermore, in Corda, the only people who need to be in agreement about a fact are the stakeholders to that fact: if you and I agree about something that pertains only to us then why should we care what some completely unrelated third party thinks? And why would we even think of sending them a copy so they could opine on it? So, in Corda, we let users write their validation logic in time-tested industry-standard tools and we define who needs to be in agreement on a transaction’s validity on a contract-by-contract basis.
Just like every other distributed ledger out there, we need to be sure that two valid, but conflicting, transactions cannot both be simultaneously active in the system. But we also recognise that different scenarios require different tradeoffs. So Corda’s design allows for a range of “uniqueness service” implementations, one of which is a “traditional blockchain”. But it doesn’t need to be and, for our purposes, we also need implementations that make different tradeoffs under Brewer’s CAP theorem: in particular, some financial services use-cases need to prioritise consistency at the expense of availability in the event of a network partition.
On immutability and authentication:
Here, Corda’s design departs very little from existing systems: our data structures are immutable and our building block is the exchange of digitally-signed transactions.
So Corda is very traditional in some respects – we directly apply the “authentication”, “immutability” and “uniqueness service” features of blockchains but we depart radically when it comes to the scope of “consensus” (parties to individual deals rather than all participants) and “validation” (the legitimate stakeholders to a deal rather than the whole universe or some arbitrary set of ‘validators’).
Corda’s design is the result of detailed analysis and prototyping with their members and will be open sourced when the code has matured further.
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017