Hosted by Syed Kamall MEP and in conjunction with The Cobden Centre, European Digital Currency & Blockchain Technology Forum (EDCAB) is co-organising a flagship event on Virtual Currencies and Blockchain Technology in the European Parliament. The event, Virtual Currencies and Blockchain Technology: Europe’s Future will consist of an exhibition in the European Parliament which will culminate in a series of exclusive roundtables for industry and policymakers.
The Exhibition, which will be held in the central hub area of the European Parliament, includes informative displays that focus on virtual currencies and Blockchain, the benefits for citizens, the broader economic and societal potential and common myths. The Exhibition will run from Monday 18th April to Thursday 21st April and is targeted at MEPs and their staff as well as other EU institutions, authorities and agencies.
About the Roundtables
Three roundtables, moderated by EDCAB Founder, Siân Jones, will run alongside the Exhibition focusing on Virtual Currencies: The future of money, Blockchain : Trusting distributed ledgers and Regulating virtual currencies and Blockchain: A balancing act.
What will be discussed?
Three roundtables including presentations from industry experts and open discussion moderated by EDCAB Founder, Siân Jones, will focus on:
● Virtual currencies: The future of money – setting out how Europe’s economy might benefit from public and private alternatives to government issued currency, hosted by Syed Kamall MEP. Presentations from: Harvard Law School, the Sorbonne, Blockchain & UK Treasury.
● Blockchain: Trusting distributed ledgers – looking at how Blockchain and use cases can improve trade, economic prosperity, governance and the lives of citizens, hosted by Eva Kaili MEP. Presentations from: Nasdaq, Guardtime, Epiphyte & Europol.
● Regulating virtual currencies and Blockchain: A balancing act – exploring effective and proportionate legislation to ensure adequate safeguards while encouraging innovation, hosted by Ashley Fox MEP. Presentations from: IMF, OECD, Bank for International Settlements & ESMA.
Download the full roundtable programme.
What is the purpose of the roundtables?
The roundtables form part of a series of activities organised by EDCAB to educate and engage with EU policymakers to shape a sound regulatory and policy agenda for virtual currencies and distributed ledger technology in the European Union.
The objective of the sessions is to facilitate a safe place to exchange views and ensure that policy decisions are taken in full knowledge of the virtual currency and Blockchain industry business perspective.
Who is participating?
Roundtables aim to bring together a broad spectrum of industry ranging from traditional financial service players to newly emerging fintech companies with policymakers across all EU institutions, banking authority representatives and academia. Confirmed participants include Bank of International Settlements, Bank of England, Barclays, Blockchain, Circle Internet Financial, ESMA, Europol, French Banking Federation, Harvard, IMF, Microsoft, Nasdaq, OECD, Unicredit, and the World Bank.
Download the full participant list.
After the roundtables, EDCAB will produce reports to summarise discussions, areas of further collaboration and next steps.
#EUBlockchainExpo – Live coverage
EDCAB will be providing live coverage of the expo and roundtables. Check here for all the latest coverage, as it happens.
Monday 19 April - Thursday 21 April 2016
Follow all EDCAB coverage of the expo and roundtables on Twitter: @EDCAB_EU
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017