Hosted by Syed Kamall MEP and in conjunction with The Cobden Centre, European Digital Currency & Blockchain Technology Forum (EDCAB) is co-organising a flagship event on Virtual Currencies and Blockchain Technology in the European Parliament. The event, Virtual Currencies and Blockchain Technology: Europe’s Future will consist of an exhibition in the European Parliament which will culminate in a series of exclusive roundtables for industry and policymakers.
The Exhibition, which will be held in the central hub area of the European Parliament, includes informative displays that focus on virtual currencies and Blockchain, the benefits for citizens, the broader economic and societal potential and common myths. The Exhibition will run from Monday 18th April to Thursday 21st April and is targeted at MEPs and their staff as well as other EU institutions, authorities and agencies.
About the Roundtables
Three roundtables, moderated by EDCAB Founder, Siân Jones, will run alongside the Exhibition focusing on Virtual Currencies: The future of money, Blockchain : Trusting distributed ledgers and Regulating virtual currencies and Blockchain: A balancing act.
What will be discussed?
Three roundtables including presentations from industry experts and open discussion moderated by EDCAB Founder, Siân Jones, will focus on:
● Virtual currencies: The future of money – setting out how Europe’s economy might benefit from public and private alternatives to government issued currency, hosted by Syed Kamall MEP. Presentations from: Harvard Law School, the Sorbonne, Blockchain & UK Treasury.
● Blockchain: Trusting distributed ledgers – looking at how Blockchain and use cases can improve trade, economic prosperity, governance and the lives of citizens, hosted by Eva Kaili MEP. Presentations from: Nasdaq, Guardtime, Epiphyte & Europol.
● Regulating virtual currencies and Blockchain: A balancing act – exploring effective and proportionate legislation to ensure adequate safeguards while encouraging innovation, hosted by Ashley Fox MEP. Presentations from: IMF, OECD, Bank for International Settlements & ESMA.
Download the full roundtable programme.
What is the purpose of the roundtables?
The roundtables form part of a series of activities organised by EDCAB to educate and engage with EU policymakers to shape a sound regulatory and policy agenda for virtual currencies and distributed ledger technology in the European Union.
The objective of the sessions is to facilitate a safe place to exchange views and ensure that policy decisions are taken in full knowledge of the virtual currency and Blockchain industry business perspective.
Who is participating?
Roundtables aim to bring together a broad spectrum of industry ranging from traditional financial service players to newly emerging fintech companies with policymakers across all EU institutions, banking authority representatives and academia. Confirmed participants include Bank of International Settlements, Bank of England, Barclays, Blockchain, Circle Internet Financial, ESMA, Europol, French Banking Federation, Harvard, IMF, Microsoft, Nasdaq, OECD, Unicredit, and the World Bank.
Download the full participant list.
After the roundtables, EDCAB will produce reports to summarise discussions, areas of further collaboration and next steps.
#EUBlockchainExpo – Live coverage
EDCAB will be providing live coverage of the expo and roundtables. Check here for all the latest coverage, as it happens.
Monday 19 April - Thursday 21 April 2016
Follow all EDCAB coverage of the expo and roundtables on Twitter: @EDCAB_EU
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Announces ICO - February 1, 2017