Fermat, a decentralized and Blockchain-enabled modular app platform two years in the making, today announced the publication of a landmark white paper describing an extraordinarily ambitious project intended to revolutionize peer-to-peer economy and mobile software development.
After 2 years in stealth, 60+ full time contributors now collaborating to develop global open source platform that will launch the “Internet of People”.
The app framework, which incentivizes collaborative, component-based design and shared ownership tracked and paid over the Blockchain, is now in alpha testing and has already received critical acclaim from industry heavyweights. In a recently released White Paper, the Fermat organization outlines its vision of a mobile platform that will enable users to connect with each other, without the need for a third party intermediary (company or centralized marketplace) providing “matching” services. Fermat users will be able to chat, get a taxi, rent apartments, find a date, publish and search classifieds, find a job, hire or provide freelance services, get digital coupons, vouchers, and discounts, pay with fiat or cryptocurrency, and much more.
In addition, Fermat is cryptocurrency-enabled to allow for the global exchange of value. Peer-to-peer by design, Fermat features built-in privacy controls for all transaction types. The result is a peer-to-peer platform that eliminates intermediaries and enables ownership and monetization of digital content and personal information.
The Fermat vision calls for the development of a large library of sharing economy mobile applications through this platform. To achieve this goal, Fermat proposes a new software development model that allows for collaboration and increased efficiency. It introduces the concept of component ownership on large, open source projects, incentivizing creators with a stream of recurring micropayments paid by end users and enforced by the system itself. These reusable software components can be combined and recombined across an ever-expanding library of highly customizable commercial applications, always preserving the component property rights and the revenues of their owners.
Started in 2014, the Fermat project has already drawn specialized contributors from all corners of the globe, including academic PhDs, cryptographic experts, bitcoin entrepreneurs, teams of developers and business world luminaries from Australia to the United States and from Europe to South America. The most popular Sharing Economy apps are being ported into Fermat in a p2p format. Fermat p2p apps will finally provide consumers with a choice to either use existing services with now-traditional business models or to take advantage of Fermat’s more efficient “middleman-free” matching engines which could dramatically shave costs.
By its design, Fermat will become a catalyst in the evolution of the current “sharing economy” to a more robust “p2p economy” across multiple industries. Fermat consists of a p2p network, framework and an ecosystem of apps, all built with Java programming language to enable multi-OS compatibility. Fermat is designed to be Blockchainenabled and fully censorship-resistant, ensuring that each individual user is in direct control of their own personal digital footprint. Fermat’s network consists of specialized nodes that enable devices to communicate with each other to securely and autonomously exchange information, while Fermat’s framework sits on top of a device’s OS like an extension that supports the ecosystem of Fermat apps. This ecosystem is formed, like a complex organism from a network of cells, from a vast set of interconnected, reusable atomic components, with several of them being the user interface (a Fermat app).
Fermat has developed an application token system to incentivize the development of infrastructure and applications. Tokens called fermats will incentivize node operators to provide hardware and bandwidth and to compensate developers for writing code and crafting components. The Fermat system is designed to outsource the handling of token transactions to the secure and distributed Bitcoin network.
While the Fermat Blockchain will record the transactions of newly issued tokens, value transfers from user to user will be handled directly by the Bitcoin network. CEO and Founder of Fermat, Luis Fernando Molina, said that he envisions a future where people are more important than legal entities like corporations.
“At its very core, Fermat is about freedom. The whole design orbits around the concept of users determining the level of privacy they prefer; whether they choose to have intermediaries or not; which currency they prefer to use and so on. Fermat was designed to empower an ‘Internet of People’ in contrast to a ‘Web of Companies’ and to advance the P2P era and economy.”
“The most challenging aspect was to architect a system to deliver that future in the least amount of time possible. With that in mind a system of massive collaboration emerged when we introduced the concept of component ownership and a monthly stream of micro-payments for their owners,” Molina added.
Philip Farah, Member of Fermat’s Board of Directors and former Global Head of Financial Services Consulting at Cisco Systems, said that Fermat will take the peer-to-peer economy to the next level.
“Beyond the obvious advantages to the developer community, Fermat will deliver significant benefits to end users and businesses. For end users, it will lower transaction costs for both buyers and sellers and give back user control over one’s personal information and digital content. For businesses, it will provide access to low cost digital marketing and distribution channels and a platform to deliver value-added services such as market research and insurance,” said Farah.
For more information on Fermat, visit www.Fermat.org.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017