Fermat, a decentralized and Blockchain-enabled modular app platform two years in the making, today announced the publication of a landmark white paper describing an extraordinarily ambitious project intended to revolutionize peer-to-peer economy and mobile software development.
After 2 years in stealth, 60+ full time contributors now collaborating to develop global open source platform that will launch the “Internet of People”.
The app framework, which incentivizes collaborative, component-based design and shared ownership tracked and paid over the Blockchain, is now in alpha testing and has already received critical acclaim from industry heavyweights. In a recently released White Paper, the Fermat organization outlines its vision of a mobile platform that will enable users to connect with each other, without the need for a third party intermediary (company or centralized marketplace) providing “matching” services. Fermat users will be able to chat, get a taxi, rent apartments, find a date, publish and search classifieds, find a job, hire or provide freelance services, get digital coupons, vouchers, and discounts, pay with fiat or cryptocurrency, and much more.
In addition, Fermat is cryptocurrency-enabled to allow for the global exchange of value. Peer-to-peer by design, Fermat features built-in privacy controls for all transaction types. The result is a peer-to-peer platform that eliminates intermediaries and enables ownership and monetization of digital content and personal information.
The Fermat vision calls for the development of a large library of sharing economy mobile applications through this platform. To achieve this goal, Fermat proposes a new software development model that allows for collaboration and increased efficiency. It introduces the concept of component ownership on large, open source projects, incentivizing creators with a stream of recurring micropayments paid by end users and enforced by the system itself. These reusable software components can be combined and recombined across an ever-expanding library of highly customizable commercial applications, always preserving the component property rights and the revenues of their owners.
Started in 2014, the Fermat project has already drawn specialized contributors from all corners of the globe, including academic PhDs, cryptographic experts, bitcoin entrepreneurs, teams of developers and business world luminaries from Australia to the United States and from Europe to South America. The most popular Sharing Economy apps are being ported into Fermat in a p2p format. Fermat p2p apps will finally provide consumers with a choice to either use existing services with now-traditional business models or to take advantage of Fermat’s more efficient “middleman-free” matching engines which could dramatically shave costs.
By its design, Fermat will become a catalyst in the evolution of the current “sharing economy” to a more robust “p2p economy” across multiple industries. Fermat consists of a p2p network, framework and an ecosystem of apps, all built with Java programming language to enable multi-OS compatibility. Fermat is designed to be Blockchainenabled and fully censorship-resistant, ensuring that each individual user is in direct control of their own personal digital footprint. Fermat’s network consists of specialized nodes that enable devices to communicate with each other to securely and autonomously exchange information, while Fermat’s framework sits on top of a device’s OS like an extension that supports the ecosystem of Fermat apps. This ecosystem is formed, like a complex organism from a network of cells, from a vast set of interconnected, reusable atomic components, with several of them being the user interface (a Fermat app).
Fermat has developed an application token system to incentivize the development of infrastructure and applications. Tokens called fermats will incentivize node operators to provide hardware and bandwidth and to compensate developers for writing code and crafting components. The Fermat system is designed to outsource the handling of token transactions to the secure and distributed Bitcoin network.
While the Fermat Blockchain will record the transactions of newly issued tokens, value transfers from user to user will be handled directly by the Bitcoin network. CEO and Founder of Fermat, Luis Fernando Molina, said that he envisions a future where people are more important than legal entities like corporations.
“At its very core, Fermat is about freedom. The whole design orbits around the concept of users determining the level of privacy they prefer; whether they choose to have intermediaries or not; which currency they prefer to use and so on. Fermat was designed to empower an ‘Internet of People’ in contrast to a ‘Web of Companies’ and to advance the P2P era and economy.”
“The most challenging aspect was to architect a system to deliver that future in the least amount of time possible. With that in mind a system of massive collaboration emerged when we introduced the concept of component ownership and a monthly stream of micro-payments for their owners,” Molina added.
Philip Farah, Member of Fermat’s Board of Directors and former Global Head of Financial Services Consulting at Cisco Systems, said that Fermat will take the peer-to-peer economy to the next level.
“Beyond the obvious advantages to the developer community, Fermat will deliver significant benefits to end users and businesses. For end users, it will lower transaction costs for both buyers and sellers and give back user control over one’s personal information and digital content. For businesses, it will provide access to low cost digital marketing and distribution channels and a platform to deliver value-added services such as market research and insurance,” said Farah.
For more information on Fermat, visit www.Fermat.org.
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017