BlockCrushr Labs say they have a rock solid solution to revolutionize P2P (person to person) street giving, using “Blockchain” technology to ensure that funds given to buy meals and other necessities are spent for their intended purpose. The system addresses diversion of funds and the declining prevalence of people carrying cash, by allowing people to anonymously load “digital food wallets” of homeless or marginalized people in their neighborhoods through common payment methods such as smartphones, credit cards and Paypal. The “smart wallets” can be spent securely at participating food retailers.
“Nobody should feel the desperation of true hunger in a society which has so much abundance,” said Scott Burke, founder of BlockCrushr Labs and author of the white paper released today describing the system. “Blockchain platforms such as Ethereum have provided us with exciting tools to solve this problem with a community-based, free-market solution that taps into the global payments system. Secure, 1-way donations which can only be spent on food or other necessities could give vulnerable and homeless persons more predictability and dignity – Improving the quality of their lives while giving them the food stability they need in order to move their own lives forward.”
According to one study of panhandling in San Francisco, although 94% of panhandlers use the money they collect to buy food, 44% also use it to buy drugs and alcohol[i]. This dynamic is a main inhibitor of P2P street giving, due to many people’s reluctance to feel like they are contributing to someone’s addiction – one that may be keeping them on the street, or have put them there in the first place.
The other primary barrier to giving is that people just aren’t carrying cash anymore. 90% of US citizens never, rarely or only sometimes carry cash[ii]. BlockCrushr’s proposed solution implements the payment methods people use daily, leveraging access to the global banking system while providing a secure, anonymous, 1-way firewall for givers.
The white paper, entitled “Ending Homeless Hunger With The Blockchain”, describes a system where homeless or vulnerable people hand out small business cards or pieces of paper with a web site and a scannable QR code on them to people who may wish to give them money for food. The giver takes the card, downloads an app and scans the code to access a secure checkout page to donate. Recipients of funds can check their balance at a participating retailer or anywhere with internet access such as a public internet terminal at a local library.
Recipients are also issued a “private key” to spend funds, which is a card or piece of paper with another QR code on it. Participating food retailers scan their private key in order to check the balance and complete the transaction. The smart wallets allow the possibility of daily spending limits or other restrictions to maintain the effectiveness and integrity of the system.
BlockCrushr Labs describes the proposal as a first draft and they are asking for feedback from any and all interested parties.
The white paper, “Ending homeless hunger with the Blockchain”, can be downloaded from BlockCrushr Labs’ web site here.
BlockCrushr Labs is a Blockchain research and commercialization laboratory based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. BlockCrushr was founded in April 2016 by Scott Burke, a full stack developer and designer, and the former CEO of several successful internet companies with over 20 years of deep technology experience.
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017
- World’s First Cryptocurrency Fund Listed on Exchange - December 25, 2016
- Dubai Future Accelerators Program Invests US$33m In Pilot Projects Including Blockchain - December 23, 2016
- IC3 Publishes Research on Blockchain Utilization of Intel Software Guard Extensions Offering Enhanced Protection - December 23, 2016