Two clinicians, Greg Irving, of the University of Cambridge and John Holden, a General Practitioner – have devised a new system to prevent clinical trial documents being secretly altered to make new medications look more effective than they are.
Dr Irving said:
“Trust in scientific research has been diminished by evidence that some data is being manipulated. The declaration of Helsinki states that every clinical trial must be registered in a publicly accessible database before recruitment of the first subject. Yet despite the creation of numerous trial registries, problems, such as differences between pre-specified and reported outcomes, persist.
Their successful application of this method to a recently reported, randomised clinical trial on cardiovascular diabetes & ethanol, is outlined in a paper that has just passed peer review on open science publishing platform F1000Research.
Undeclared changes to protocols is a major issue in clinical research. If initial analyses show a medication to be ineffective, researchers can continue to analyse new health outcomes until a positive result is found. If only the positive findings are reported, the medication might be mistakenly approved.
Despite an international mandate requiring all trials to be registered before the experiments begin, the problem still persists as universal enforcement is difficult.
A Blockchain is a decentralized database of bitcoin transactions; every transaction is publically recorded, timestamped and stored across a large, international network of computers, making it impossible for the records to be tampered with.
The innovative approach by the two researchers involves converting a clinical trial document into a bitcoin to take advantage its Blockchain infrastructure.
Under their system the original clinical protocol is given a unique digital signature, determined by the document’s text using an online tool called the SHA256 Calculator. This signature is converted into a public bitcoin key using Strongcoin, another online tool, which is then “spent”. This transaction is timestamped and recorded as a Blockchain, multiple copies of which are stored in a computer network.
Anyone who wants to check whether a clinical protocol has been altered can generate a new bitcoin key using the text of the document that they have access to; if this key is different to the one in the Blockchain then this confirms that alterations to the text have been made. This approach has the potential to prevent ineffective or even unsafe medications being distributed to the public.
Blockchain registration of trials could have prevented the infamous Study 329, which erroneously reported that an antidepressant was effective in adolescents. Analysis of the eight original health measures showed the drug was ineffective. However the researchers then analysed a further 19 outcomes and found four to show a positive effect, but only reported these four in the final publication giving a false impression of the drug’s value.
This Blockchain approach is increasingly used in fields such as software development, engineering and genetics. Drs Irving and Holden have broken new ground by successfully applying it to a clinical trial.
Amy Price of Oxford University, who reviewed the article, said:
“Blockchain improves and expands the role for trial registries or publishing protocols. The approach could be used for Randomized Controlled Trials and a whole range of observational and experimental studies where registries are needed but do not currently exist.”
Rebecca Lawrence, Managing Director of the F1000 Group, said:
“Public trust in the medical research community has been severely damaged by evidence of malpractice, including outcome switching, data dredging and selective publication.
“The Blockchain method proposed in this new paper offers a timely and promising solution to these problems. We are pleased to be able to bring it to public attention, quickly and transparently, via F1000Research, where it will no doubt stimulate much-needed debate on this issue.”
F1000Research is an open science publishing platform for life scientists that offers immediate publication and transparent peer review, avoiding editorial bias and ensuring the inclusion of all source data. This process helps scientists to avoid the traditional, anonymous, pre-publication peer-review process that can cause long delays before new results become visible.
All articles must pass an initial in-house quality check prior to publication on F1000Research. Following open, invited peer review where the referee’s name and affiliation and the referee reports are published alongside the article, authors can make revisions that are then published as new article versions.
Since its launch in January 2013, F1000Research has published more than 1000 articles across the life sciences, written by 4,000 authors. For more details on F1000Research go tohttp://www.
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017