Working in close collaboration with Innotribe, over one hundred judges from across the financial, technology, and investment communities evaluated 89 applications received for the second edition of the Startup Challenge in in Mauritius on May 18. The judges assessed the startups’ ability to provide an important innovation in the future of the financial industry and ultimately narrowed the selection process to this year’s 12 semi-finalists.
Four of them are African Blockchain related projects.
The winners will then have the chance to also go to Sibos, SWIFT’s annual global financial services conference in Geneva in late September.
- AMoney from Cameroon enables cross border payments and unifying mobile wallets using Blockchain technology. AMoney uses multi-rail technology combining four rails: the AMoney protocol, Blockchain technology, The Ripple protocol and the Stellar protocol to enable large volume of low-value cross border payments and unify mobile wallets in Africa.
- BitPesa is Africa’s fastest and most affordable bitcoin trading platform out of Kenya. Users around the world can send bitcoins to BitPesa, which exchanges them to Kenyan shillings and sends them along to recipient’s mobile phone account. BitPesa charges a 3% remittance fee for the service regardless of how much money is transferred. BitPesa’s main competitor is M-Pesa – a mobile-based money network that has worked to lower transaction fees for Africans using mobile technology, but whose fees still reach a staggering 30% for registered users and up to 66% for unregistered users.
- The Sun Exchange is a peer-to-peer lending platform from South Africa for investors to fund solar energy projects across the globe. The Sun Exchange is a crowd-investing platform. It connects people wanting to finance solar power to those that need solar power to lower electricity bills or access electricity for the first time. Solar panels costs money and in many places in the world there is limited access to financial services. Through The Sun Exchange you can either lend money too or raise money for a solar project, regardless of geographies. Transferring fiat currency between countries is often expensive and time consuming, so they accept bitcoin so that you can invest in a solar project wherever you are in the world quickly, easily and securely.
- Geopay from Johannesburg allows for domestic and foreign remittance platform using the Blockchain. Geopay is a peer to peer digital money transfer solution that allows low to high end consumers to instantly withdraw and deposit cash to anyone in the world. The client makes a deposit which by them bitcoins which are transferred to a geoteller the Geoteller is able to convert bitcoin in currency and cross border client can make withdrawal. The client and geoteller never have to see and interact with bitcoins as it is on the back end.
Launched in 2011, Innotribe Startup Challenge’s mission was to bring visibility to activities at the edges of the Swift ecosystem, highlighting the importance of these new emerging companies called startups and their revolutionary way to think and work. Over the years, the Startup Challenge has become one of the leading global startup competitions, connecting the financial services industry with more than 650 FinTech startups around the world and reaching over 4,000 audience members through global showcases and networking events.
In 2016, the Startup Challenge has evolved and will support emerging FinTech ecosystems, moving from a global competition to a local programme supporting innovation where demographic trends, economic growth and regional integration projects are creating fertile ground for new technologies to emerge.
What are the benefits for Fintech startups?
- Receive coaching and mentoring from renowned experts from the global Fintech scene
- get the opportunity to meet financial industry executives and potential investors
- Be one of the 12 startups to go to Mauritius or Mexico and they will cover your travel and expenses up to 2,000 USD
- Get a chance to attend Sibos, the world’s premier financial services event taking place in Geneva in September 2016, and receive a $10,000 USD cash prize
For the second consecutive year, Innotribe is partnering with SWIFT’s African Regional Conference (ARC) to tap into the high potential of African startups. The event will take place in Mauritius, from 17-19 May 2016.
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017
- World’s First Cryptocurrency Fund Listed on Exchange - December 25, 2016
- Dubai Future Accelerators Program Invests US$33m In Pilot Projects Including Blockchain - December 23, 2016
- IC3 Publishes Research on Blockchain Utilization of Intel Software Guard Extensions Offering Enhanced Protection - December 23, 2016