Right in the midst of two hacker fiascos putting The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) firmly in the ‘more holes than a golf course’ camp, a research paper commissioned by their research arm was published touting that Blockchain was mythical when it came to getting rid of third parties in trades.
Bad timing or what? This of course fell right in the middle of an investigation to solve the $81 million heist from the central bank of Bangladesh in February, where attackers were able to ‘compel’ the Federal Reserve Bank of New York to move money to accounts in the Philippines where it disappeared and a second attack which involved a commercial bank where SWIFT is holding out how much was nicked. The report is probably the most critical paper published on Blockchain – but they have hunted down every Blockchain critic on the planet and obvious framed the questions to cast doubt on Blockchain as a solution.
That’s not really surprising as a decentralised Blockchain solution kind of rids the need for their ‘middleman’ services as a ‘trust agent’ for financial transactions.
From the report:
The idea is that two or more parties would be able to use blockchain technology to carry out a trade and this could all be done without the need for any other interference. But the SWIFT Institute said that a central third party role would still exist, albeit more narrowly, as a mean of confirming identity and existence of an asset, as well as dispute resolution and enforcing legal obligations.
“The viability of our business is under severe threat from this new technology. Please ignore this technology and join us us in hoping it will just go away.”
“It is time to adopt some kind of distributed ledger.”
The SWIFT payment system failed again this week. The tone of Swift’s announcement intimated the end of life on the planet earth as we know it. Swift’s description of the system’s attackers was apocalyptic, and did nothing to minimize the skills of the attackers, adding that the funds seized might be, of course, reinvested to give the hackers a kind of turboboost of evil. My sources tell me the culprit is Brainiac from the planet Zod.
Of course there is nothing funny about this situation, even if Swift’s “chicken little” corporate reaction was pretty funny. The real lesson of this event is deadly earnest and, I believe, fully anticipated by most specialists in the security of our financial system. This event, though, was the Fat Lady’s Song. The banks, exchanges, clearers like Swift, DDTC, and so on, are going to have to share something with the public that insiders already know.
The party is over for the old, permissioned, firewall based, electronic fortress, concept of trust-in-payments systems. And the alternative is very far from obvious.
NewsBTC also got into the action.
“…this is another prime example of why the legacy system – and its archaic underpinning technology – need to be replaced with a more modern solution sooner rather than later. Using firewalls used to be an excellent way to protect financial systems, but hackers have become a lot smarter throughout the years. This leaves security experts well behind the curve of technological innovation, which hackers will gladly take advantage of.”
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017