Right in the midst of two hacker fiascos putting The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) firmly in the ‘more holes than a golf course’ camp, a research paper commissioned by their research arm was published touting that Blockchain was mythical when it came to getting rid of third parties in trades.
Bad timing or what? This of course fell right in the middle of an investigation to solve the $81 million heist from the central bank of Bangladesh in February, where attackers were able to ‘compel’ the Federal Reserve Bank of New York to move money to accounts in the Philippines where it disappeared and a second attack which involved a commercial bank where SWIFT is holding out how much was nicked. The report is probably the most critical paper published on Blockchain – but they have hunted down every Blockchain critic on the planet and obvious framed the questions to cast doubt on Blockchain as a solution.
That’s not really surprising as a decentralised Blockchain solution kind of rids the need for their ‘middleman’ services as a ‘trust agent’ for financial transactions.
From the report:
The idea is that two or more parties would be able to use blockchain technology to carry out a trade and this could all be done without the need for any other interference. But the SWIFT Institute said that a central third party role would still exist, albeit more narrowly, as a mean of confirming identity and existence of an asset, as well as dispute resolution and enforcing legal obligations.
“The viability of our business is under severe threat from this new technology. Please ignore this technology and join us us in hoping it will just go away.”
“It is time to adopt some kind of distributed ledger.”
The SWIFT payment system failed again this week. The tone of Swift’s announcement intimated the end of life on the planet earth as we know it. Swift’s description of the system’s attackers was apocalyptic, and did nothing to minimize the skills of the attackers, adding that the funds seized might be, of course, reinvested to give the hackers a kind of turboboost of evil. My sources tell me the culprit is Brainiac from the planet Zod.
Of course there is nothing funny about this situation, even if Swift’s “chicken little” corporate reaction was pretty funny. The real lesson of this event is deadly earnest and, I believe, fully anticipated by most specialists in the security of our financial system. This event, though, was the Fat Lady’s Song. The banks, exchanges, clearers like Swift, DDTC, and so on, are going to have to share something with the public that insiders already know.
The party is over for the old, permissioned, firewall based, electronic fortress, concept of trust-in-payments systems. And the alternative is very far from obvious.
NewsBTC also got into the action.
“…this is another prime example of why the legacy system – and its archaic underpinning technology – need to be replaced with a more modern solution sooner rather than later. Using firewalls used to be an excellent way to protect financial systems, but hackers have become a lot smarter throughout the years. This leaves security experts well behind the curve of technological innovation, which hackers will gladly take advantage of.”
- NEM.io Foundation to Create a XEM Exchange - July 27, 2017
- Zeppelin Solutions Introduces ZeppelinOS: An Operating System for Smart Contract Applications - July 27, 2017
- Hash Rush, the First Hash-Powered Online Game to Launch Token Sale - July 26, 2017
- The US SEC Issues Investigative Report on ICOs and Token Sales – Calling Some Securities - July 26, 2017
- ACT, a Decentralized Autonomous Organization for Citizen Action, is using the Ether Cryptocurrency to support a Community Fighting Opencast Coal Mining in Wales - July 25, 2017
- Giant Pepe and Vitalik Buterin Busts Capture Attention as Uncensorable Art in Decentraland Alpha - July 25, 2017
- Skycoin Distribution Event moved to August 8th, 2017 - July 25, 2017
- Propy, World’s First Global Property Store with Decentralized Title Registry Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- DAO.Casino and True Flip Announce Strategic Partnership - July 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Adjoint Announces First Close of One Million Dollar Pre-Seed Round - July 24, 2017
- Ambrosus, the Trusted Food Ecosystem, Launches To Assure Food Quality from Farm to Fork - July 24, 2017
- Pillar Token Sale Raises $21 million for Personal Data Locker - July 24, 2017
- Waves Launches Ether Gateway - July 24, 2017
- Dash Passes Apple’s Rigorous Review Process And Becomes An Approved Digital Currency - July 24, 2017
- Decentraland Announces Anticipated Token Sale for Massive Virtual Reality Economy - July 24, 2017
- First Block Capital Launches Canada’s First Bitcoin Trust Through FrontFundr - July 24, 2017
- Smart Volume Analysis Crypto Trading Fund Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- investFeed Kicks Off ‘Unconventional,’ Responsible, Hard Cap Token Generation Event - July 24, 2017
- Dutch Blockchain Startup AdCoin Promises Alternative for the Online Advertising Market - July 24, 2017
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017