The Dubai Future Foundation has announced at the quarterly meeting of its Global Blockchain Council their new members as well as the adoption of seven new innovation-based pilot projects.
The council now consists of 46 members, including Dubai Trade, Dubai Gold and Commodities Exchange, Emirates, Moe Levin and Dubai Department of Economic Development.
“The global Blockchain council comes under the strategic direction of UAE leadership in position UAE as a global centre for shaping the future within the strategic sectors. The council also represents one of the major initiatives of Dubai Future Agenda, approved by His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, last April,” said Mohammed bin Abdullah Al Gergawi, Cabinet Member, UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs and Future and Vice-Chairman and Manging Director of the Dubai Future Foundation.
“It’s important to continuously source opportunities that the technology of the future provides to enhance the peoples quality of life and create economic impact worth billions of dollars,” he added.
“The right application of the Blockchain technology, which is expected to have a market value of $290 billion by 2019, will contribute massively in elevating the level of the smart services provided to citizens from cost, time and efficiency perspectives. The council, which is only four months old, helped positioning the UAE as a global player in developing and applying Blockchain technology,” added Al Gergawi.
“With the new companies coming on board, the stage is set for further expansion of the council’s business. The new members will give a boost to the efforts to promote Blockchain as a future technology and its effective use in the UAE,” said Saif Al Aleeli, CEO of the Dubai Future Foundation.
“Proactive projects are crucial to implement such a globally advanced technology. The council aims to contribute to economic growth through the adoption of effective technological solutions to deal with digital transactions,” added Al Aleeli.
“FlexiDesk”, the first pilot project adopted during the meeting, comes in cooperation between BitOasis and the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre to find practical applications for Blockchain technology. The project is aimed at facilitating the DMCC’s transactions in line with Dubai Plan 2021 by accelerating services and achieving high efficiency at lower costs.
“Trade Flow”, the second project by the DMCC, will provide digital financial transaction services using Blockchain technology. The project will also help significantly reduce costs, increase operations security, unify transactions procedures and provide super-fast services round the clock.
“Dubai Points”, the third pilot project, aims to incentivise tourism in Dubai by awarding points to tourists when they visit a tourist destination, encouraging them to return and utilise their points. The project also aims to strengthen the emirate’s image as a global tourist destination and enhance its tourism base to make it more integrated with environment and tourist attractions. It is a partnership between du, Jumeirah, Cream, Privity, DigitUs, International Culinary Centre for Culinary Arts Dubai, SquareCircle Tech, Travelex, Flyin and Pricewaterhousecoopers.
The Dubai International Financial Centre adopted “Digital Wills” to register wills using Blockchain links. This project will enable clients to transfer their properties to beneficiaries using a fast and secure process while complying with local regulations.
“Operation Kimberley” will modernise the verification process of diamond sources and their trade mechanisms. The Blockchain-based project will be capable of issuing global certificates related to the diamond industry by coordinating the activities of its 81 member countries.
‘Health Records’ is a pilot project by du aimed at unifying new digitised health records in hospitals and clinics by using Blockchain technology. The project will provide a modernised record system that is fast and efficient and capable of saving many lives.
The Council unveiled its seven new project during the Keynote Conference which was organised in Dubai to provide creative new ideas related to Blockchain technology and enable companies to utilise such technology to make digital transactions safer and faster.
The meeting discussed ways to develop legislation for Blockchain projects and provide applications to run such projects. It also stressed the importance of boosting efforts to design new projects by constantly updating the Council’s work.
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – No Internet, No Mobile Phone, No Computer. No Problem. - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Banking Consortium R3 Gets Into Semantic Tornado Over Blockchain – Bitcoiners Jeer from Sidelines - February 25, 2017
- IOHK and University of Edinburgh Establish Blockchain Technology Laboratory - February 24, 2017
- Liberland to Launch Online Startup Contest to Kick Off Smart Nation - February 23, 2017
- Blockchain Intelligence Group Launches QLUE Version Codename Deep Cove - February 23, 2017
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017