The Dubai Future Foundation has announced at the quarterly meeting of its Global Blockchain Council their new members as well as the adoption of seven new innovation-based pilot projects.
The council now consists of 46 members, including Dubai Trade, Dubai Gold and Commodities Exchange, Emirates, Moe Levin and Dubai Department of Economic Development.
“The global Blockchain council comes under the strategic direction of UAE leadership in position UAE as a global centre for shaping the future within the strategic sectors. The council also represents one of the major initiatives of Dubai Future Agenda, approved by His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, last April,” said Mohammed bin Abdullah Al Gergawi, Cabinet Member, UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs and Future and Vice-Chairman and Manging Director of the Dubai Future Foundation.
“It’s important to continuously source opportunities that the technology of the future provides to enhance the peoples quality of life and create economic impact worth billions of dollars,” he added.
“The right application of the Blockchain technology, which is expected to have a market value of $290 billion by 2019, will contribute massively in elevating the level of the smart services provided to citizens from cost, time and efficiency perspectives. The council, which is only four months old, helped positioning the UAE as a global player in developing and applying Blockchain technology,” added Al Gergawi.
“With the new companies coming on board, the stage is set for further expansion of the council’s business. The new members will give a boost to the efforts to promote Blockchain as a future technology and its effective use in the UAE,” said Saif Al Aleeli, CEO of the Dubai Future Foundation.
“Proactive projects are crucial to implement such a globally advanced technology. The council aims to contribute to economic growth through the adoption of effective technological solutions to deal with digital transactions,” added Al Aleeli.
“FlexiDesk”, the first pilot project adopted during the meeting, comes in cooperation between BitOasis and the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre to find practical applications for Blockchain technology. The project is aimed at facilitating the DMCC’s transactions in line with Dubai Plan 2021 by accelerating services and achieving high efficiency at lower costs.
“Trade Flow”, the second project by the DMCC, will provide digital financial transaction services using Blockchain technology. The project will also help significantly reduce costs, increase operations security, unify transactions procedures and provide super-fast services round the clock.
“Dubai Points”, the third pilot project, aims to incentivise tourism in Dubai by awarding points to tourists when they visit a tourist destination, encouraging them to return and utilise their points. The project also aims to strengthen the emirate’s image as a global tourist destination and enhance its tourism base to make it more integrated with environment and tourist attractions. It is a partnership between du, Jumeirah, Cream, Privity, DigitUs, International Culinary Centre for Culinary Arts Dubai, SquareCircle Tech, Travelex, Flyin and Pricewaterhousecoopers.
The Dubai International Financial Centre adopted “Digital Wills” to register wills using Blockchain links. This project will enable clients to transfer their properties to beneficiaries using a fast and secure process while complying with local regulations.
“Operation Kimberley” will modernise the verification process of diamond sources and their trade mechanisms. The Blockchain-based project will be capable of issuing global certificates related to the diamond industry by coordinating the activities of its 81 member countries.
‘Health Records’ is a pilot project by du aimed at unifying new digitised health records in hospitals and clinics by using Blockchain technology. The project will provide a modernised record system that is fast and efficient and capable of saving many lives.
The Council unveiled its seven new project during the Keynote Conference which was organised in Dubai to provide creative new ideas related to Blockchain technology and enable companies to utilise such technology to make digital transactions safer and faster.
The meeting discussed ways to develop legislation for Blockchain projects and provide applications to run such projects. It also stressed the importance of boosting efforts to design new projects by constantly updating the Council’s work.
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017