IBM has opened The Watson Centre at Marina Bay in Singapore – an incubator designed to bring together organisations of all sizes, business partners and IBM experts to co-create business solutions that leverage IBM’s cognitive, Blockchain and design capabilities.
IBM’s new Asia Pacific headquarters is based in the same location, in the heart of Singapore’s financial district.
IBM Garage Singapore
With the advent of Blockchain, and the increasing demand from clients across Asia to explore the possibilities of this transformative technology, IBM will help accelerate the design, development and commercialization of Singapore Blockchain applications through the IBM Garage and the IBM Global Entrepreneur program.
At the IBM Garage, experts collaborate with clients, developers and entrepreneurs to test-drive tools, processes, and procedures to make Blockchain real. The garage creates a bridge between the scale of enterprise and culture of startups and supports the development of an Open Standards based Blockchain ecosystem and creates new work opportunities in Singapore.
IBM Global Entrepreneur Program helps startups and entrepreneurs who are building new generation of distributed ledger applications on the Blockchain harness the power of IBM Cloud, as well as deeply connect and embed them into IBM’s vast global network of enterprise clients, consultants, Innovation Centres and more to rapidly build, scale quickly and accelerate growth.
“Watson and Blockchain are two technologies that will rapidly change the way we live and work, and our clients in Asia Pacific are eager to lead the way in envisioning and creating that future,” said Randy Walker, Chairman and CEO, IBM Asia Pacific. “Here they can leverage the latest in customer experience design, use cognitive technology to draw insight from vast quantities of data, and draw on IBM’s huge investments in research and development. In partnership with our clients we are nurturing local talent and building an ecosystem to accelerate the development of cognitive solutions and Blockchain platforms.”
Watson Centre at Marina Bay will act as a centre of expertise for almost 5,000 IBM cognitive solutions professionals in the Asia Pacific region alone, including researchers, IBM Watson specialists, data scientists, software engineers, agile developers and analytics experts. It will also offer education, hackathons, and customised workshops for a broader ecosystem of innovators including software companies, startups, developers and systems integrators.
The Centre will play host to Asia Pacific clients looking to lead in a variety of markets and industries, using Watson technologies that reason, improve through learning, and discover insights hidden in large amounts of complex data. IBM has been working to meet growing demand for cognitive computing in Asia Pacific through a variety of avenues, including partnerships with Bumrungrad International Hospital in Thailand and SK Holdings C&C in Korea, as well as establishing developer ecosystems in the region.
“We are pleased with IBM’s decision to establish their APAC HQ and the new Watson Centre, together with a number of innovation initiatives, in Singapore to develop impactful digital solutions for their clients,” said Yeoh Keat Chuan, Managing Director, Singapore Economic Development Board. “This is a testament to Singapore’s growing start-up ecosystem, presence of strong industry verticals and the availability of digital talent with deep capabilities.”
DBS Bank, a leading financial services group in Asia, will work with Watson Centre at Marina Bay to develop new use cases based on disruptive technologies, and to assist in its strategy to support FinTech startups in the region.
Mr Piyush Gupta, CEO of DBS said,
“At DBS, we seek to leverage digital technology to make banking simple and effortless for our customers. As we shape the future of banking, it is important to work with a thriving innovation ecosystem to tap into disruptive technology and ideas. Our partnership with IBM will help us to continue driving innovation within DBS, as well as assist in the acceleration and development of locally-generated Fintech innovations.
Parkway Pantai, one of Asia’s largest integrated private healthcare groups, is working with IBM to enhance the quality of patient care and improve patient outcomes in its intensive care units at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Singapore. In line with Parkway Pantai’s effort to leverage new technologies to improve patient care and outcomes, the use of Watson technologies is helping to provide proactive patient monitoring and early intervention through real-time data analysis and notifications to nurses in anticipation of critical and life-threatening events.
Dr Kelvin Loh, Chief Executive Officer of Singapore Operations Division, Parkway Pantai said:
“Systems like cognitive computing can continuously read, monitor and quickly make sense of vast amounts of data. With decision support tools like Watson, our clinicians and nurses can get data in the right context, faster, and personalized to the patient’s needs. This translates to greater efficiency and better outcomes for our patients.”
A key element of advancing cognitive technologies around the globe is making Watson APIs and services available to enterprises and developers via the Watson Platform. ZUMATA Technologies, a supplier of consolidated hotel inventory services to online travel companies around the world, is leveraging IBM Watson to enable a more personalized experience for hotel recommendations. ZUMATA’s platform continuously learns from every customer interaction, delivering more personalized experiences and thereby improving booking conversions.
Robert Meza, Director of ZUMATA said,
“For many people, planning a trip can be overwhelming and time consuming. There is so much information to digest and choosing where to go, where to stay and comparing price with value can be daunting. During the process of booking travel and accommodation, customers are looking for both inspiration and convenience. We aim to make travel personal again and match consumers with their perfect trip more efficiently.”
IBM Studios – Singapore
The Watson Centre at Marina Bay will also host IBM Studios – Singapore, a new centre that will blend experience design and digital expertise to support customer innovation. With this Studio, IBM will help Asia Pacific clients analyse business challenges and develop solutions grounded in more individualised digital experiences through a combination of IBM’s research technology, cognitive capabilities and experience design.
Stefan Hirsch, ASEAN Lead for IBM iX said,
“Our designers work with clients through the customer experience from strategy, creative and design to scalable digital, commerce, mobile and wearable platforms. We sit side-by-side with our clients to invent and co-create personalised, innovative solutions using IBM’s leadership in cognitive, research and design to take digital experiences to the next level for clients. “
IBM Watson: Pioneering a New Era of Computing
Watson represents a new era in computing called cognitive computing, where systems understand the world the way humans do: through senses, learning, and experience. Watson continuously learns from previous interactions, gaining in value and knowledge over time. With the help of Watson, organizations are harnessing the power of cognitive computing to transform industries, help professionals do their jobs better, and solve important challenges.
To advance Watson, IBM has three dedicated business units: Watson, established for the development of cloud-delivered cognitive computing technologies that represent the commercialization of “artificial intelligence” or “AI” across a variety of industries; Watson Health, dedicated to improving the ability of doctors, researchers and insurers and other related health organizations to surface new insights from data to deliver personalized healthcare; and Watson IoT, focused on making sense of data embedded in more than 9 billion connected devices operating in the world today, which generate 2.5 quintillion bytes of new data daily.
- NEM.io Foundation to Create a XEM Exchange - July 27, 2017
- Zeppelin Solutions Introduces ZeppelinOS: An Operating System for Smart Contract Applications - July 27, 2017
- Hash Rush, the First Hash-Powered Online Game to Launch Token Sale - July 26, 2017
- The US SEC Issues Investigative Report on ICOs and Token Sales – Calling Some Securities - July 26, 2017
- ACT, a Decentralized Autonomous Organization for Citizen Action, is using the Ether Cryptocurrency to support a Community Fighting Opencast Coal Mining in Wales - July 25, 2017
- Giant Pepe and Vitalik Buterin Busts Capture Attention as Uncensorable Art in Decentraland Alpha - July 25, 2017
- Skycoin Distribution Event moved to August 8th, 2017 - July 25, 2017
- Propy, World’s First Global Property Store with Decentralized Title Registry Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- DAO.Casino and True Flip Announce Strategic Partnership - July 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Adjoint Announces First Close of One Million Dollar Pre-Seed Round - July 24, 2017
- Ambrosus, the Trusted Food Ecosystem, Launches To Assure Food Quality from Farm to Fork - July 24, 2017
- Pillar Token Sale Raises $21 million for Personal Data Locker - July 24, 2017
- Waves Launches Ether Gateway - July 24, 2017
- Dash Passes Apple’s Rigorous Review Process And Becomes An Approved Digital Currency - July 24, 2017
- Decentraland Announces Anticipated Token Sale for Massive Virtual Reality Economy - July 24, 2017
- First Block Capital Launches Canada’s First Bitcoin Trust Through FrontFundr - July 24, 2017
- Smart Volume Analysis Crypto Trading Fund Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- investFeed Kicks Off ‘Unconventional,’ Responsible, Hard Cap Token Generation Event - July 24, 2017
- Dutch Blockchain Startup AdCoin Promises Alternative for the Online Advertising Market - July 24, 2017
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017