In a co-written report between JP Morgan and consulting firm Oliver Wyman titled Unlocking Economic Advantage with Blockchain: A guide for asset managers, JP Morgan argues that Blockchain will bring about a “radical shift” to the asset management sector.
“There is a growing realization that Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) — popularly known as Blockchain — will bring a radical shift in the way we think about financial assets and the way the financial industry will operate in the future. The Blockchain journey is likely to be long and the outcome is uncertain, but a consensus is forming that it is the real deal. Disregarding it is a risk.
“…we argue that asset managers need to get off the sidelines and take the initiative to understand and embrace Blockchain.”
1. Blockchain is the real deal
• Blockchain-related interest and investment have reached critical mass, and the technology has shown itself to be capable of driving major change.
• By enforcing convergence on common data standards and eliminating the need for a central authority to hold a “golden record,” we can reduce reconciliation and facilitate seamless transfer of digital assets.
• Rather than presenting a “Blockchain 101,” we instead make the impacts of a transition to Blockchain infrastructure approachable and tangible, clearing up common myths and demonstrating how this technology has the potential to reshape financial markets and ultimately the client experience.
Our view is that Blockchain’s impact may eventually reshape market structure, product capabilities and the client experience, ultimately having a lasting influence on the global economic system
2. The opportunity for asset managers
• Blockchain can help asset managers tackle many of the challenges they face today: managing data; providing solutions, not just products; and providing continuing service value to clients in a changing competitive landscape.
• Asset managers can achieve material cost benefits across front-, middle- and back-office activities through a reduction in data manipulation, the decommissioning of legacy infrastructure and lower frictional costs of investment.
• Revenue opportunities will grow out of the improved data sources, greater liquidity and lower frictional costs fostered by Blockchain. Asset managers will be able to serve clients in new ways, for example, with real-time reporting or alternate trading strategies.
• Ultimately, end investors may be the greatest beneficiaries, as asset managers and other providers compete by offering improved propositions and passing on savings.
3. Time to get off the sidelines
• Many asset managers have taken a wait-and-see approach, under the assumption that any eventual cost savings or opportunities will flow downstream. We believe this is a mistake.
• Early engagement is essential for asset managers to drive prioritization of the right issues and use cases; competitive advantage can be gained from working with the right partners early on to develop real world solutions.
• Partners and regulators require the input of asset managers to ensure suitable governance and data management standards, as well as help in navigating design implications.
4. The CxO playbook
• Blockchain is quickly becoming a C-suite issue for asset managers, and the CEO, CTO and COO all have roles to play.
• The CEO needs to outline the vision for how the organization engages with and adopts Blockchain.
• The CTO needs to lead understanding and development of Blockchain capabilities as part of the broader FinTech agenda.
• The COO needs to understand Blockchain applications and how to extract their benefits, while ensuring Blockchain makes up part of a coherent target operating model.
• For each, we lay out a series of actions to help them achieve these goals.
Investment in Blockchain start-ups has released US$300 million to date, said the report – with US$125 invested throughout 2015 and that figure “already surpassed” in the first half of 2016.
Blockchain will not be limited to the back office of the asset management industry and other behind-the-scenes processes, according to the report.
“Our view is that Blockchain’s impact may eventually reshape market structure, product capabilities and the client experience, ultimately having a lasting influence on the global economic system,” it said.
The development of Blockchain is anticipated to come in four ‘waves’ over the next few decades.
During the first wave, between 2016 and 2019, simple applications focused on more robust and consistent data sharing will continue to emerge.
The second wave (2017-25) will see distributed ledger technology and smart contracts used in combination to store and share core transaction data.
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017