The latest innovation in smart metering devices along with the reduction in prices of renewable energy and storage systems are leading towards the emergence of a decentralized energy marketplace where traditional energy consumers become energy producers, selling excess energy back to the grid or other energy consumers within their vicinity, engaging in peer-to-peer sale/purchase agreements.
And Blockchain technology can provide the needed secure, reliable and speedy way for communication between millions of new energy traders which can lead to a paradigm shift where a world where only large utilities reaping profits from large energy plants, new entrants into energy marketplace will be able redistribute revenue streams.
Selling excess power back to grid through net metering
Energy producers which are not utility companies, mostly solar rooftop setups, sell excess energy back to the grid which is subjected to net metering. This mechanism credits power consumers for the amount of energy they deliver back to the grid. Mostly it helps in lowering electricity bills for the consumers instead of providing direct revenues. Rates provided are equal to retail electricity rates, but due to growing utility pressures for decreasing credit rates, there are chances of reduced benefits from the net metering mechanism.
Blockchain for decentralized energy marketplace
Due to predicted reduction in credits from excess energy, there will be an increasing number of instances where electricity will be produced and sold locally within a community. Blockchain, with its distributed ledger mechanism combined with modern communication technologies, can provide a highly decentralized energy marketplace. Though there will be many regulatory hurdles in this regard, but future years can see them fading or reducing, due to mass local benefits. TransActive Grid, a Brooklyn NY-based startup, has attempted at setting up such blockchain based energy network. Similarly, Grid Singularity is utilizing ‘pay-as-you-go’ mechanism in developing countries using blockchain. John Lilac from ConsenSys gives a quick explanation of how the smart grid system works in the video below.
lockchain promoting decentralized grid architecture
The greatest incentive for decentralized grid topology will be the distributed transaction mechanism provided by blockchain. Localized energy market can only develop once consumers and vendors have a secure and reliable system of maintaining records of payments. Blockchain with its highly reliable and fraud-free system is best suited for the decentralized approach. This will lead to the increase in development of decentralized micro-grids and technologies enabling microgrids. Roof-top solar, storage equipment, smart metering devices, and even electric vehicles will be the greatest beneficiaries of blockchain implementation.
Policy impacts of Blockchain may render net metering redundant
Although net metering has led to enormous growth for solar roof-top setups as it provides good incentives when it comes to the debate between going solar vs not going solar. But in future, it is expected that utilities will offer much lower rates for the energy credits. With blockchain transactional scheme, small distributed producers will have an alternative to selling their excess power to consumers other than utilities. This will result in more adoption of efficient renewable technology leading to better policies for the general public benefit.
Blockchain and IoT (Internet of Things)
In a futuristic scenario, all electricity consumers and producers within a community will be connected in a mesh topology through wireless or wired networks. IoT-based sensors, placed at every node, will relay information regarding energy produced and consumed along the network. This will allow real-time visualization of energy demand/supply, allowing energy peers to coordinate and close energy purchase agreements. All happening according to their mutual price negotiations, through secure blockchain ledger. Such ‘smartgrids’ will offer the best situation for using public blockchain where end node users are completely unknown to each other.
Estimates of decentralized energy marketplace by the year 2030
According to a report by The Goldman Sachs, an estimated opportunity between $2.5 billion to $6.9 billion is available for blockchain industry in distributed energy sales. Solar rooftop penetration would rise from 1% to 5%. Average retail electricity price would rise from $0.10 to $0.14 per kWh. Distributed energy generators don’t require transmission lines investment, avoided cost in the case is equal to the cost of generation, which is estimated to be around one-third of the retail cost.
According to the report, if avoided cost of $0.05 is chosen by distributed generators to sell their excess electricity, there would be a $2.5 billion opportunity for the blockchain industry. This is worst case scenario, considered due to increase in pressure from utilities on decreasing net metering credit rates.
If distributed producers are compensated less by utilities, they may start consuming more power themselves or think of ways to sell it to other consumers. Assuming, if other consumers had an opportunity to buy electricity from distributed producers at $0.13, which is 10% discounted compared with the retail price, then there will be a big opportunity for distributed generation. Distributed producers would be compensated at much better rates and opportunity is quantified at $6.9 billion. If producers sell it at $0.10, a price in between avoided cost and a 10% discount to the grid price, then the opportunity available will be $5.1 billion.
Benefits of blockchain adoption for decentralized smart grids
Blockchain is the technology which can unleash the true potential of a decentralized model by providing secure, reliable, outage free and self-executing community management of energy networks. It will lead to lower lines losses, better load management, lesser outage hours and overall higher efficiency. Ability to conduct secure energy transactions in a peer-to-peer mode will increase the proportion of distributed generation within global energy mix. It will also provide great incentives for advancements in the field of renewable and Smart grid appliances. Overall, energy networks will become more robust with the inclusion of IoT and blockchain platforms, as every node and asset in the smart grid will be helping to keep the grid stable.
See original article from Jorge Jimenez titled Blockchain For Smart Grids Can Create A Decentralized Energy Marketplace.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017