The latest innovation in smart metering devices along with the reduction in prices of renewable energy and storage systems are leading towards the emergence of a decentralized energy marketplace where traditional energy consumers become energy producers, selling excess energy back to the grid or other energy consumers within their vicinity, engaging in peer-to-peer sale/purchase agreements.
And Blockchain technology can provide the needed secure, reliable and speedy way for communication between millions of new energy traders which can lead to a paradigm shift where a world where only large utilities reaping profits from large energy plants, new entrants into energy marketplace will be able redistribute revenue streams.
Selling excess power back to grid through net metering
Energy producers which are not utility companies, mostly solar rooftop setups, sell excess energy back to the grid which is subjected to net metering. This mechanism credits power consumers for the amount of energy they deliver back to the grid. Mostly it helps in lowering electricity bills for the consumers instead of providing direct revenues. Rates provided are equal to retail electricity rates, but due to growing utility pressures for decreasing credit rates, there are chances of reduced benefits from the net metering mechanism.
Blockchain for decentralized energy marketplace
Due to predicted reduction in credits from excess energy, there will be an increasing number of instances where electricity will be produced and sold locally within a community. Blockchain, with its distributed ledger mechanism combined with modern communication technologies, can provide a highly decentralized energy marketplace. Though there will be many regulatory hurdles in this regard, but future years can see them fading or reducing, due to mass local benefits. TransActive Grid, a Brooklyn NY-based startup, has attempted at setting up such blockchain based energy network. Similarly, Grid Singularity is utilizing ‘pay-as-you-go’ mechanism in developing countries using blockchain. John Lilac from ConsenSys gives a quick explanation of how the smart grid system works in the video below.
lockchain promoting decentralized grid architecture
The greatest incentive for decentralized grid topology will be the distributed transaction mechanism provided by blockchain. Localized energy market can only develop once consumers and vendors have a secure and reliable system of maintaining records of payments. Blockchain with its highly reliable and fraud-free system is best suited for the decentralized approach. This will lead to the increase in development of decentralized micro-grids and technologies enabling microgrids. Roof-top solar, storage equipment, smart metering devices, and even electric vehicles will be the greatest beneficiaries of blockchain implementation.
Policy impacts of Blockchain may render net metering redundant
Although net metering has led to enormous growth for solar roof-top setups as it provides good incentives when it comes to the debate between going solar vs not going solar. But in future, it is expected that utilities will offer much lower rates for the energy credits. With blockchain transactional scheme, small distributed producers will have an alternative to selling their excess power to consumers other than utilities. This will result in more adoption of efficient renewable technology leading to better policies for the general public benefit.
Blockchain and IoT (Internet of Things)
In a futuristic scenario, all electricity consumers and producers within a community will be connected in a mesh topology through wireless or wired networks. IoT-based sensors, placed at every node, will relay information regarding energy produced and consumed along the network. This will allow real-time visualization of energy demand/supply, allowing energy peers to coordinate and close energy purchase agreements. All happening according to their mutual price negotiations, through secure blockchain ledger. Such ‘smartgrids’ will offer the best situation for using public blockchain where end node users are completely unknown to each other.
Estimates of decentralized energy marketplace by the year 2030
According to a report by The Goldman Sachs, an estimated opportunity between $2.5 billion to $6.9 billion is available for blockchain industry in distributed energy sales. Solar rooftop penetration would rise from 1% to 5%. Average retail electricity price would rise from $0.10 to $0.14 per kWh. Distributed energy generators don’t require transmission lines investment, avoided cost in the case is equal to the cost of generation, which is estimated to be around one-third of the retail cost.
According to the report, if avoided cost of $0.05 is chosen by distributed generators to sell their excess electricity, there would be a $2.5 billion opportunity for the blockchain industry. This is worst case scenario, considered due to increase in pressure from utilities on decreasing net metering credit rates.
If distributed producers are compensated less by utilities, they may start consuming more power themselves or think of ways to sell it to other consumers. Assuming, if other consumers had an opportunity to buy electricity from distributed producers at $0.13, which is 10% discounted compared with the retail price, then there will be a big opportunity for distributed generation. Distributed producers would be compensated at much better rates and opportunity is quantified at $6.9 billion. If producers sell it at $0.10, a price in between avoided cost and a 10% discount to the grid price, then the opportunity available will be $5.1 billion.
Benefits of blockchain adoption for decentralized smart grids
Blockchain is the technology which can unleash the true potential of a decentralized model by providing secure, reliable, outage free and self-executing community management of energy networks. It will lead to lower lines losses, better load management, lesser outage hours and overall higher efficiency. Ability to conduct secure energy transactions in a peer-to-peer mode will increase the proportion of distributed generation within global energy mix. It will also provide great incentives for advancements in the field of renewable and Smart grid appliances. Overall, energy networks will become more robust with the inclusion of IoT and blockchain platforms, as every node and asset in the smart grid will be helping to keep the grid stable.
See original article from Jorge Jimenez titled Blockchain For Smart Grids Can Create A Decentralized Energy Marketplace.
- Medicalchain – first UK-based Company to bring Blockchain Technology to the Healthcare Industry Announced ICO - August 23, 2017
- Ties.Network Announces Token Generation Event (TGE) - August 23, 2017
- Bodhi Raised $10M Ahead of ICO Launch - August 22, 2017
- myGeoTracking Teams with Rivetz to Provide State of the Art Device Security for Mobile Field Employees - August 22, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Collaboration With Leading Retailers And Food Companies To Address Worldwide Food Safety - August 22, 2017
- SmartContract.com, Used by SWIFT, Announces Technical Leaders as Advisors, Launches ChainLink to Connect Smart Contracts to Off-chain Data & Payments - August 22, 2017
- Synechron Partners with R3 in One of the Largest Distributed Ledger Consortium Projects of the Year - August 22, 2017
- Hive Raises $8.95 Million to Build Blockchain-Based Invoice Finance Platform - August 22, 2017
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017