Banks around the world have invested significant resources into exploring Blockchain technology, and – that includes Canadian banks. But this year, the nation thrust itself into the centre of the movement that looks to turn Blockchain theory into reality when, in July, Canadian bank ATB Financial successfully sent money to a German bank via Blockchain technology — in just 20 seconds.
The payment was completed with help from the technologies behind the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and Blockchain FinTech company Ripple. In a statement, ATB Financial Chief Strategy and Operations Officer Curtis Stange said that the feat was significant for real-world adoption of Blockchain.
“Although we are very much still in the early stages of blockchain adoption, it was highly encouraging to see in a true demonstration the potential it has in transforming cross-border payments, making them almost instantaneous and reducing potential errors,” said Curtis Stange, chief strategy and operations officer, ATB Financial.
“Using SAP HANA Cloud Platform, we’re able to experiment and be nimble with emerging innovations like blockchain. The next stage for us, working with SAP and Ripple, will be to understand how the front-end experience should work for the benefit of our customers,” he added.
Reports this month suggest the Canadian market will work on strengthening its global position of implementing potential use cases for Blockchain technology.
Blockchain News reported recently that payments tech firm NetCents revealed a new partnership with The Vanbex Group, owners of Blockchain payments tool Genisys, to help banks in Canada implement the distributed ledger technology.
The collaboration is making some bold claims.
The union allows both companies to utilize each other’s strengths in order to develop the next generation of financial transactions by utilizing the emerging technology, the Blockchain. Blockchain technology has the potential to replace the over 30 trillion financial transactions per year currently processed by the Automated Clearing House (ACH) and the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT).
NetCents will be integrating Vanbex Group’s Genisys product, a Blockchain-integrated payment platform that offers a cost-effective, turn-key transaction messaging system for cross-border payments, to work in conjunction with the SWIFT and Clearing House Interbank Payments System (CHIPS) protocols.
It’s already happening, said Clayton Moore, CEO and cofounder of NetCents, especially when it comes to ACH payments.
“Blockchain is going to completely streamline that entire process,” he told PYMNTS. “It’ll be more of an instant payment. Right now, they’re taking three to five days in clearing,” he said of ACH payments.
NetCents isn’t the only company anticipating disruption to ACH payments by Blockchain technology.
The Deloitte Centre for Financial Services released a report in March that pinpointed ACH payments as a target for Blockchain disruption, and that Blockchain-based payments platforms could reach the scale and volume that ACH currently holds (at 23 billion transactions a year) by 2025.
“We believe that corporate payments may have a head start in adopting Blockchain technology, given the limited set of entities involved and the strong payment-transaction relationships corporates already have with banks,” Deloitte explained in its report.
Moore echoed this sentiment in an article at Blockchain News, explaining that B2B payments (along with consumer remittances) are definitely an area that could be most affected by the integration of Blockchain tools because of their potential to disrupt ACH and SWIFT so broadly.
But there is another side to the real-world application of Blockchain technology that Moore said could be just as big: the transmission of payments data via distributed ledger.
“That’s the big thing right now,” he said. “The big win for [banks] is to focus on the clearing side of things. The payment side of things is great, but I think there are bigger things going on in the clearing side.”
He pointed to Uber as an example, as consumers across the globe place their credit card information onto the app, but Uber then needs to disburse funds to all of its drivers. That, he said, is a process particularly applicable to the possibilities of the Blockchain.
“Anything to do with any sort of financial information is definitely going to be disrupted,” the executive added, whether it be B2B, B2C or C2C.
It’s the same sentiment expressed by SAP Senior Principal of Financial Services Kris Hansen when he spoke with PYMNTS about the motivation behind working with ATB Financial to conduct that 20-second cross-border payment.
“There are things we can do with Blockchain today — to implement solutions today,” he said. “It’s quite possible for us to take that technology and look at what we can do and implement that almost immediately.”
And, like Moore, Hansen highlighted the ability for distributed ledger technology to move more than money — settlement and reconciliation were also completed in 20 seconds during that transaction, he pointed out.
“This is what’s kind of new to the world, that the additional information you include about the payment is almost unbounded,” Hansen stated.
So, while the industry is hypothesizing about the speed at which money is moved, some of the players that are making Blockchain-based solutions a reality are shifting focus to the movement of information, too. That could pose a problem for ACH and SWIFT, both of which are the focus of faster payments initiatives.
Moore said he believes those efforts are all a response to the threat of Blockchain, as is the banks’ participation in the initiatives.
“Absolutely, banks are doing what they need to do to keep up,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s feasible for the marketplace, but that’s what’s happening.”
- Blockchain Startup Exscudo Rolls Out EON Source Code On GitHub - May 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017
- South Korea’s BOScoin announces ICO May 10th, 2017 - May 6, 2017