Banks around the world have invested significant resources into exploring Blockchain technology, and – that includes Canadian banks. But this year, the nation thrust itself into the centre of the movement that looks to turn Blockchain theory into reality when, in July, Canadian bank ATB Financial successfully sent money to a German bank via Blockchain technology — in just 20 seconds.
The payment was completed with help from the technologies behind the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and Blockchain FinTech company Ripple. In a statement, ATB Financial Chief Strategy and Operations Officer Curtis Stange said that the feat was significant for real-world adoption of Blockchain.
“Although we are very much still in the early stages of blockchain adoption, it was highly encouraging to see in a true demonstration the potential it has in transforming cross-border payments, making them almost instantaneous and reducing potential errors,” said Curtis Stange, chief strategy and operations officer, ATB Financial.
“Using SAP HANA Cloud Platform, we’re able to experiment and be nimble with emerging innovations like blockchain. The next stage for us, working with SAP and Ripple, will be to understand how the front-end experience should work for the benefit of our customers,” he added.
Reports this month suggest the Canadian market will work on strengthening its global position of implementing potential use cases for Blockchain technology.
Blockchain News reported recently that payments tech firm NetCents revealed a new partnership with The Vanbex Group, owners of Blockchain payments tool Genisys, to help banks in Canada implement the distributed ledger technology.
The collaboration is making some bold claims.
The union allows both companies to utilize each other’s strengths in order to develop the next generation of financial transactions by utilizing the emerging technology, the Blockchain. Blockchain technology has the potential to replace the over 30 trillion financial transactions per year currently processed by the Automated Clearing House (ACH) and the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT).
NetCents will be integrating Vanbex Group’s Genisys product, a Blockchain-integrated payment platform that offers a cost-effective, turn-key transaction messaging system for cross-border payments, to work in conjunction with the SWIFT and Clearing House Interbank Payments System (CHIPS) protocols.
It’s already happening, said Clayton Moore, CEO and cofounder of NetCents, especially when it comes to ACH payments.
“Blockchain is going to completely streamline that entire process,” he told PYMNTS. “It’ll be more of an instant payment. Right now, they’re taking three to five days in clearing,” he said of ACH payments.
NetCents isn’t the only company anticipating disruption to ACH payments by Blockchain technology.
The Deloitte Centre for Financial Services released a report in March that pinpointed ACH payments as a target for Blockchain disruption, and that Blockchain-based payments platforms could reach the scale and volume that ACH currently holds (at 23 billion transactions a year) by 2025.
“We believe that corporate payments may have a head start in adopting Blockchain technology, given the limited set of entities involved and the strong payment-transaction relationships corporates already have with banks,” Deloitte explained in its report.
Moore echoed this sentiment in an article at Blockchain News, explaining that B2B payments (along with consumer remittances) are definitely an area that could be most affected by the integration of Blockchain tools because of their potential to disrupt ACH and SWIFT so broadly.
But there is another side to the real-world application of Blockchain technology that Moore said could be just as big: the transmission of payments data via distributed ledger.
“That’s the big thing right now,” he said. “The big win for [banks] is to focus on the clearing side of things. The payment side of things is great, but I think there are bigger things going on in the clearing side.”
He pointed to Uber as an example, as consumers across the globe place their credit card information onto the app, but Uber then needs to disburse funds to all of its drivers. That, he said, is a process particularly applicable to the possibilities of the Blockchain.
“Anything to do with any sort of financial information is definitely going to be disrupted,” the executive added, whether it be B2B, B2C or C2C.
It’s the same sentiment expressed by SAP Senior Principal of Financial Services Kris Hansen when he spoke with PYMNTS about the motivation behind working with ATB Financial to conduct that 20-second cross-border payment.
“There are things we can do with Blockchain today — to implement solutions today,” he said. “It’s quite possible for us to take that technology and look at what we can do and implement that almost immediately.”
And, like Moore, Hansen highlighted the ability for distributed ledger technology to move more than money — settlement and reconciliation were also completed in 20 seconds during that transaction, he pointed out.
“This is what’s kind of new to the world, that the additional information you include about the payment is almost unbounded,” Hansen stated.
So, while the industry is hypothesizing about the speed at which money is moved, some of the players that are making Blockchain-based solutions a reality are shifting focus to the movement of information, too. That could pose a problem for ACH and SWIFT, both of which are the focus of faster payments initiatives.
Moore said he believes those efforts are all a response to the threat of Blockchain, as is the banks’ participation in the initiatives.
“Absolutely, banks are doing what they need to do to keep up,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s feasible for the marketplace, but that’s what’s happening.”
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – No Internet, No Mobile Phone, No Computer. No Problem. - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Banking Consortium R3 Gets Into Semantic Tornado Over Blockchain – Bitcoiners Jeer from Sidelines - February 25, 2017