Banks around the world have invested significant resources into exploring Blockchain technology, and – that includes Canadian banks. But this year, the nation thrust itself into the centre of the movement that looks to turn Blockchain theory into reality when, in July, Canadian bank ATB Financial successfully sent money to a German bank via Blockchain technology — in just 20 seconds.
The payment was completed with help from the technologies behind the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and Blockchain FinTech company Ripple. In a statement, ATB Financial Chief Strategy and Operations Officer Curtis Stange said that the feat was significant for real-world adoption of Blockchain.
“Although we are very much still in the early stages of blockchain adoption, it was highly encouraging to see in a true demonstration the potential it has in transforming cross-border payments, making them almost instantaneous and reducing potential errors,” said Curtis Stange, chief strategy and operations officer, ATB Financial.
“Using SAP HANA Cloud Platform, we’re able to experiment and be nimble with emerging innovations like blockchain. The next stage for us, working with SAP and Ripple, will be to understand how the front-end experience should work for the benefit of our customers,” he added.
Reports this month suggest the Canadian market will work on strengthening its global position of implementing potential use cases for Blockchain technology.
Blockchain News reported recently that payments tech firm NetCents revealed a new partnership with The Vanbex Group, owners of Blockchain payments tool Genisys, to help banks in Canada implement the distributed ledger technology.
The collaboration is making some bold claims.
The union allows both companies to utilize each other’s strengths in order to develop the next generation of financial transactions by utilizing the emerging technology, the Blockchain. Blockchain technology has the potential to replace the over 30 trillion financial transactions per year currently processed by the Automated Clearing House (ACH) and the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT).
NetCents will be integrating Vanbex Group’s Genisys product, a Blockchain-integrated payment platform that offers a cost-effective, turn-key transaction messaging system for cross-border payments, to work in conjunction with the SWIFT and Clearing House Interbank Payments System (CHIPS) protocols.
It’s already happening, said Clayton Moore, CEO and cofounder of NetCents, especially when it comes to ACH payments.
“Blockchain is going to completely streamline that entire process,” he told PYMNTS. “It’ll be more of an instant payment. Right now, they’re taking three to five days in clearing,” he said of ACH payments.
NetCents isn’t the only company anticipating disruption to ACH payments by Blockchain technology.
The Deloitte Centre for Financial Services released a report in March that pinpointed ACH payments as a target for Blockchain disruption, and that Blockchain-based payments platforms could reach the scale and volume that ACH currently holds (at 23 billion transactions a year) by 2025.
“We believe that corporate payments may have a head start in adopting Blockchain technology, given the limited set of entities involved and the strong payment-transaction relationships corporates already have with banks,” Deloitte explained in its report.
Moore echoed this sentiment in an article at Blockchain News, explaining that B2B payments (along with consumer remittances) are definitely an area that could be most affected by the integration of Blockchain tools because of their potential to disrupt ACH and SWIFT so broadly.
But there is another side to the real-world application of Blockchain technology that Moore said could be just as big: the transmission of payments data via distributed ledger.
“That’s the big thing right now,” he said. “The big win for [banks] is to focus on the clearing side of things. The payment side of things is great, but I think there are bigger things going on in the clearing side.”
He pointed to Uber as an example, as consumers across the globe place their credit card information onto the app, but Uber then needs to disburse funds to all of its drivers. That, he said, is a process particularly applicable to the possibilities of the Blockchain.
“Anything to do with any sort of financial information is definitely going to be disrupted,” the executive added, whether it be B2B, B2C or C2C.
It’s the same sentiment expressed by SAP Senior Principal of Financial Services Kris Hansen when he spoke with PYMNTS about the motivation behind working with ATB Financial to conduct that 20-second cross-border payment.
“There are things we can do with Blockchain today — to implement solutions today,” he said. “It’s quite possible for us to take that technology and look at what we can do and implement that almost immediately.”
And, like Moore, Hansen highlighted the ability for distributed ledger technology to move more than money — settlement and reconciliation were also completed in 20 seconds during that transaction, he pointed out.
“This is what’s kind of new to the world, that the additional information you include about the payment is almost unbounded,” Hansen stated.
So, while the industry is hypothesizing about the speed at which money is moved, some of the players that are making Blockchain-based solutions a reality are shifting focus to the movement of information, too. That could pose a problem for ACH and SWIFT, both of which are the focus of faster payments initiatives.
Moore said he believes those efforts are all a response to the threat of Blockchain, as is the banks’ participation in the initiatives.
“Absolutely, banks are doing what they need to do to keep up,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s feasible for the marketplace, but that’s what’s happening.”
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017
- Hyperledger Announces Production-Ready Hyperledger Fabric 1.0 - July 12, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Mihai Alisie Joins Aragon Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- Musiconomi Announces Crowdsale For Music Industry - July 12, 2017
- Mothership Launches Progressive Blockchain Financial Services with the Estonian e-Residency Program - July 12, 2017
- Sphre Raises Over $5 Million in XID Token Sale to Bring Identity Management to the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Token Sale: Revolutionary Virtual Reality Streaming Platform Supported by the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Liquidity Asset Token (LATO) announces PRE-ICO to Tokenize Assets - July 11, 2017
- $64,818 single spin payout by playing Hansel & Gretel at BitStarz Casino - July 8, 2017
- Startup Monetha Wants to Challenge PayPal’s and Trustpilot’s Status Quo with the Ethereum Blockchain - July 6, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bitclave Launches Advertising Application, Active Search Ecosystem and Cybersecurity Platform - July 6, 2017
- Qtum Claims World’s First Proof-of-Stake Smart Contracts Platform - July 5, 2017
- Deloitte CIS and Waves Say They Plan to Shape the Future of Blockchain - July 4, 2017
- NEVERDIE Teleportation ICO to Monetize Infrastructure and Drive Trillion Dollar Virtual Goods Economy as The First Double Coin ICO - July 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup ETHLend Wants to Revolutionise The Finance Lending Market - July 2, 2017
- Blockchain Startup EOS Token Distribution Generates Over US$185 Million in First Five Days - July 2, 2017
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Proposes Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) to Crush Rise of Cryptocurrencies - July 2, 2017
- DECENT Launches Blockchain-Based Content Distribution Platform to Take On Entertainment Giants - June 30, 2017
- Synereo Releases Content Monetization Platform WildSpark - June 30, 2017
- First-ever Blockchain Real Estate Project — 3,000 BTC Cap Crowdfunded in 24 Hours on Waves Platform - June 30, 2017