The World Economic Forum, best known for its annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, includes various members of the global financial elite, stated in a 130 page report released Friday that their findings suggest Blockchain Technology – also known as Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – has the potential to ‘live-up to the hype’ and reshape financial services, but it will require careful collaboration with other emerging technologies, regulators, incumbents and additional stakeholders to be successful.
The study, which was based on a year of research and discussions with financial institutions around the world, notes that 80 per cent of banks are expected to start these projects in 2017 and that more than 90 central banks are currently discussing the use of the technology.
“Rather than to stay at the margins of the finance industry Blockchain will become the beating heart of it,” the head of financial services industries at the World Economic Forum, Giancarlo Bruno, said in a statement released with the report.
From the report:
“DLT has great potential to drive simplicity and efficiency through the establishment of new financial services infrastructure and processes DLT is not a panacea; instead it should be viewed as one of many technologies that will form the foundation of next-generation financial services infrastructure.
Applications of DLT will differ by use case, each leveraging the technology in different ways for a diverse range of benefits.
Digital Identity is a critical enabler to broaden applications to new verticals; Digital Fiat (legal tender), along with other emerging capabilities, has the ability to amplify benefits.
The most impactful DLT applications will require deep collaboration between incumbents, innovators and regulators, adding complexity and delaying implementation. New financial services infrastructure built on DLT will redraw processes and call into question orthodoxies that are foundational to today’s business models.”
“The most impactful distributed ledger technology applications will require deep collaboration between incumbents, innovators and regulators, adding complexity and delaying implementation.”
This report, says the New York Times, is a huge step toward legitimizing the technology behind bitcoin in the financial mainstream:
The World Economic Forum report notes that most developments are likely to happen behind the scenes. So consumers won’t see the changes to infrastructure, but the changes could lead to cheaper and faster financial services. The report says the technology could help improve both mainstream transactions, like global payments and stock trading, and lesser-known areas like trade finance and contingent convertible bonds.
The 130-page report from the forum is the product of a year of research and five gatherings of executives from several major institutions, including JPMorgan Chase, Visa, MasterCard and BlackRock.
- Bodhi Raised $10M Ahead of ICO Launch - August 22, 2017
- myGeoTracking Teams with Rivetz to Provide State of the Art Device Security for Mobile Field Employees - August 22, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Collaboration With Leading Retailers And Food Companies To Address Worldwide Food Safety - August 22, 2017
- SmartContract.com, Used by SWIFT, Announces Technical Leaders as Advisors, Launches ChainLink to Connect Smart Contracts to Off-chain Data & Payments - August 22, 2017
- Synechron Partners with R3 in One of the Largest Distributed Ledger Consortium Projects of the Year - August 22, 2017
- Hive Raises $8.95 Million to Build Blockchain-Based Invoice Finance Platform - August 22, 2017
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017