The Open Music Initiative (OMI), an initiative of the Berklee College of Music’s Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship (BerkleeICE), today announced that it has selected Intel’s open source blockchain technology, Sawtooth Lake, as its reference platform open source ledger for tracking, managing and protecting use of creators and rights holders’ intellectual property. Blockchain is the tamper-proof ledger that is increasingly being used to secure and verify a variety of digital transactions, including the distribution of music files.
Among the approaches being considered, OMI will employ Sawtooth Lake as a foundational technology for the reference implementation to share OMI’s application programming interfaces (APIs) and protocols. OMI’s open source ledger will facilitate transparency and seamless payment flows within the industry.
“The underlying vision of OMI is to create a uniform way of identifying musical rights ownership, and we have assembled a broad community of creators, entrepreneurs, industry professionals technologists and academic researchers to address this,” said Panos Panay, co-founder of OMI and founding managing director at BerkleeICE. “Working with Intel, a global titan of business, technology and innovation, and deploying its technology to advance the prototyping and development of our open source ledger will accelerate OMI’s mission to create a shared digital architecture for the modern music business.”
“Blockchain technology offers the potential to address the rights management challenges that many industries, including music, face today,” said Jerry Bautista, Jerry Bautista, vice president New Technology Group/general manager of Intel’s New Business Group.. “By using Sawtooth Lake as their foundational reference platform blockchain technology, OMI will be able to accelerate plans to deliver a music rights open source platform.”
“Adding Intel’s technical depth and blockchain experience will make a significant impact for OMI,” said OMI Co-founder and Technology Lead Dan Harple, CEO of Context Labs and an internet pioneer in web streaming and VoIP. “Capitalizing on blockchain technology via Sawtooth Lake will help us address the music industry’s most vexing challenge – protecting creative rights, intellectual property and the livelihood of the artists, entertainers and music owners who enrich our lives.”
Additionally, Intel will join the 130+ member consortium. OMI’s mission is the development of a decentralized technology platform that dramatically simplifies the way music creators and rights owners are identified and compensated.
OMI was announced on June 13 and is spearheaded by a group of leading academic institutions including BerkleeICE, the MIT Media Lab and University College London. The consortium has garnered broad and unprecedented support from across the entire music industry spectrum. Founding members include: Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, BMG, Spotify, YouTube, Pandora, SoundCloud, Netflix, SiriusXM, Société des Auteurs, Compositeurs et éditeurs de Musique (SACEM), collector and distributor of mechanical license fees Harry Fox Agency and a wide variety of startups in the rights management space.
The next phase of the OMI advancements kicked off during OMI’s Technology Meeting on September 13, in New York.
To learn more about the initiative, Intel’s involvement or to join, visit the OMI website: http://www.open-music.org.
Open Music Initiative (OMI) is a non-profit collective of musicians, entrepreneurs, industry professionals, academics, technologists and policy experts who love and value music. Its mission is to promote and advance the development of open source standards and innovation related to music rights and all their associated uses. Utilizing today’s technologies and open source mindset, OMI believes the way music rights owners are identified and compensated can be radically improved for digital era sustainability. Additional information on OMI is available at http://www.open-music.org.
Berklee’s Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship (ICE), an initiative within Berklee College of Music, is designed to inspire, educate and launch the next generation of creative entrepreneurs. BerkleeICE helps prepare graduates for careers as entrepreneurs; fosters the creation of new products, services and businesses in the creative industry; and inspires disruptive ideas through musical creativity and cross-discipline collaboration. Learn more about BerkleeICE at http://berklee.edu and its Open Music Initiative at http://berklee.edu/ice/omi.
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017
- Hyperledger Announces Production-Ready Hyperledger Fabric 1.0 - July 12, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Mihai Alisie Joins Aragon Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- Musiconomi Announces Crowdsale For Music Industry - July 12, 2017
- Mothership Launches Progressive Blockchain Financial Services with the Estonian e-Residency Program - July 12, 2017
- Sphre Raises Over $5 Million in XID Token Sale to Bring Identity Management to the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Token Sale: Revolutionary Virtual Reality Streaming Platform Supported by the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Liquidity Asset Token (LATO) announces PRE-ICO to Tokenize Assets - July 11, 2017
- $64,818 single spin payout by playing Hansel & Gretel at BitStarz Casino - July 8, 2017
- Startup Monetha Wants to Challenge PayPal’s and Trustpilot’s Status Quo with the Ethereum Blockchain - July 6, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bitclave Launches Advertising Application, Active Search Ecosystem and Cybersecurity Platform - July 6, 2017
- Qtum Claims World’s First Proof-of-Stake Smart Contracts Platform - July 5, 2017
- Deloitte CIS and Waves Say They Plan to Shape the Future of Blockchain - July 4, 2017
- NEVERDIE Teleportation ICO to Monetize Infrastructure and Drive Trillion Dollar Virtual Goods Economy as The First Double Coin ICO - July 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup ETHLend Wants to Revolutionise The Finance Lending Market - July 2, 2017
- Blockchain Startup EOS Token Distribution Generates Over US$185 Million in First Five Days - July 2, 2017
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Proposes Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) to Crush Rise of Cryptocurrencies - July 2, 2017
- DECENT Launches Blockchain-Based Content Distribution Platform to Take On Entertainment Giants - June 30, 2017
- Synereo Releases Content Monetization Platform WildSpark - June 30, 2017
- First-ever Blockchain Real Estate Project — 3,000 BTC Cap Crowdfunded in 24 Hours on Waves Platform - June 30, 2017
- CoinDash, a Crypto Based Social Trading Platform, engages WINGS for Upcoming Token Sale Price Discovery and Social Engagement - June 30, 2017