The Grantcoin Foundation, a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, distributed Basic Income grants of Grantcoin digital currency to 757 self-selected applicants in at least 69 countries around the world on October 1, 2016. This is about three times as many people in four times as many countries as the previous distribution of Grantcoin Basic Income on June 30.
“Grantcoin is solidifying its position as the leading cryptocurrency that issues its money supply as a Universal Basic Income,” said Eric Stetson, founder and Executive Director of the Grantcoin Foundation. “A big thank you to all the people who signed up and verified your accounts for Grantcoin’s second quarterly distribution. You are early adopters of something very special — the first currency in world history that’s backed by a nonprofit NGO and designed to help create a more fair global distribution of wealth.”
Over 1,650 people have signed up to receive Grantcoin Basic Income, but about 900 of them did not verify their account by September 29, and therefore were not included in this round of Grantcoin distribution. If you missed it this time, sign up to be included in the next distribution in December — or if you already signed up but haven’t yet verified, please follow the instructions you received by email to verify that you are a unique human being.
Economic Value Distributed This Quarter
A total of 10,647,758.620924 GRT was distributed in the second quarterly distribution of Grantcoin through Basic Income grants and referral bonuses. At the October 1 price of Grantcoin on Bittrex, the largestexchange where the currency is traded, that is worth approximately $5,323.88 in U.S. dollars.
The average recipient received 14,065.731335 GRT. At the October 1 price of Grantcoin, that is worth approximately $7.03 in U.S. dollars.
The price of Grantcoin has doubled since the previous distribution of Grantcoin Basic Income on June 30. This is in keeping with the theory of the network effect, that the value of the currency should increase as the number of participants grows.
Redistribution of Grantcoin Sent to Unverified Recipients
Last quarter, the Grantcoin Foundation created wallets for people who signed up but did not yet complete the verification process or who attempted to verify but were suspected of fraud. We sent Grantcoin Basic Income and referral bonuses into those wallets, but we did not give unverified recipients access to the funds — pending their successful verification for the program.
During the past three months, the Grantcoin Foundation reached out to all of these people with reminders and instructions to verify. Some of them verified their account for Grantcoin but most did not. As stated in our blog post on June 30, “Unverified applicants for Grantcoin Basic Income have until September 21 to verify their account, or else will forfeit the Grantcoin that is being held for them. Forfeited Grantcoin from this quarter will be added into the [next quarter’s] distribution.”
429,759.484332 GRT of referral bonuses was forfeited and sent back to the originating Grantcoin Foundation wallet (see block 537816).
As a result, the amount of Grantcoin distributed on October 1 was larger than normal. This quarter, we discontinued the practice of including unverified applicants in the distribution.
Accounting, Evidence, and Geographical Breakdown of Basic Income Grants
In accordance with the Grantcoin Foundation’s plan to add 3.5% per year to the Grantcoin money supply through Basic Income grants, 0.875% was added in this way in the second quarterly distribution of Grantcoin. 451,521,313.915013 GRT was in circulation (i.e. not held in reserve by the Grantcoin Foundation) on October 1 before the distribution occurred, so 3,950,811.496756 GRT — plus the additional 1,839,672.178422 GRT that was forfeited and redistributed from last quarter — was distributed from a Grantcoin Reserve wallet designated for Basic Income Grants (wallet address: GV9ns15UAPwnxs4Bo4mNZ2SwN2RTaSNayR).
Therefore, total distribution of Basic Income this quarter was 5,790,483.675178 GRT. Each recipient received 7,649.251883 GRT in Basic Income.
Evidence of this distribution can be found in these blocks of the Grantcoin blockchain, broken down into geographical groupings as follows:
- United States: 227 people
- Puerto Rico: 114 people
- Germany: 84
- United Kingdom: 30
- Canada: 22
- Portugal: 20
- Ghana: 15
- Australia: 14
- France: 11
- Dominican Republic: 10
- Philippines: 10
- Spain: 10
- South Africa: 7
- Sweden: 7
- Switzerland: 7
- Austria: 6
- Belgium: 6
- Nigeria: 6
- Barbados: 5
- Denmark: 5
- Greece: 5
- Indonesia: 4
- Mexico: 4
- Romania: 4
- Brazil: 3
- India: 3
- Netherlands: 3
- Nicaragua: 3
- China: 2
- Democratic Republic of Congo: 2
- Finland: 2
- Italy: 2
- Japan: 2
- Russia: 2
- Saint Lucia: 2
- Sierra Leone: 2
- Slovenia: 2
- Ukraine: 2
- 31 other countries: 1 person each (Azores, Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Gambia, Honduras, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates)
- Unknown country: 61 people
Imagine the possibilities of a large database of Grantcoin wallets grouped by geographical location. As the Grantcoin network grows, we will begin to break them down into even more specific groupings such as state/province or region, and city/town or community. Smart contracts can be set up to enable charitable givers to donate money directly, instantly, to the people of nations and localities — for example, if there is a natural disaster that strikes a particular place in the world. Grantcoin could therefore become a powerful tool for direct charitable giving.
Accounting, Evidence, and Leaderboard for Referral Bonuses
4,857,274.945493 GRT in referral bonuses were distributed this quarter from a Grantcoin Reserve wallet designated for Growth Incentives (wallet address: GSopxVrRWDM3hnBtoJFKTf7qamz7H3S5R4). These transactions were sent on October 2.
480 people received a referral bonus this quarter. 102 people referred at least one person to the program (worth 7,649.251883 GRT per referral), and the others received a bonus (3,824.625941 GRT) for signing up with somebody’s referral code. Note: If you referred somebody who signed up but has not yet verified for the program, you will not receive the corresponding referral bonus until they verify.
Evidence of the distribution of referral bonuses can be found in these blocks of the Grantcoin blockchain, broken down into groupings as follows:
- Top 20 referral bonus recipients:
- 757,275.936417 GRT — L.M.T.L. of Puerto Rico (99 referrals)
- 325,093.205027 GRT — R.F. of Germany (42)
- 168,283.541426 GRT — A.L.C.S. of Puerto Rico (22)
- 149,160.411718 GRT — F.R. of the United States (19)
- 122,388.030128 GRT — C.D. of unknown country (16)
- 107,089.526362 GRT — E.S. of the United States (14)
- 107,089.526362 GRT — M.P. of Germany (14)
- 95,615.648537 GRT — A.M. of the United States (12)
- 80,317.144771 GRT — B.H. of the United States (10)
- 72,667.892888 GRT — A.A. of unknown country (9)
- 61,194.015064 GRT — N.R. of Barbados (8)
- 53,544.763181 GRT — R.D.L. of the Philippines (7)
- 53,544.763181 GRT — M.B. of Greece (7)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — B.C. of the United States (6)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — L.G. of the United States (6)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — M.M.F. of Denmark (6)
- 38,246.259415 GRT — T.R. of the United States (6)
- 38,246.259415 GRT — R.H. of the United States (5)
- 34,421.633473 GRT — G.D. of Ghana (4)
- 30,597.007532 GRT — B. of Germany (4)
- Everyone else who referred more than one person
- Everyone who signed up with a referral code and referred one person
- Everyone else who referred one person
- People who signed up with a referral code; no referrals: block 539646, 539654, 539668, 539676.
The top referrer this quarter earned the Grantcoin equivalent of $378 U.S. dollars — great job! And it took less than 100 referrals to do it.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Grantcoin referral program. You’re helping Grantcoin grow exponentially, which, if it continues, will give this currency a good chance of world-changing success. In some countries Grantcoin could soon be on the verge of going viral, thanks in large part to your efforts to spread the word. Let’s keep the momentum going!
Wallets To Be Distributed This Week
When people verified their signup for Grantcoin Basic Income, they were given the option of either creating their own Grantcoin wallet and sending us the address, or having the Grantcoin Foundation create a wallet for them. Most people chose the latter option.
We distributed Grantcoin into all of these wallets, but people who didn’t create their own wallet don’t have access to the funds yet. We will provide the address and private key to each person for whom we created a wallet — this information will be sent by encrypted email within the next few days.
Automation, Web-Based Distribution, and the Future of Grantcoin Basic Income
In closing, some quick thoughts on what we’re working on to improve the methodology and user experience for our Basic Income program.
The first two quarterly distributions of Grantcoin Basic Income have been done with a LOT of manual labor. Now that Grantcoin is becoming popular, we’re investing in automation to make it easier to grow at a faster rate without overwhelming our human personnel. We expect that by the end of October, the signup and verification process will be fully automated, except for a small percentage of manual audits.
We’re also setting a goal that Grantcoin distribution will be automated by the end of this year. Participants will be able to receive and spend their Grantcoin through Ekata.social, a web-based social media platform. For the average Grantcoin user — most of whom are not familiar with cryptocurrency technology — that means an easier user experience compared to the desktop QT wallet software.
We Need Your Help
If you like what they are doing and you want to see the Grantcoin project continue to grow and achieve greater milestones of success, please help. Donate to the Grantcoin Foundation, buy Grantcoin, or volunteer your time and talent.
Together with Grantcoin you can create a world in which money:
“…shall be issued to all people as a human right, as a universal basic income to be enjoyed by all — to compensate, at least partially, for the accidents of birth and circumstances of fortune that have blessed or condemned different people and regions of the world to wealth or poverty.”
That’s the Grantcoin Mission, and they are doing their best to bring it to fruition.
- IBM, Natixis, and Trafigura introduce first-ever Blockchain solution for U.S. crude oil market - March 28, 2017
- Humaniq Opens ICO Pre-orders to Bank Transfers - March 27, 2017
- OpenLedger’s Apptrade (www.apptrade.io), the platform creating “Kickstarter for Apps on the Blockchain”, has received a $100,000 USD boost from OpenLedger ApS, the world’s first blockchain powered conglomerate. Powered by the digital token APPX, Apptrade creates portfolios, or groups, of apps, where if one of those apps becomes the next Instagram or Angry Birds, then the value of the portfolio rises. Ronny Boesing, CEO of OpenLedger ApS, explained that Apptrade’s initial token offering (ITO) changed its valuation in the middle of its crowd sale as an immediate response to the result of its preliminary offering. Boesing said, “The Apptrade platform is much too important to not succeed, and it was clear that we needed to adjust the valuation to make it more appealing to anyone deciding to participate. In addition, we wanted to show our belief in this project, and felt that there was no better way to show this than putting our money where our mouth is. OpenLedger will be adding a total of $100 000 USD to the Crowdsale over the next 7 days.” The minimum fundraising goal is $1M USD with a cap of $5M USD. With a total of 8.25M APPX tokens on offer, OpenLedger’s Apptrade ApS will back these tokens with 20% of the future revenue from the Apptrade platform, and any unsold tokens will therefore be distributed proportionally to all participants. All early bird participants, as well new participants, will receive the extra tokens according to the published Stage 1 structure, plus benefit from the additional tokens to be divided. Daniel Pineda, Founder of Apptrade says, “After listening carefully to feedback from public and private supporters, and with great consideration, we decided to update our master token valuation. We firmly believe that our platform, built on the ecosystem of OpenLedger and powerful BitShares financial trading technology, is a strong Blockchain project that will be a success for years to come. We feel that this is the right action to ensure a satisfactory outcome for all.” Apptrade’s final valuation is going to be based on the amount raised, whether $1M USD as its threshold or money back guarantee, or the maximum of $5M USD. The valuation of the Apptrade platform will be determined on what is raised. The deadline according to the escrow agreement is set to end on April 30 2017. Boesing continued, “This approach and change of valuation resulted from requests from within the community, and we hope to accommodate many more participants. But one thing is clear to all of the Early Birds – this is your lucky day!” - March 27, 2017
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017