The Grantcoin Foundation, a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, distributed Basic Income grants of Grantcoin digital currency to 757 self-selected applicants in at least 69 countries around the world on October 1, 2016. This is about three times as many people in four times as many countries as the previous distribution of Grantcoin Basic Income on June 30.
“Grantcoin is solidifying its position as the leading cryptocurrency that issues its money supply as a Universal Basic Income,” said Eric Stetson, founder and Executive Director of the Grantcoin Foundation. “A big thank you to all the people who signed up and verified your accounts for Grantcoin’s second quarterly distribution. You are early adopters of something very special — the first currency in world history that’s backed by a nonprofit NGO and designed to help create a more fair global distribution of wealth.”
Over 1,650 people have signed up to receive Grantcoin Basic Income, but about 900 of them did not verify their account by September 29, and therefore were not included in this round of Grantcoin distribution. If you missed it this time, sign up to be included in the next distribution in December — or if you already signed up but haven’t yet verified, please follow the instructions you received by email to verify that you are a unique human being.
Economic Value Distributed This Quarter
A total of 10,647,758.620924 GRT was distributed in the second quarterly distribution of Grantcoin through Basic Income grants and referral bonuses. At the October 1 price of Grantcoin on Bittrex, the largestexchange where the currency is traded, that is worth approximately $5,323.88 in U.S. dollars.
The average recipient received 14,065.731335 GRT. At the October 1 price of Grantcoin, that is worth approximately $7.03 in U.S. dollars.
The price of Grantcoin has doubled since the previous distribution of Grantcoin Basic Income on June 30. This is in keeping with the theory of the network effect, that the value of the currency should increase as the number of participants grows.
Redistribution of Grantcoin Sent to Unverified Recipients
Last quarter, the Grantcoin Foundation created wallets for people who signed up but did not yet complete the verification process or who attempted to verify but were suspected of fraud. We sent Grantcoin Basic Income and referral bonuses into those wallets, but we did not give unverified recipients access to the funds — pending their successful verification for the program.
During the past three months, the Grantcoin Foundation reached out to all of these people with reminders and instructions to verify. Some of them verified their account for Grantcoin but most did not. As stated in our blog post on June 30, “Unverified applicants for Grantcoin Basic Income have until September 21 to verify their account, or else will forfeit the Grantcoin that is being held for them. Forfeited Grantcoin from this quarter will be added into the [next quarter’s] distribution.”
429,759.484332 GRT of referral bonuses was forfeited and sent back to the originating Grantcoin Foundation wallet (see block 537816).
As a result, the amount of Grantcoin distributed on October 1 was larger than normal. This quarter, we discontinued the practice of including unverified applicants in the distribution.
Accounting, Evidence, and Geographical Breakdown of Basic Income Grants
In accordance with the Grantcoin Foundation’s plan to add 3.5% per year to the Grantcoin money supply through Basic Income grants, 0.875% was added in this way in the second quarterly distribution of Grantcoin. 451,521,313.915013 GRT was in circulation (i.e. not held in reserve by the Grantcoin Foundation) on October 1 before the distribution occurred, so 3,950,811.496756 GRT — plus the additional 1,839,672.178422 GRT that was forfeited and redistributed from last quarter — was distributed from a Grantcoin Reserve wallet designated for Basic Income Grants (wallet address: GV9ns15UAPwnxs4Bo4mNZ2SwN2RTaSNayR).
Therefore, total distribution of Basic Income this quarter was 5,790,483.675178 GRT. Each recipient received 7,649.251883 GRT in Basic Income.
Evidence of this distribution can be found in these blocks of the Grantcoin blockchain, broken down into geographical groupings as follows:
- United States: 227 people
- Puerto Rico: 114 people
- Germany: 84
- United Kingdom: 30
- Canada: 22
- Portugal: 20
- Ghana: 15
- Australia: 14
- France: 11
- Dominican Republic: 10
- Philippines: 10
- Spain: 10
- South Africa: 7
- Sweden: 7
- Switzerland: 7
- Austria: 6
- Belgium: 6
- Nigeria: 6
- Barbados: 5
- Denmark: 5
- Greece: 5
- Indonesia: 4
- Mexico: 4
- Romania: 4
- Brazil: 3
- India: 3
- Netherlands: 3
- Nicaragua: 3
- China: 2
- Democratic Republic of Congo: 2
- Finland: 2
- Italy: 2
- Japan: 2
- Russia: 2
- Saint Lucia: 2
- Sierra Leone: 2
- Slovenia: 2
- Ukraine: 2
- 31 other countries: 1 person each (Azores, Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Gambia, Honduras, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates)
- Unknown country: 61 people
Imagine the possibilities of a large database of Grantcoin wallets grouped by geographical location. As the Grantcoin network grows, we will begin to break them down into even more specific groupings such as state/province or region, and city/town or community. Smart contracts can be set up to enable charitable givers to donate money directly, instantly, to the people of nations and localities — for example, if there is a natural disaster that strikes a particular place in the world. Grantcoin could therefore become a powerful tool for direct charitable giving.
Accounting, Evidence, and Leaderboard for Referral Bonuses
4,857,274.945493 GRT in referral bonuses were distributed this quarter from a Grantcoin Reserve wallet designated for Growth Incentives (wallet address: GSopxVrRWDM3hnBtoJFKTf7qamz7H3S5R4). These transactions were sent on October 2.
480 people received a referral bonus this quarter. 102 people referred at least one person to the program (worth 7,649.251883 GRT per referral), and the others received a bonus (3,824.625941 GRT) for signing up with somebody’s referral code. Note: If you referred somebody who signed up but has not yet verified for the program, you will not receive the corresponding referral bonus until they verify.
Evidence of the distribution of referral bonuses can be found in these blocks of the Grantcoin blockchain, broken down into groupings as follows:
- Top 20 referral bonus recipients:
- 757,275.936417 GRT — L.M.T.L. of Puerto Rico (99 referrals)
- 325,093.205027 GRT — R.F. of Germany (42)
- 168,283.541426 GRT — A.L.C.S. of Puerto Rico (22)
- 149,160.411718 GRT — F.R. of the United States (19)
- 122,388.030128 GRT — C.D. of unknown country (16)
- 107,089.526362 GRT — E.S. of the United States (14)
- 107,089.526362 GRT — M.P. of Germany (14)
- 95,615.648537 GRT — A.M. of the United States (12)
- 80,317.144771 GRT — B.H. of the United States (10)
- 72,667.892888 GRT — A.A. of unknown country (9)
- 61,194.015064 GRT — N.R. of Barbados (8)
- 53,544.763181 GRT — R.D.L. of the Philippines (7)
- 53,544.763181 GRT — M.B. of Greece (7)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — B.C. of the United States (6)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — L.G. of the United States (6)
- 45,895.511298 GRT — M.M.F. of Denmark (6)
- 38,246.259415 GRT — T.R. of the United States (6)
- 38,246.259415 GRT — R.H. of the United States (5)
- 34,421.633473 GRT — G.D. of Ghana (4)
- 30,597.007532 GRT — B. of Germany (4)
- Everyone else who referred more than one person
- Everyone who signed up with a referral code and referred one person
- Everyone else who referred one person
- People who signed up with a referral code; no referrals: block 539646, 539654, 539668, 539676.
The top referrer this quarter earned the Grantcoin equivalent of $378 U.S. dollars — great job! And it took less than 100 referrals to do it.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Grantcoin referral program. You’re helping Grantcoin grow exponentially, which, if it continues, will give this currency a good chance of world-changing success. In some countries Grantcoin could soon be on the verge of going viral, thanks in large part to your efforts to spread the word. Let’s keep the momentum going!
Wallets To Be Distributed This Week
When people verified their signup for Grantcoin Basic Income, they were given the option of either creating their own Grantcoin wallet and sending us the address, or having the Grantcoin Foundation create a wallet for them. Most people chose the latter option.
We distributed Grantcoin into all of these wallets, but people who didn’t create their own wallet don’t have access to the funds yet. We will provide the address and private key to each person for whom we created a wallet — this information will be sent by encrypted email within the next few days.
Automation, Web-Based Distribution, and the Future of Grantcoin Basic Income
In closing, some quick thoughts on what we’re working on to improve the methodology and user experience for our Basic Income program.
The first two quarterly distributions of Grantcoin Basic Income have been done with a LOT of manual labor. Now that Grantcoin is becoming popular, we’re investing in automation to make it easier to grow at a faster rate without overwhelming our human personnel. We expect that by the end of October, the signup and verification process will be fully automated, except for a small percentage of manual audits.
We’re also setting a goal that Grantcoin distribution will be automated by the end of this year. Participants will be able to receive and spend their Grantcoin through Ekata.social, a web-based social media platform. For the average Grantcoin user — most of whom are not familiar with cryptocurrency technology — that means an easier user experience compared to the desktop QT wallet software.
We Need Your Help
If you like what they are doing and you want to see the Grantcoin project continue to grow and achieve greater milestones of success, please help. Donate to the Grantcoin Foundation, buy Grantcoin, or volunteer your time and talent.
Together with Grantcoin you can create a world in which money:
“…shall be issued to all people as a human right, as a universal basic income to be enjoyed by all — to compensate, at least partially, for the accidents of birth and circumstances of fortune that have blessed or condemned different people and regions of the world to wealth or poverty.”
That’s the Grantcoin Mission, and they are doing their best to bring it to fruition.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017