Guardtime and Intrinsic-ID today announced an alliance to deliver customer solutions combining Intrinsic-ID’s SRAM Physical Unclonable Functions (PUFs) and Guardtime’s Keyless Signature Infrastructure (KSI) Blockchain technology, providing a new level of security and governance for the Internet of Things.
The number of networked, automated devices is growing at an alarming pace. However security techniques such as Firewalls, PKI, IDS/IPS systems and anti-virus software were designed for a previous era of enterprise networks and struggle to remain relevant in a world of 50 billion connected devices. Rather than retrofitting security after the fact, new techniques must be developed. A combination of SRAM PUF technologies and Blockchains provides highly scalable data integrity and authentication down to the chip level.
Guardtime and Intrinsic-ID will conduct a series of pilots in order to showcase customer security solutions, leveraging Intrinsic-ID’s SRAM PUF-based key management system, and Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain. The initial focus is on mission assurance for defense customers as well as telecom operators rolling out smart city solutions in energy, health care and transportation.
Matthew Johnson, Guardtime CTO said:
“Having worked with PUF technologies over the last 15 years, I’m convinced that Intrinsic-ID is the first company to successfully industrialize the technology and bring it to the mainstream. We are extremely excited to be working with the team at Intrinsic-ID and look forward to building solutions that solve hard customer problems.”
Pim Tuyls, Intrinsic-ID CEO added:
“We are thrilled to be working with Guardtime to integrate PUF technology with Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain. The combination of PUF technology and Blockchains represents a new level of security and governance for customers who wish to deploy IOT devices at scale.”
Intrinsic-ID’s core SRAM PUF security technology is the foundation for establishing the latest advancement in key management and key protection in integrated circuits. Due to deep-submicron manufacturing process variations, every transistor in an Integrated Circuit (IC) has slightly different physical properties. Since these process variations are uncontrollable during manufacturing, the physical properties of a device, its fingerprint, can neither be copied nor cloned. The electronic fingerprint is used to securely and reliably derive a device-unique cryptographic key and removes the need to store any sensitive key material in non-volatile memory (NVM). As SRAM is already present on nearly every microcontroller and CPU and requires no NVM, this solution is very scalable and flexible.
Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain is an industrial grade Blockchain stack that has been underpinning governments since 2007. The Blockchain encompasses both a distributed ledger for managing ownership of digital assets as a well as a generator for cryptographic metadata that proves the properties of the underlying data without reliance on trusted third parties.
Combining PUFs and Blockchain for IOT Governance
By using PUF Technology to uniquely authenticate a device and registering that device with ownership information on a ledger, the provenance and integrity of every piece of data generated by that device can be cryptographically proven and linked back to an authenticated device with end to end chain of custody. This way the data integrity and authentication perimeter is extended all the way to the silicon chips where the data originates.
Intrinsic-ID is the world leading embedded authentication company based on the unique and patented technology called SRAM Physical Unclonable Function or SRAM PUF. Its solutions and products create a unique ID and cryptographically secure keys from the physical behavior of the SRAM PUF. This key is invisible to attackers, unique per device and can be leveraged to authenticate the chip, the data on the chip, the device and even the whole system. On top of this, Intrinsic-ID offers solutions to protect the supply chain. These range from tracking and monitoring chips and devices (even in the case of remote contract manufacturers) to low cost, simplified key provisioning and protection against counterfeiting and overbuilding. Due to its simplicity, these products can be applied to all modern chips, microcontrollers and CPUs without making a change to the hardware. Currently this technology is being used by its customers in the field to protect the most sensitive payment, content, connectivity, sensor and government data and systems.
Guardtime is the first and only platform for ensuring the integrity of data and systems at industrial scale. Guardtime created Keyless Signature Infrastructure (KSI) to take on the challenges of today’s perimeter-based security systems and secure the integrity of data in today’s increasingly digital world. Built on an industrial Blockchain, KSI signs any and all data across a system, allowing independent verification of time, integrity and identity for any moment in history. Guardtime’s mission is to build the essential backbone for truth, assurance and integrity for our digital world.
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – No Internet, No Mobile Phone, No Computer. No Problem. - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Banking Consortium R3 Gets Into Semantic Tornado Over Blockchain – Bitcoiners Jeer from Sidelines - February 25, 2017
- IOHK and University of Edinburgh Establish Blockchain Technology Laboratory - February 24, 2017
- Liberland to Launch Online Startup Contest to Kick Off Smart Nation - February 23, 2017
- Blockchain Intelligence Group Launches QLUE Version Codename Deep Cove - February 23, 2017
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017