Guardtime and Intrinsic-ID today announced an alliance to deliver customer solutions combining Intrinsic-ID’s SRAM Physical Unclonable Functions (PUFs) and Guardtime’s Keyless Signature Infrastructure (KSI) Blockchain technology, providing a new level of security and governance for the Internet of Things.
The number of networked, automated devices is growing at an alarming pace. However security techniques such as Firewalls, PKI, IDS/IPS systems and anti-virus software were designed for a previous era of enterprise networks and struggle to remain relevant in a world of 50 billion connected devices. Rather than retrofitting security after the fact, new techniques must be developed. A combination of SRAM PUF technologies and Blockchains provides highly scalable data integrity and authentication down to the chip level.
Guardtime and Intrinsic-ID will conduct a series of pilots in order to showcase customer security solutions, leveraging Intrinsic-ID’s SRAM PUF-based key management system, and Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain. The initial focus is on mission assurance for defense customers as well as telecom operators rolling out smart city solutions in energy, health care and transportation.
Matthew Johnson, Guardtime CTO said:
“Having worked with PUF technologies over the last 15 years, I’m convinced that Intrinsic-ID is the first company to successfully industrialize the technology and bring it to the mainstream. We are extremely excited to be working with the team at Intrinsic-ID and look forward to building solutions that solve hard customer problems.”
Pim Tuyls, Intrinsic-ID CEO added:
“We are thrilled to be working with Guardtime to integrate PUF technology with Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain. The combination of PUF technology and Blockchains represents a new level of security and governance for customers who wish to deploy IOT devices at scale.”
Intrinsic-ID’s core SRAM PUF security technology is the foundation for establishing the latest advancement in key management and key protection in integrated circuits. Due to deep-submicron manufacturing process variations, every transistor in an Integrated Circuit (IC) has slightly different physical properties. Since these process variations are uncontrollable during manufacturing, the physical properties of a device, its fingerprint, can neither be copied nor cloned. The electronic fingerprint is used to securely and reliably derive a device-unique cryptographic key and removes the need to store any sensitive key material in non-volatile memory (NVM). As SRAM is already present on nearly every microcontroller and CPU and requires no NVM, this solution is very scalable and flexible.
Guardtime’s KSI Blockchain is an industrial grade Blockchain stack that has been underpinning governments since 2007. The Blockchain encompasses both a distributed ledger for managing ownership of digital assets as a well as a generator for cryptographic metadata that proves the properties of the underlying data without reliance on trusted third parties.
Combining PUFs and Blockchain for IOT Governance
By using PUF Technology to uniquely authenticate a device and registering that device with ownership information on a ledger, the provenance and integrity of every piece of data generated by that device can be cryptographically proven and linked back to an authenticated device with end to end chain of custody. This way the data integrity and authentication perimeter is extended all the way to the silicon chips where the data originates.
Intrinsic-ID is the world leading embedded authentication company based on the unique and patented technology called SRAM Physical Unclonable Function or SRAM PUF. Its solutions and products create a unique ID and cryptographically secure keys from the physical behavior of the SRAM PUF. This key is invisible to attackers, unique per device and can be leveraged to authenticate the chip, the data on the chip, the device and even the whole system. On top of this, Intrinsic-ID offers solutions to protect the supply chain. These range from tracking and monitoring chips and devices (even in the case of remote contract manufacturers) to low cost, simplified key provisioning and protection against counterfeiting and overbuilding. Due to its simplicity, these products can be applied to all modern chips, microcontrollers and CPUs without making a change to the hardware. Currently this technology is being used by its customers in the field to protect the most sensitive payment, content, connectivity, sensor and government data and systems.
Guardtime is the first and only platform for ensuring the integrity of data and systems at industrial scale. Guardtime created Keyless Signature Infrastructure (KSI) to take on the challenges of today’s perimeter-based security systems and secure the integrity of data in today’s increasingly digital world. Built on an industrial Blockchain, KSI signs any and all data across a system, allowing independent verification of time, integrity and identity for any moment in history. Guardtime’s mission is to build the essential backbone for truth, assurance and integrity for our digital world.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017