A Blockchain paper (available in Blockchain News Library) written by Analyst Philip Boucher from the European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS) called “What if Blockchain technology revolutionised voting? ” takes a hard look to ask is Blockchain the revolution in security and transparency that is needed to enable e-voting and, if so, what are the implications for the future of democracy?
Many experts in the past have agreed that e-voting would require revolutionary developments in security systems but today the debate has shifted – and many wonder whether Blockchain technology will represent a transformative or merely incremental development.
The Blockchain protocol is a means of logging and verifying records that is transparent and distributed among users. Usually, votes are recorded, managed, counted and checked by a central authority.
Blockchain-enabled e-voting (BEV) would empower voters to do these tasks themselves, by allowing them to hold a copy of the voting record. The historic record could then not be changed because other voters would see that the record differs from theirs.
Illegitimate votes could not be added, because other voters would be able to scrutinise whether votes were compatible with the rules (perhaps because they have already been counted, or are not associated with a valid voter record). BEV would shift power and trust away from central actors, such as electoral authorities, and foster the development of a tech-enabled community consensus.
One way of developing BEV systems for e-voting is to create a new, bespoke system, designed to reflect the specific characteristics of the election and electorate. A second approach that may be cheaper and easier is to ‘piggyback’, running the election on a more established Blockchain, such as that used by the virtual currency, bitcoin.
Given that the security of a Blockchain ledger relies upon the breadth of its user base, this piggyback approach may also be more secure for elections with a small number of voters.
Taking the concept a step further, Blockchain voting could be combined with smart contracts, to automatically take action under certain agreed conditions.
BEV would not only digitise the traditional voting process, but also proposes an alternative framework with a completely different set of values and political basis that is bottom up rather than top down.
While participation in traditional elections reinforces the authority of the state, participation in BEV asserts the primacy of the people. In this light, it is not surprising that links are drawn between BEV and transitions towards a more direct, decentralised and bottom-up democracy. As such, the extent to which blockchain technology will flourish in the area of evoting may depend upon the extent to which it can reflect the values and structure of society, politics and democracy.
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017
- Santa Claus Is Moving To Blockchain! Bye, Bye Chimney! - November 13, 2017
- Safinus Platform Wants to Unite Investors and Traders in One Place - November 13, 2017
- Exscudo Uses Multisignature Technology To Protect User Accounts - November 13, 2017
- Lykke To Support ERC20 Tokens In Latest Lykke Wallet Release - November 13, 2017
- Can Blockchain Revolutionise The Third Sector? Introducing The World’s First Recycling Intiative - November 13, 2017
- JBOX Announces Initial Coin Offering for Blockchain-Powered Decentralized Video Platform - November 13, 2017
- Perkins Coie Selected as a Founding Steward in Self-Sovereign Identity Network - November 13, 2017
- Waves Claims it Will Become the Fastest Blockchain Platform in the World - November 13, 2017
- Binary.com Announces ICO - November 13, 2017
- Finova Financial Announces The JOBS Crypto Offering (JCO): A Path To A Regulated Public Securities Offering for Non-Accredited Investors Using Cryptocurrency - November 13, 2017
- Dash Transactions Now 215 Times Cheaper Than Bitcoin After New Network Upgrade - November 13, 2017
- Tech Bureau’s mijin Opens Applications for Powerful New Enterprise Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Human Discovery Platform Launches Token Sale to Build the Largest Storage of Human Behavior Powered by Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- CarFix Will Repair Your Vehicle For A Fraction Of The Price, With Help From The Ethereum Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Neufund, Receives 10M Euro In Funding To Create ‘Equity Token’ - November 13, 2017
- Beenest Begins Decentralized Future For Short-term Housing Rentals - November 13, 2017
- CanYa Wants to Eliminate Crypto Volatility within Online Gig Economy Marketplace - November 13, 2017
- Allianz Pioneers Blockchain Prototype for the Captive Insurance Market - November 13, 2017
- Third Generation Cryptocurrency SkyCoin Aims to Shake up the Market - November 7, 2017
- DAO PlayMarket 2.0 – a New Era of Mobile Applications - November 7, 2017
- The International Scientific and Practical Association Jus Naturale – The first NGO with Blockchain-Based Membership - November 7, 2017