A Blockchain paper (available in Blockchain News Library) written by Analyst Philip Boucher from the European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS) called “What if Blockchain technology revolutionised voting? ” takes a hard look to ask is Blockchain the revolution in security and transparency that is needed to enable e-voting and, if so, what are the implications for the future of democracy?
Many experts in the past have agreed that e-voting would require revolutionary developments in security systems but today the debate has shifted – and many wonder whether Blockchain technology will represent a transformative or merely incremental development.
The Blockchain protocol is a means of logging and verifying records that is transparent and distributed among users. Usually, votes are recorded, managed, counted and checked by a central authority.
Blockchain-enabled e-voting (BEV) would empower voters to do these tasks themselves, by allowing them to hold a copy of the voting record. The historic record could then not be changed because other voters would see that the record differs from theirs.
Illegitimate votes could not be added, because other voters would be able to scrutinise whether votes were compatible with the rules (perhaps because they have already been counted, or are not associated with a valid voter record). BEV would shift power and trust away from central actors, such as electoral authorities, and foster the development of a tech-enabled community consensus.
One way of developing BEV systems for e-voting is to create a new, bespoke system, designed to reflect the specific characteristics of the election and electorate. A second approach that may be cheaper and easier is to ‘piggyback’, running the election on a more established Blockchain, such as that used by the virtual currency, bitcoin.
Given that the security of a Blockchain ledger relies upon the breadth of its user base, this piggyback approach may also be more secure for elections with a small number of voters.
Taking the concept a step further, Blockchain voting could be combined with smart contracts, to automatically take action under certain agreed conditions.
BEV would not only digitise the traditional voting process, but also proposes an alternative framework with a completely different set of values and political basis that is bottom up rather than top down.
While participation in traditional elections reinforces the authority of the state, participation in BEV asserts the primacy of the people. In this light, it is not surprising that links are drawn between BEV and transitions towards a more direct, decentralised and bottom-up democracy. As such, the extent to which blockchain technology will flourish in the area of evoting may depend upon the extent to which it can reflect the values and structure of society, politics and democracy.
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017