EdgeVerve Systems, a wholly owned product subsidiary of Infosys, Emirates NBD, the leading banking group in Middle East and ICICI Bank Limited, India’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, today announced the pilot launch of Blockchain network for international remittances and trade finance. Both, Emirates NBD and ICICI Bank run Finacle solutions suite and have leveraged the Blockchain framework to route business transaction between the two entities for remittances and trade finance business.
Emirates NBD is the First in UAE and ICICI Bank is the First Bank in India to Pilot Blockchain-based Network for International Remittances and Trade Finance.
“Blockchain technology offers unprecedented opportunities to transform banking as we know it. Like any innovative technology, the usage of Blockchain-based applications will gradually increase from early adopters to others who will join based on proven and tangible benefits. We are delighted to partner with ICICI Bank and Emirates NBD, who are innovation leaders in their respective regions. With this pilot, we are clearly a step closer to see mainstream adoption of Blockchain-based applications. We look forward to further collaborations with our clients and other banks to create a Blockchain-powered consortium in the financial services industry,” said Dr. Vishal Sikka, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, Infosys.
Using the EdgeVerve Blockchain Framework for Financial Services, the network was successfully piloted on the UAE-India remittance corridor, one of the busiest corridors for both banks. According to the World Bank, this corridor is the largest receiver of remittances with a share of close to 70 Billion USD out of the 580+ Billion USD world over.
“ICICI Bank has a rich legacy of leveraging the latest technology to bring in new paradigms in banking. Akin to pioneering new technologies in the country like software robotics, mobility and near-field communication among others, I am delighted that we are the first bank in India and among few globally to set up a Blockchain application. We have also marked a milestone bommon working standards to contribute to the commercial adoption of this initiative,” remarked Ms. Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, ICICI Bank.
With this, Emirates NBD became the first bank in UAE and ICICI Bank, the first bank in India, to pilot a Blockchain-based network for financial services. The exercise was started eight weeks ago and additional use cases are being explored for the pilot. Both financial institutions have started the process towards a network consortium for further participation by interested member banks to expand the transaction network.
“Our pilot project with Infosys Finance and ICICI bank, a first for the banking sector in the UAE, demonstrates Blockchain’s immense potential to change how organizations and governments conduct business. We look forward to further collaboration with the public sector and our private peers to further adoption of this technology in the UAE,” added His Highness Shaikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Emirates NBD.
Considering its strong presence in the financial industry through Finacle suite of solutions, Emirates NBD and ICICI Bank chose to partner with EdgeVerve for the pilot. This framework is a permissioned asset-agnostic ledger, designed specifically for the banking sector. Blockchain-based applications built on this framework, can deliver enhanced automation across inter-organizational processes, transactional security and accuracy at a significantly lower cost.
- With the Blockchain network in place, both banks expect automation of inter-bank processes through smart contracts, secure digital exchange of documents and real-time monitoring of positions through integrated dashboards. Consequently, this will lead to significant cost savings for the business
- As part of this pilot, remittances, trade finance purchase order and invoice financing processes were executed on the Blockchain network. It achieved a near real-time transfer of invoices and purchase orders in a transparent and secure manner
- The Blockchain network has also been integrated with the Finacle Universal Banking Suite and other host systems within the application ecosystem in both banks
- The network model has been designed to be least disruptive to existing systems and processes in banks. This reduces complexity as it allows banks to seamlessly plug in their systems and processes to work with Blockchain powered networks
EdgeVerve Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Infosys, develops innovative software products and offers them on-premise or as cloud-hosted business platforms. Our products help businesses develop deeper connections with stakeholders, power continuous innovation and accelerate growth in the digital world. We power our clients’ growth in rapidly evolving areas like banking, digital marketing, interactive commerce, distributive trade, credit servicing, customer service and enterprise buying.
Today EdgeVerve products are used by global corporations across financial services, insurance, retail and CPG, life sciences, manufacturing, and telecom. Finacle, our universal banking solution, is the choice of financial institutions across 84 countries and serves over 547 million customers – nearly 16.5 percent of the world’s adult banked population.
To know more, visit http://www.edgeverve.com
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017
- Ledger Raises $7m To Accelerate Worldwide Adoption Of Security Solutions For Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Applications - March 31, 2017
- Slock.it secures $2 million seed funding to build Sharing Economy Platform - March 31, 2017
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017