EdgeVerve Systems, a wholly owned product subsidiary of Infosys, Emirates NBD, the leading banking group in Middle East and ICICI Bank Limited, India’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, today announced the pilot launch of Blockchain network for international remittances and trade finance. Both, Emirates NBD and ICICI Bank run Finacle solutions suite and have leveraged the Blockchain framework to route business transaction between the two entities for remittances and trade finance business.
Emirates NBD is the First in UAE and ICICI Bank is the First Bank in India to Pilot Blockchain-based Network for International Remittances and Trade Finance.
“Blockchain technology offers unprecedented opportunities to transform banking as we know it. Like any innovative technology, the usage of Blockchain-based applications will gradually increase from early adopters to others who will join based on proven and tangible benefits. We are delighted to partner with ICICI Bank and Emirates NBD, who are innovation leaders in their respective regions. With this pilot, we are clearly a step closer to see mainstream adoption of Blockchain-based applications. We look forward to further collaborations with our clients and other banks to create a Blockchain-powered consortium in the financial services industry,” said Dr. Vishal Sikka, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, Infosys.
Using the EdgeVerve Blockchain Framework for Financial Services, the network was successfully piloted on the UAE-India remittance corridor, one of the busiest corridors for both banks. According to the World Bank, this corridor is the largest receiver of remittances with a share of close to 70 Billion USD out of the 580+ Billion USD world over.
“ICICI Bank has a rich legacy of leveraging the latest technology to bring in new paradigms in banking. Akin to pioneering new technologies in the country like software robotics, mobility and near-field communication among others, I am delighted that we are the first bank in India and among few globally to set up a Blockchain application. We have also marked a milestone bommon working standards to contribute to the commercial adoption of this initiative,” remarked Ms. Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, ICICI Bank.
With this, Emirates NBD became the first bank in UAE and ICICI Bank, the first bank in India, to pilot a Blockchain-based network for financial services. The exercise was started eight weeks ago and additional use cases are being explored for the pilot. Both financial institutions have started the process towards a network consortium for further participation by interested member banks to expand the transaction network.
“Our pilot project with Infosys Finance and ICICI bank, a first for the banking sector in the UAE, demonstrates Blockchain’s immense potential to change how organizations and governments conduct business. We look forward to further collaboration with the public sector and our private peers to further adoption of this technology in the UAE,” added His Highness Shaikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Emirates NBD.
Considering its strong presence in the financial industry through Finacle suite of solutions, Emirates NBD and ICICI Bank chose to partner with EdgeVerve for the pilot. This framework is a permissioned asset-agnostic ledger, designed specifically for the banking sector. Blockchain-based applications built on this framework, can deliver enhanced automation across inter-organizational processes, transactional security and accuracy at a significantly lower cost.
- With the Blockchain network in place, both banks expect automation of inter-bank processes through smart contracts, secure digital exchange of documents and real-time monitoring of positions through integrated dashboards. Consequently, this will lead to significant cost savings for the business
- As part of this pilot, remittances, trade finance purchase order and invoice financing processes were executed on the Blockchain network. It achieved a near real-time transfer of invoices and purchase orders in a transparent and secure manner
- The Blockchain network has also been integrated with the Finacle Universal Banking Suite and other host systems within the application ecosystem in both banks
- The network model has been designed to be least disruptive to existing systems and processes in banks. This reduces complexity as it allows banks to seamlessly plug in their systems and processes to work with Blockchain powered networks
EdgeVerve Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Infosys, develops innovative software products and offers them on-premise or as cloud-hosted business platforms. Our products help businesses develop deeper connections with stakeholders, power continuous innovation and accelerate growth in the digital world. We power our clients’ growth in rapidly evolving areas like banking, digital marketing, interactive commerce, distributive trade, credit servicing, customer service and enterprise buying.
Today EdgeVerve products are used by global corporations across financial services, insurance, retail and CPG, life sciences, manufacturing, and telecom. Finacle, our universal banking solution, is the choice of financial institutions across 84 countries and serves over 547 million customers – nearly 16.5 percent of the world’s adult banked population.
To know more, visit http://www.edgeverve.com
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Announces ICO - February 1, 2017
- SibCoin – the Cryptocurrency Conquered Siberia and Outsailed Dash - February 1, 2017