After a full weekend and 48 intense hours of collaboration, excitement and solution-finding, the best idea according to a jury of industry experts was a project called EcoCoin at Hackenergy 2016.
The hackathon was sponsored by ENGIE Nederland, Energy Academy Europe, the City and Province of Groningen – and backed by Groningen’s IBM Client Innovation Center (CIC).
“It was a great event, bringing the energy transition where it belongs: with people who want to work on our future, and a great way to connect knowledge, innovation and business. We look forward to welcoming new energy business ventures and to hosting a following edition!” stated Maurits Alberda, Manager Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Energy Academy Europe.
Brendon Geils (USA), Simon Appel (Germany) and Hodge Hodgson (Germany) – the three hackers from the winning team, built a Blockchain-fueled peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading system on the open source Hyperledger Blockchain managed by the Linux Foundation of which IBM is a significant partner.
Similar to other projects that have been worked on for over a year, such as the Transactive Grid being built by LO3 Energy and ConsenSys in the USA, EcoCoin was constructed in 25 hours as the team spent the first day brainstorming and formulating the idea.
“The first night we spent the entire night brainstorming then by 11am the next day we conceived the idea,” said Brendon Geils, one of the hackers. “At that point we had 25 hours left to hack – and we did it in the next 25 hours.”
“The use cases are various,” stated Hodge Hodgson, “One is that we can bring individual producers and consumers of energy, whether that be solar or be that from combined heat and power or whatever source together and the other one is that we can whitelabel the tool for intermediaries like the utilities in order to have their foot in the door and keep customer retention.”
It was unsure at press time if the team would take the 5000 euro cash prize or alternatively opt to enter the startup accelerator programme called Energy Venture Lab/Startup Fast Track, backed by energy multinational ENGIE, Groningen University/VentureLab North, Hanze UAS and the Province of Groningen.
But they do plan to attend Ultrahack 2016 in Helsinki in November – an international hackathon league with winners from more than a dozen other hackathons in Europe competing for a share of over one million euro in investment funds. This was arranged by Hacked in Groningen Hackathon League in partnership with Futuretournaments Oy in Finland and the Ecocoin team will receive a 1000 euro grant for travel, accommodation as well as tickets to attend the Slush festival after Ultrahack – one of the largest tech events in the Nordics.
Richard Kastelein, from Stichting Hackitarians who organised the event said that Ecocoin’s project was amazing and deserved to win as they really had a working prototype at the end of the event.
“There is a lot of fresh innovation being done in the area around peer to peer energy trading, Blockchain, AI and Iot,” stated Kastelein. “And these digital nomads really grabbed onto the concept, ran with it and nailed it.”
Hackers from Germany, Spain, USA, UK and the Netherlands attended the event, held in Groningen, an Hanseatic student city in the Northern Netherlands and there were nine presentations in total at the end of the event.
Best Design was won by Hack the Truck, Best Technology was won by Joris and Best Commercial Concept was won by UU-IoT with their James Project – and all received 400 euro in cash prizes for their work.
H4ckenergy 2016 brought together the challenges faced by the world in the transition of energy with the people who have the passion and ability to solve them. Participants gathered for 48 hours to engage in a energy-related problem solving pressure cooker and workshop.
The event was held at the Energy Barn on the Hanzehogeschool campus at the Energy Transition Centre (EnTranCe) and sponsored by ENGIE Nederland, Energy Academy Europe, Gemeente Groningen and the Province of Groningen, H4ckenergy was fueled by IBM and organised by Stichting Hackitarians (foundation) and part of the Hacked in Groningen hackathon league.
- IOHK and University of Edinburgh Establish Blockchain Technology Laboratory - February 24, 2017
- Liberland to Launch Online Startup Contest to Kick Off Smart Nation - February 23, 2017
- Blockchain Intelligence Group Launches QLUE Version Codename Deep Cove - February 23, 2017
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017