In yesterday’s meeting of The Chinese Blockchain Technology and Industrial Development Forum, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Software Services Secretary, Xie Shaofeng, said the Blockchain has brought new opportunities and challenges in the future to the software and information technology industries, according to Chinese media reports.
At the same time, a new paper was officially released called the “China Blockchain technology development and application of the White Paper” (2016 edition).
The Whitepaper has been in editing since early August. Multiple companies and institutions who have been committed to the development of the Blockchain Technology took part in the forum, including the Chinese Digital Technology Standardization Research Institution, Alibaba’s Ant Finance, Wanxiang Group, WeBank, Ping’an Insurance (also in R3), Wanda Finance, Onchain Solution and many others.
The Whitepaper highlights the status quo and future trend of the technology, analyzing finance, supply-chain, entertainment, smart manufacturing, social welfare, education and employment and many other application scenarios. It points out that the core path and standardization direction in the future.
Bitkan in China reports in more detail:
Finance is the Hot Spot
Financial sector is defined as the first application for Blockchain Technologies, including detailed scenarios like payment, asset management, securities, clearing & settlement and user ID.
Payment sector sees the greatest number of pain points. Cross-border inter-institutional netting, clearing and settlement always carry a tremendous amount of cost and manual interference. User-end and back-office payment expenditure remains high and causes trouble for small-amount payment services.
Once the blockchain technology is introduced, inter-institutional netting and conflict-settlement costs will be minimized and the efficiency improved. Moreover, lower costs and improved efficiency will force financial players to realize small-amount cross-border payment.
Multiple custodians dominate the asset management sector by overseeing stock equities, bonds, vouchers and so on. The sector is haunted by high cost and falsification risks. The Whitepaper points out that these assets can be integrated onchain, hence causing a disintermediation processs to allow asset holders directly transact with each other. Industrial infrastructure will function as the custodians, ensuring asset authenticity and compliance and as the bridge between custodian repositories and distributed ledgers. Distributed ledger platforms may access repository’s trusted assets securely.
For the security sector, the Whitepaper defines financial asset transactions as a contract among parties based on set rules. The blockchain is capable of fully expressing these business logics with CODES, such as fixed-income instruments, repos, swaps and syndicated loans. An automatic contract implementation can be guaranteed and visible only to counterparites involved.
Clearing & Settlement is the perfect breakthrough point for Blockchain Technology. Currently, different infrastructure frameworks, business processes and manual netting processes are all causing high costs and failure chances. The core character of the Blockchain Technology is that it simultaneously realizes value transfer without a trusted third party.
The Whitepaper considers two important aspects of financial transactions: payment and securities. Via blockchain and the creation of a digitized fiat currency / some sort of settlement instrument, the aforementioned onchain asset pairings can be cleared and settled in real time in a P2P fashion, significantly reducing the cost of value transfers and resulting in much shorter time for clearing and settlement.
Moreover, supply chain logistics and retro-anticounterfeiting, IP protection in the entertainment sector, information integration and interoperability in the smart manufacturing sector, transparency and publication in the charity sector…are all considered major pain points that are waiting for the Blockchain Technology to save the day.
The Path towards Technology Standardization
Though the development of blockchain technology is bourgeoning, a proper standardization is missing. Standardization is a must for all technologies for it reduces cost and improves efficiency for corporate commercialization, and enhances the security. More importantly, it is a crucial base for the government to make policies and implement regulation.
The international standardization of the Blockchain Technology is at its preliminary stage. Whether or not China can play an important role in the process and increase her influence will be largely dependent on early planning and swift responses.
The Whitepaper hence emphasizes on the standardization, and points the path towards it. It identifies the standard into 5 categories: the Basics, the Process and the Methodology, the Trust and Operability, the Business and Application, the Information Security. The implementation solution will set the system building at its core, and comprises of 4 steps: System Pre-Research, Standard Research, Trial and Promotion and System Improvement. Based on the timetable, the last step will commence no later than Oct. 2017.
The Whitepaper further argued for future preferential policy making for the blockchain technology. The relevant policies will support the major technological research, exemplary projects, entrepreneurship & innovation platform building, system solution R&D and public service platform building.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017