In yesterday’s meeting of The Chinese Blockchain Technology and Industrial Development Forum, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Software Services Secretary, Xie Shaofeng, said the Blockchain has brought new opportunities and challenges in the future to the software and information technology industries, according to Chinese media reports.
At the same time, a new paper was officially released called the “China Blockchain technology development and application of the White Paper” (2016 edition).
The Whitepaper has been in editing since early August. Multiple companies and institutions who have been committed to the development of the Blockchain Technology took part in the forum, including the Chinese Digital Technology Standardization Research Institution, Alibaba’s Ant Finance, Wanxiang Group, WeBank, Ping’an Insurance (also in R3), Wanda Finance, Onchain Solution and many others.
The Whitepaper highlights the status quo and future trend of the technology, analyzing finance, supply-chain, entertainment, smart manufacturing, social welfare, education and employment and many other application scenarios. It points out that the core path and standardization direction in the future.
Bitkan in China reports in more detail:
Finance is the Hot Spot
Financial sector is defined as the first application for Blockchain Technologies, including detailed scenarios like payment, asset management, securities, clearing & settlement and user ID.
Payment sector sees the greatest number of pain points. Cross-border inter-institutional netting, clearing and settlement always carry a tremendous amount of cost and manual interference. User-end and back-office payment expenditure remains high and causes trouble for small-amount payment services.
Once the blockchain technology is introduced, inter-institutional netting and conflict-settlement costs will be minimized and the efficiency improved. Moreover, lower costs and improved efficiency will force financial players to realize small-amount cross-border payment.
Multiple custodians dominate the asset management sector by overseeing stock equities, bonds, vouchers and so on. The sector is haunted by high cost and falsification risks. The Whitepaper points out that these assets can be integrated onchain, hence causing a disintermediation processs to allow asset holders directly transact with each other. Industrial infrastructure will function as the custodians, ensuring asset authenticity and compliance and as the bridge between custodian repositories and distributed ledgers. Distributed ledger platforms may access repository’s trusted assets securely.
For the security sector, the Whitepaper defines financial asset transactions as a contract among parties based on set rules. The blockchain is capable of fully expressing these business logics with CODES, such as fixed-income instruments, repos, swaps and syndicated loans. An automatic contract implementation can be guaranteed and visible only to counterparites involved.
Clearing & Settlement is the perfect breakthrough point for Blockchain Technology. Currently, different infrastructure frameworks, business processes and manual netting processes are all causing high costs and failure chances. The core character of the Blockchain Technology is that it simultaneously realizes value transfer without a trusted third party.
The Whitepaper considers two important aspects of financial transactions: payment and securities. Via blockchain and the creation of a digitized fiat currency / some sort of settlement instrument, the aforementioned onchain asset pairings can be cleared and settled in real time in a P2P fashion, significantly reducing the cost of value transfers and resulting in much shorter time for clearing and settlement.
Moreover, supply chain logistics and retro-anticounterfeiting, IP protection in the entertainment sector, information integration and interoperability in the smart manufacturing sector, transparency and publication in the charity sector…are all considered major pain points that are waiting for the Blockchain Technology to save the day.
The Path towards Technology Standardization
Though the development of blockchain technology is bourgeoning, a proper standardization is missing. Standardization is a must for all technologies for it reduces cost and improves efficiency for corporate commercialization, and enhances the security. More importantly, it is a crucial base for the government to make policies and implement regulation.
The international standardization of the Blockchain Technology is at its preliminary stage. Whether or not China can play an important role in the process and increase her influence will be largely dependent on early planning and swift responses.
The Whitepaper hence emphasizes on the standardization, and points the path towards it. It identifies the standard into 5 categories: the Basics, the Process and the Methodology, the Trust and Operability, the Business and Application, the Information Security. The implementation solution will set the system building at its core, and comprises of 4 steps: System Pre-Research, Standard Research, Trial and Promotion and System Improvement. Based on the timetable, the last step will commence no later than Oct. 2017.
The Whitepaper further argued for future preferential policy making for the blockchain technology. The relevant policies will support the major technological research, exemplary projects, entrepreneurship & innovation platform building, system solution R&D and public service platform building.
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017
- Ledger Raises $7m To Accelerate Worldwide Adoption Of Security Solutions For Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Applications - March 31, 2017
- Slock.it secures $2 million seed funding to build Sharing Economy Platform - March 31, 2017
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017
- Beijing Officials Demand Chinese Blockchain Standards - March 30, 2017
- Spanish Bank BBVA joins Hyperledger Project - March 30, 2017
- Alibaba to Tackle Counterfeit Food in China With Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- Cosmos Announces Upcoming Token Sale to Build Internet of Blockchains - March 29, 2017
- Blockchain Technologies Corp. Speaks Before Maine State Legislature Committee on Blockchain Voting - March 29, 2017