In yesterday’s meeting of The Chinese Blockchain Technology and Industrial Development Forum, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Software Services Secretary, Xie Shaofeng, said the Blockchain has brought new opportunities and challenges in the future to the software and information technology industries, according to Chinese media reports.
At the same time, a new paper was officially released called the “China Blockchain technology development and application of the White Paper” (2016 edition).
The Whitepaper has been in editing since early August. Multiple companies and institutions who have been committed to the development of the Blockchain Technology took part in the forum, including the Chinese Digital Technology Standardization Research Institution, Alibaba’s Ant Finance, Wanxiang Group, WeBank, Ping’an Insurance (also in R3), Wanda Finance, Onchain Solution and many others.
The Whitepaper highlights the status quo and future trend of the technology, analyzing finance, supply-chain, entertainment, smart manufacturing, social welfare, education and employment and many other application scenarios. It points out that the core path and standardization direction in the future.
Bitkan in China reports in more detail:
Finance is the Hot Spot
Financial sector is defined as the first application for Blockchain Technologies, including detailed scenarios like payment, asset management, securities, clearing & settlement and user ID.
Payment sector sees the greatest number of pain points. Cross-border inter-institutional netting, clearing and settlement always carry a tremendous amount of cost and manual interference. User-end and back-office payment expenditure remains high and causes trouble for small-amount payment services.
Once the blockchain technology is introduced, inter-institutional netting and conflict-settlement costs will be minimized and the efficiency improved. Moreover, lower costs and improved efficiency will force financial players to realize small-amount cross-border payment.
Multiple custodians dominate the asset management sector by overseeing stock equities, bonds, vouchers and so on. The sector is haunted by high cost and falsification risks. The Whitepaper points out that these assets can be integrated onchain, hence causing a disintermediation processs to allow asset holders directly transact with each other. Industrial infrastructure will function as the custodians, ensuring asset authenticity and compliance and as the bridge between custodian repositories and distributed ledgers. Distributed ledger platforms may access repository’s trusted assets securely.
For the security sector, the Whitepaper defines financial asset transactions as a contract among parties based on set rules. The blockchain is capable of fully expressing these business logics with CODES, such as fixed-income instruments, repos, swaps and syndicated loans. An automatic contract implementation can be guaranteed and visible only to counterparites involved.
Clearing & Settlement is the perfect breakthrough point for Blockchain Technology. Currently, different infrastructure frameworks, business processes and manual netting processes are all causing high costs and failure chances. The core character of the Blockchain Technology is that it simultaneously realizes value transfer without a trusted third party.
The Whitepaper considers two important aspects of financial transactions: payment and securities. Via blockchain and the creation of a digitized fiat currency / some sort of settlement instrument, the aforementioned onchain asset pairings can be cleared and settled in real time in a P2P fashion, significantly reducing the cost of value transfers and resulting in much shorter time for clearing and settlement.
Moreover, supply chain logistics and retro-anticounterfeiting, IP protection in the entertainment sector, information integration and interoperability in the smart manufacturing sector, transparency and publication in the charity sector…are all considered major pain points that are waiting for the Blockchain Technology to save the day.
The Path towards Technology Standardization
Though the development of blockchain technology is bourgeoning, a proper standardization is missing. Standardization is a must for all technologies for it reduces cost and improves efficiency for corporate commercialization, and enhances the security. More importantly, it is a crucial base for the government to make policies and implement regulation.
The international standardization of the Blockchain Technology is at its preliminary stage. Whether or not China can play an important role in the process and increase her influence will be largely dependent on early planning and swift responses.
The Whitepaper hence emphasizes on the standardization, and points the path towards it. It identifies the standard into 5 categories: the Basics, the Process and the Methodology, the Trust and Operability, the Business and Application, the Information Security. The implementation solution will set the system building at its core, and comprises of 4 steps: System Pre-Research, Standard Research, Trial and Promotion and System Improvement. Based on the timetable, the last step will commence no later than Oct. 2017.
The Whitepaper further argued for future preferential policy making for the blockchain technology. The relevant policies will support the major technological research, exemplary projects, entrepreneurship & innovation platform building, system solution R&D and public service platform building.
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017
- South Korea’s BOScoin announces ICO May 10th, 2017 - May 6, 2017
- ICO Token Raises Blow Past VC for Blockchain Investment in last 12 Months - May 6, 2017
- Wipro Joins Enterprise Ethereum Alliance to Develop Enterprise-Grade Blockchain Solutions - May 6, 2017
- European Central Bank Eyes Blockchain Regulation - May 6, 2017