Synereo, which is developing a decentralised tech stack, allowing web applications to exist without centralised servers, has raised over $4.7m (£3.85m) from a funding campaign last week, selling both equity and, their cryptocurrency AMP.
Synereo was initially known for its attempt to create a decentralized social network, but after spending years developing a decentralized social media solution on the basis of existing blockchain technologies, the company announced lately that it had widened its operations considerably in order to develop its own blockchain enabled decentralized computation platform, capable of running all forms of decentralized applications, the company’s social network being one such application.
With this move, Synereo placed itself in the forefront of the heated race towards a so called “World Computer” – a network of personal devices, functioning as a unitary virtual machine, rendering central servers and data centers redundant. This idea was initially proposed by the Ethereum foundation, and has since attracted several additional teams, providing little to no deviance from the original make-up. Synereo’s proposal is the first to introduce a significant improvement to the industry standard, offering a complete tech-stack – incorporating all faculties needed to support decentralized computation without central servers.
The recently concluded funding campaign was launched shortly after Synereo announced its Blockchain 2.0 architecture, called RChain, which lies at the core of Synereo’s evolved tech stack. Synereo stated that funds raised during the campaign would be used to expand its team significantly, ensuring that its RChain-based technology stack can go live towards the end of 2017.
According to Synereo, RChain solves well known problems of existing blockchains, enabling decentralized systems to be much faster, infinitely scalable and cheaper to maintain. In addition to that, and contrary to existing turing-complete blockchain solutions, Synereo’s platform comes with its own distributed cloud storage, allowing for efficient decentralized hosting of heavy media, as well as a reflective smart-contracting language. With this, Synereo hopes to be the first project to truly disrupt the traditional role of centralized servers.
In order to populate its platform, and to ensure fast growth and adaptation, Synereo has recently announced a sizeable grant project, inviting developers and entrepreneurs to develop decentralized applications for its platform, to foster the development of a decentralized ecosystem, competing with the current centralized paradigm.
In a major endorsement of Synereo’s technology, the Silicon Valley-based NFX Guild, partnered up with Synereo, and announced that it will include a selected few laureates of Synereo’s grant project in its prestigious Accelerator Program. James Currier, Managing Partner at NFX, explained the Guild’s decision to choose Synereo’s technology for the project, stating:
“If you do the analysis, Synereo comes out as the superior platform for developing decentralized apps. It runs fully distributed instead of massively replicated. It’s JVM top to bottom rather than Python. It’s forward compatible, vs other platforms anticipating multiple hard- forks. Synereo has the identity layer built in which provides distribution advantages and network effects. Lastly, fine-grained concurrency, vs other platforms’ linearity, provides greater speeds and scalability”
Since Synereo first announced its grant project, the company has received hundreds of applications of teams, eager to develop their applications on top of Synereo’s platform. Dor Konforty, Synereo’s CEO comments:
“We are now in the final stage of interviews, and will soon be selecting the first projects that will receive AMP grants to build on Synereo’s tech stack. We have 300 applications and it has taken our team a while to go through them and to choose from many amazing development teams and projects. Overall we are very excited at the level of interest to build the future of the decentralized internet with Synereo”
Synereo is now significantly scaling up its operations, and expanding the company’s team to refine the developer tools needed to build on its platform, and optimize the development effort of Synereo’s 2.0 tech stack. The company is actively hiring, and states on its blog that:
If you have the relevant experience, and are familiar with Scala, Blockchain technology, smart-contracting languages and decentralized computation in general, and are eager to work with a highly motivated and determined team, we invite you to visit our Job-Offering Page, and apply to one of the open positions.
According to Synereo’s development plan, the company’s anticipated RChain-based architecture will be up and running towards the end of 2017, ready to host Synereo’s social network beta shortly afterwards. In the meantime, Synereo is further developing the alpha version of its social network, and invites the public to install its alpha nodes and participate in the test phase of the network. Instructions on how to do that can be found on the company’s Github account, Youtube channel and slack.
Synereo is a Tel-Aviv based company that develops a decentralized tech stack, allowing web applications to exist without centralized servers.
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund Dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Adds International Banking and Marketing Experts as Advisors - March 2, 2017
- Kraken Acquires Cryptowatch and Launches New Trading Platform - March 1, 2017
- Switzerland’s Crypto Valley Association Founded To Build World’s Leading Blockchain and Cryptographic Ecosystem - March 1, 2017
- Massive Launch by Blockchain Industry for New Enterprise Ethereum Alliance - March 1, 2017
- Monax Joins Hyperledger Project, Brings Ethereum Technology - February 28, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – No Internet, No Mobile Phone, No Computer. No Problem. - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Banking Consortium R3 Gets Into Semantic Tornado Over Blockchain – Bitcoiners Jeer from Sidelines - February 25, 2017