Australian Blockchain Startup Power Ledger has just wound up one short-term trial in Perth and now will start on the second as the startup works towards delivering a proof of concept for the software solution both to prosumers and utilities.
Power Ledger is currently applying its Blockchain-based software in an attempt to open up peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading behind the meter and across the network.
According to an article written by Jonathan Gifford in ReNeweconomy the regulatory hurdles in Australia might slow the rollout of genuine P2P electricity trading and it won’t be straightforward and building a track record for Blockchain applications in energy will take some time.
“I think that consumers want to become ‘prosumers’ and become citizen utilities and that this is a technology that will enable them to do that,” Jemma Green, co-founder and chair of Perth-based Power Ledger told ReNewEconomy.
Green herself is a prominent West Australian cleantech evangelist and as a former banker, is familiar with the importance of an efficient and trusted trading platform.
Beyond Zero Emissions talks to Jemma Green
- Co-founder and Chair of Perth start-up Power Ledger,
- A managing director at a disruptive innovation consultancy: The Green Enterprise,
- A research fellow and PhD candidate at Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute (CUSP),
- A City of Perth Councillor – and so experienced in the challenges of sustainable cities development,
- She has over 15 years experience in finance and risk management including 11 years in investment banking in London.
- For more detail see The Conversation
To trade electricity utilizing the Blockchain, communication hardware must be fitted to a standard digital electricity meter that will keep track of electricity being generated, imported or exported. This is then converted into Blockchain tokens, which are allocated to various accounts within the network – consumers, producers, and prosumers – as trading takes place between the parties.
The Blockchain tokens can then be monetized, either into a standard currency like Australian dollars, or Bitcoins themselves.
By deploying the Blockchain in this way, a “cross-referenced and time-specific database” of transactions is generated and stored in the cloud. This database cannot be altered, delivering the trust between the trading parties required to underpin the system.
The system tracks the electrons either fed into or taken off the grid through the principal that they will always seek the path of least resistance.
Power Ledger hopes to generate revenue through licensing its P2P electricity trading business model and its software by taking a small clip on the ticket for each kWh of production to be sold.
Power Ledger is not the only company doing Blockchain trials for peer to peer energy trading – TransActive Grid, a joint venture between LO3 Energy and ConsenSys, is also pursuing the technology in Brooklyn NYC and Austria’s Grid Singularity is the major European developer applying the Blockchain to the energy space.
- Bitcoin-inspired peer-to-peer solar trading trial kicks off in Perth
(Renew Economy: 12 Aug 2016: S Vorrath)
- Perth blockchain power trading startup takes Auckland
(Australian Financial Review: 31 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- ‘First’ Aussie blockchain uses much less energy
(Australian Financial Review: 17 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- World-first trial lets WA residents sell their own excess solar power
(WA Today: 15 Aug 2016: Emma Young)
- How to get the best value for money out of the coming home battery boom
(The Conversation, Jemma Green & Peter Newman)
- Everex Announces Mobile Blockchain-powered Microfinance And Fiat Transfer Platform - May 28, 2017
- $3.7 Million Collected in ICO on the Waves Blockchain Platform for Construction of Production Facility in Russia - May 28, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Aeternity to Launch Phase Two of Contribution Campaign on May 29th, 2017 - May 28, 2017
- Founder and CEO of eToro, Yoni Assia, Joins Bancor Protocol Advisory Board - May 25, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Exscudo Rolls Out EON Source Code On GitHub - May 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017