Australian Blockchain Startup Power Ledger has just wound up one short-term trial in Perth and now will start on the second as the startup works towards delivering a proof of concept for the software solution both to prosumers and utilities.
Power Ledger is currently applying its Blockchain-based software in an attempt to open up peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading behind the meter and across the network.
According to an article written by Jonathan Gifford in ReNeweconomy the regulatory hurdles in Australia might slow the rollout of genuine P2P electricity trading and it won’t be straightforward and building a track record for Blockchain applications in energy will take some time.
“I think that consumers want to become ‘prosumers’ and become citizen utilities and that this is a technology that will enable them to do that,” Jemma Green, co-founder and chair of Perth-based Power Ledger told ReNewEconomy.
Green herself is a prominent West Australian cleantech evangelist and as a former banker, is familiar with the importance of an efficient and trusted trading platform.
Beyond Zero Emissions talks to Jemma Green
- Co-founder and Chair of Perth start-up Power Ledger,
- A managing director at a disruptive innovation consultancy: The Green Enterprise,
- A research fellow and PhD candidate at Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute (CUSP),
- A City of Perth Councillor – and so experienced in the challenges of sustainable cities development,
- She has over 15 years experience in finance and risk management including 11 years in investment banking in London.
- For more detail see The Conversation
To trade electricity utilizing the Blockchain, communication hardware must be fitted to a standard digital electricity meter that will keep track of electricity being generated, imported or exported. This is then converted into Blockchain tokens, which are allocated to various accounts within the network – consumers, producers, and prosumers – as trading takes place between the parties.
The Blockchain tokens can then be monetized, either into a standard currency like Australian dollars, or Bitcoins themselves.
By deploying the Blockchain in this way, a “cross-referenced and time-specific database” of transactions is generated and stored in the cloud. This database cannot be altered, delivering the trust between the trading parties required to underpin the system.
The system tracks the electrons either fed into or taken off the grid through the principal that they will always seek the path of least resistance.
Power Ledger hopes to generate revenue through licensing its P2P electricity trading business model and its software by taking a small clip on the ticket for each kWh of production to be sold.
Power Ledger is not the only company doing Blockchain trials for peer to peer energy trading – TransActive Grid, a joint venture between LO3 Energy and ConsenSys, is also pursuing the technology in Brooklyn NYC and Austria’s Grid Singularity is the major European developer applying the Blockchain to the energy space.
- Bitcoin-inspired peer-to-peer solar trading trial kicks off in Perth
(Renew Economy: 12 Aug 2016: S Vorrath)
- Perth blockchain power trading startup takes Auckland
(Australian Financial Review: 31 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- ‘First’ Aussie blockchain uses much less energy
(Australian Financial Review: 17 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- World-first trial lets WA residents sell their own excess solar power
(WA Today: 15 Aug 2016: Emma Young)
- How to get the best value for money out of the coming home battery boom
(The Conversation, Jemma Green & Peter Newman)
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017
- TaaS, the First Fully Transparent Closed End Fund dedicated to Blockchain Assets, Announces ICO - February 1, 2017