Australian Blockchain Startup Power Ledger has just wound up one short-term trial in Perth and now will start on the second as the startup works towards delivering a proof of concept for the software solution both to prosumers and utilities.
Power Ledger is currently applying its Blockchain-based software in an attempt to open up peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading behind the meter and across the network.
According to an article written by Jonathan Gifford in ReNeweconomy the regulatory hurdles in Australia might slow the rollout of genuine P2P electricity trading and it won’t be straightforward and building a track record for Blockchain applications in energy will take some time.
“I think that consumers want to become ‘prosumers’ and become citizen utilities and that this is a technology that will enable them to do that,” Jemma Green, co-founder and chair of Perth-based Power Ledger told ReNewEconomy.
Green herself is a prominent West Australian cleantech evangelist and as a former banker, is familiar with the importance of an efficient and trusted trading platform.
Beyond Zero Emissions talks to Jemma Green
- Co-founder and Chair of Perth start-up Power Ledger,
- A managing director at a disruptive innovation consultancy: The Green Enterprise,
- A research fellow and PhD candidate at Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute (CUSP),
- A City of Perth Councillor – and so experienced in the challenges of sustainable cities development,
- She has over 15 years experience in finance and risk management including 11 years in investment banking in London.
- For more detail see The Conversation
To trade electricity utilizing the Blockchain, communication hardware must be fitted to a standard digital electricity meter that will keep track of electricity being generated, imported or exported. This is then converted into Blockchain tokens, which are allocated to various accounts within the network – consumers, producers, and prosumers – as trading takes place between the parties.
The Blockchain tokens can then be monetized, either into a standard currency like Australian dollars, or Bitcoins themselves.
By deploying the Blockchain in this way, a “cross-referenced and time-specific database” of transactions is generated and stored in the cloud. This database cannot be altered, delivering the trust between the trading parties required to underpin the system.
The system tracks the electrons either fed into or taken off the grid through the principal that they will always seek the path of least resistance.
Power Ledger hopes to generate revenue through licensing its P2P electricity trading business model and its software by taking a small clip on the ticket for each kWh of production to be sold.
Power Ledger is not the only company doing Blockchain trials for peer to peer energy trading – TransActive Grid, a joint venture between LO3 Energy and ConsenSys, is also pursuing the technology in Brooklyn NYC and Austria’s Grid Singularity is the major European developer applying the Blockchain to the energy space.
- Bitcoin-inspired peer-to-peer solar trading trial kicks off in Perth
(Renew Economy: 12 Aug 2016: S Vorrath)
- Perth blockchain power trading startup takes Auckland
(Australian Financial Review: 31 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- ‘First’ Aussie blockchain uses much less energy
(Australian Financial Review: 17 Aug 2016: Paywall)
- World-first trial lets WA residents sell their own excess solar power
(WA Today: 15 Aug 2016: Emma Young)
- How to get the best value for money out of the coming home battery boom
(The Conversation, Jemma Green & Peter Newman)
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017
- Ledger Raises $7m To Accelerate Worldwide Adoption Of Security Solutions For Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Applications - March 31, 2017
- Slock.it secures $2 million seed funding to build Sharing Economy Platform - March 31, 2017
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017
- Beijing Officials Demand Chinese Blockchain Standards - March 30, 2017
- Spanish Bank BBVA joins Hyperledger Project - March 30, 2017
- Alibaba to Tackle Counterfeit Food in China With Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- Cosmos Announces Upcoming Token Sale to Build Internet of Blockchains - March 29, 2017
- Blockchain Technologies Corp. Speaks Before Maine State Legislature Committee on Blockchain Voting - March 29, 2017