Hyperledger has just announced a new project called, Iroha which will provide a more friendly development environment where C++, web, and mobile application developers can more easily contribute to the Hyperledger Blockchain Project.
Originally developed by Hyperledger member company, Soramitsu, Iroha was inspired by the Fabric architecture and aims to provide a development environment where C++, web, and mobile application developers can contribute to the Hyperledger Project.
What is Iroha?
Iroha seeks to complement Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, and other potential projects, by creating reusable components in C++ that can be called from languages such as Go. In this way, Iroha is additive to existing projects and the long term goal is to realize a robust library of reusable components that can be selected and used freely by those running distributed ledgers on Hyperledger technology.
“Iroha allows even more developers to interact with Hyperledger to build infrastructural projects and applications requiring distributed ledger technology,” said Brian Behlendorf, Executive Director of Hyperledger. “It is encouraging to see member companies actively contributing to a diverse and sustainable open source Blockchain ecosystem built on cooperation.”
The design and architecture of Iroha is greatly inspired by Fabric, in that Blockchain and chaincode services form the overall architecture. Where possible, APIs were made to be similar to Fabric and, rather than competing with Fabric, the goals of Iroha are to:
- Provide an environment for C++ developers to contribute to Hyperledger
- Provide infrastructure for mobile and web application support
- Provide a framework to experiment with new APIs and consensus algorithms that could potentially be incorporated into Fabric in the future.
Currently, the Hyperledger Project lacks an infrastructure project written in C++, thus limiting the potential developers who can contribute. Also, there is not currently a strong focus on user interaction or mobile applications, though both are necessary for the realization of the widespread use of distributed ledger technology. Iroha aims to rectify both of these points, bringing in more developers while providing libraries for mobile user interface development.
“We’re pleased that Iroha has been accepted for incubation into Hyperledger,” said Makoto Takemiya at Soramitsu. “By creating C++, mobile, and web development environments for Hyperledger, new developers can join the project and help contribute not only to Iroha, but to other sub projects, such as Fabric and Sawtooth Lake.”
Iroha is a distributed ledger project that was designed to be simple and easy to incorporate into infrastructural projects requiring distributed ledger technology. Iroha features:
- Simple construction
- Modern, domain-driven C++ design
- Emphasis on mobile application development
- New, chain-based Byzantine fault tolerant consensus algorithm, called Sumeragi
Although turing complete smart contracts are available via chaincode in Java (running a sandboxed JVM), users do not need to write chaincode in order to define digital assets in Iroha. Common use cases, such as deploying new currencies and sending text messages, are available as part of the core framework. Iroha is composed of the following:
- Iroha core
- Iroha Native iOS Library
- Iroha Native Android Library
Who will work on Iroha?
Soramitsu has committed several full time engineers to the project. Makoto Takemiya of Soramitsu is the initial project maintainer, along with six other engineers at Soramitsu. Besides Soramitsu, the co-sponsors of the proposal and other Hyperledger members are considering committing resources to work on Iroha including Toshiya Cho of Hitachi, Takahiro Inaba of NTT Data, and Mark Smargon of Colu.
Soramitsu is also doing collaborative research with The University of Tokyo, The University of Aizu, and Center for Global Communications (GLOCOM, below) of International University of Japan. From the University of Tokyo, Hideyuki Tanaka will consider economics use cases with Iroha. From The University of Aizu, Yasushi Fujii will explore business use cases with Iroha. From GLOCOM, Soichiro Takagi will consider economics and scientific research using Iroha.
Learn more about Iroha
Working with community members and use case partners, we would like to continue to improve upon Iroha and have it reach and active project stage in the future. The end goal is to realize a suite of components that can be freely interoperable with other Hyperledger projects.
The following repositories on github have been created to manage Iroha resources:
You can learn more about Iroha in this whitepaper or other incubation projects under Hyperledger here. Iroha documentation can be found here. For those interested in additional information, please reach out to: info [@] hyperledger.org
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017