OCBC Bank has become the first bank in Southeast Asia to use Blockchain technology in its local and cross-border payment funds transfer services. The use of a payment Blockchain solution will see increased efficiency, transparency and security as well as lower costs and a better customer experience .
A successful pilot payment transaction between the bank and its subsidiaries, OCBC Malaysia and Bank of Singapore, was conducted on 8 November 2016, using a payment Blockchain solution jointly designed by OCBC Bank and local banking payment solutions company BCS Information Systems (BCSIS). With the successful pilot, and after full integration of this payment solution, the BCSIS Blockchain platform will allow inter-bank payments between banks in Singapore and overseas without requiring a payment intermediary. In addition, OCBC Bank will extend the use of Blockchain technology to other financial products and service applications.
OCBC Bank’s latest fintech innovation initiative supports the Monetary Authority of Singapore’s (MAS) vision of a Smart Financial Centre and a culture of innovation within the financial industry. MAS Managing Director Ravi Menon had shared this vision, which is part of the government’s “Smart Nation” initiative, at the Global Technology Law Conference on 29 June 2015.
The two pilot payment transactions were:
- A cross-border funds transfer between OCBC Bank Singapore and OCBC Malaysia
- A local funds transfer between OCBC Bank Singapore and its private banking arm, Bank of Singapore.
Cross-border and local funds transfers using payment Blockchain solution
The benefits of using the payment Blockchain solution:
- Highly secure: The funds transfer data is recorded in the digital ledger which, once encrypted, cannot be modified or tampered with. This keeps the transaction information private and secure, reducing the risk of fraud.
- Faster turnaround time: With the removal of the intermediary and the need for manual processing in the traditional payments setting, the funds transfers are directly conducted between the originating bank and receiving bank in a straight-through process which cuts down processing time. For instance, funds transfers between OCBC Singapore and OCBC Malaysia which typically require up to 1 day could be completed in less than 5 minutes.
- More transparency: With the removal of the traditional intermediary transaction platform, there is visibility of transaction flows between senders and recipients and the transactions can be much more easily tracked.
- Lower cost: The distributed nature of Blockchain’s digital ledger removes the need for centralised institutions (intermediaries) and manual processing, which translates to lower cost.
The successful application of Blockchain, one of the fastest-growing financial technologies in the financial industry, to payment services is another result of OCBC Bank’s commitment to digital innovation. This follows closely the launch of the bank’s open Application Programming Interface (API) platform in May 2016.
“Blockchain technology is the most transformative technology to date. It is set to revolutionise the financial industry and change the way we work. As such, we are pleased to be the first bank in Southeast Asia to have completed a successful trial for applying this technology to make real-time international payments a reality. This is a milestone not only for us but for Singapore as Asia’s financial hub as we pave the way to revolutionising the traditional cross-border payments model. We hope this will be a catalyst for more banks to adopt the Blockchain technology so that, together, we can achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness while delivering more high-value financial services to our consumers.
“This Blockchain initiative continues to build on our culture of innovation at OCBC where we have scored a few firsts: The first bank in Southeast Asia to launch an open Application Programming Interface (API) platform; the first bank in Asia Pacific to enable secure payments via Apple’s Siri and iMessage; and the first bank in Singapore to launch biometric authentication for mobile banking apps, amongst many others,” said Mr Praveen Raina, Senior Vice President, Group Operations & Technology, OCBC Bank.
Mr Ricky Lim, Managing Director of BCSIS, said:
“As a leading provider of immediate payment platforms, we are pleased to partner OCBC Bank in this initiative, as the application of Blockchain technology to payments is a natural evolution in the changing digital banking landscape. This Blockchain solution will not only enable banks to inter-operate seamlessly across their own network, but also with other banks. We will continue to leverage emerging technologies and work with the banks to create superior payment experiences for customers.”
“MAS and the financial industry have worked hard over the past two years to build a thriving FinTech ecosystem in Singapore. OCBC’s initiative demonstrates the vibrancy of our banks in applying innovative technology to complex business problems like cross-border payments,” Said Mr Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
Blockchain is the enabling technology behind the virtual currency, bitcon, and has been regarded as one of the most transformative innovations to-date. It is essentially a digital ledger which records data and lumps them into “blocks”, which are then securely encrypted and chronologically bound together into a “chain”. The ledger is distributed across all parties within a network, where all parties have to come to a consensus to authenticate the transactions. It is therefore a form of distributed ledger versus the traditional ledger which is maintained by a centralised institution, thus removing the need for a central intermediary.
OCBC Bank is the longest established Singapore bank, formed in 1932 from the merger of three local banks, the oldest of which was founded in 1912. It is now the second largest financial services group in Southeast Asia by assets and one of the world’s most highly-rated banks, with an Aa1 rating from Moody’s. Recognised for its financial strength and stability, OCBC Bank is consistently ranked among the World’s Top 50 Safest Banks by Global
Finance and has been named Best Managed Bank in Singapore and the Asia Pacific by The Asian Banker.
OCBC Bank and its subsidiaries offer a broad array of commercial banking, specialist financial and wealth management services, ranging from consumer, corporate, investment, private and transaction banking to treasury, insurance, asset management and stockbroking services. OCBC Bank’s key markets are Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Greater China. It has over 610 branches and representative offices in 18 countries and regions. These include the more than 330 branches and offices in Indonesia under subsidiary Bank OCBC NISP, and 110 branches and offices in Hong Kong, China and Macau under OCBC Wing Hang. OCBC Bank’s private banking services are provided by its wholly-owned subsidiary Bank of Singapore, which operates on a unique open-architecture product platform to source for the best-in-class products to meet its clients’ goals. OCBC Bank’s insurance subsidiary, Great Eastern Holdings, is the oldest and most established life insurance group in Singapore and Malaysia. Its asset management subsidiary, Lion Global Investors, is one of the largest private sector asset management companies in Southeast Asia.
- Medicalchain – first UK-based Company to bring Blockchain Technology to the Healthcare Industry Announced ICO - August 23, 2017
- Ties.Network Announces Token Generation Event (TGE) - August 23, 2017
- Bodhi Raised $10M Ahead of ICO Launch - August 22, 2017
- myGeoTracking Teams with Rivetz to Provide State of the Art Device Security for Mobile Field Employees - August 22, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Collaboration With Leading Retailers And Food Companies To Address Worldwide Food Safety - August 22, 2017
- SmartContract.com, Used by SWIFT, Announces Technical Leaders as Advisors, Launches ChainLink to Connect Smart Contracts to Off-chain Data & Payments - August 22, 2017
- Synechron Partners with R3 in One of the Largest Distributed Ledger Consortium Projects of the Year - August 22, 2017
- Hive Raises $8.95 Million to Build Blockchain-Based Invoice Finance Platform - August 22, 2017
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017