Thought leaders from both the Blockchain and advertising scenes came together in New York City last week at the ad:tech conference to discuss the opportunities of this disruptive technology and how it could impact the industry, focussing on the inherent qualities of Blockchain technology: transparency, trust, automation, identity management, data portability – and explored how those qualities could be implemented to ultimately drive innovation and efficiency within the advertising industry.
David Bailey moderated the panel titled “Driving ROI through Transparency, Trust and Collaboration: Enter the Blockchain,” bringing with him a wealth of knowledge as the CEO of the Blockchain media conglomerate BTC Media. He was joined by Konstantin Richter, advisor to Gem (the leader in Blockchain healthcare solutions) and Wiredrive (SaaS for advertisers); Jim Wilson, President of Premion OTT (part of TEGNA media); as well as Steven Nerayoff, Blockchain expert and Senior Advisor of Ethereum. Also on the panel was Adam Helfgott, Co-founder and CEO of Madhive, one of the first companies to build their advertising and data platform on top of a Blockchain.
Bailey compared a Blockchain to the original double-entry accounting system that first appeared in the 1500s and revolutionized trade. The 21st-century difference is that a Blockchain is a distributed digital ledger, where all participants can see the data and all transactions entered into the common log. Essentially, a Blockchain is a distributed ledger built for the digital world.
Nerayoff emphasized how use of Blockchain technology streamlines transactions of any kind.
“The nice thing is the transactions between two parties all go through this protocol, which is the real beauty of the Blockchain. Anything you want automated, to cut out a third party, can be done through the Blockchain protocol,” says Nerayoff.
This technology could also assist the management of data by introducing an absolute integrity to information held within the ledger. In its current state, many aspects of the ad-tech industry are reliant on ‘trust’ between walled gardens of data, which is a state of belief rather than reliable proof.
“When you ultimately look at the chain from the consumer all the way to the brand advertiser,” added Richter, “there are a lot of systems interconnected across walled gardens and it is very difficult to reconcile that what you have is actual factual data, you just have to trust it.”
Madhive’s front-end product services the streaming video industry, where there is so much disruption while broadcast moves to digital. Said CEO Helfgott: “It’s an open playing field with more opportunities to build better systems around data targeting.
“The data from first, second and third parties are brought together for targeting and companies want to move it and act on it, across platforms and devices using the rules they already have in place. Using smart contracts governed by a private Blockchain, you can actually track everything that is going through the supply chain much more effectively and transparently.
Helfgott explained that in a private Blockchain setting “data partners and advertisers can lock and unlock data, making it transparent, but only to certain people.”
Richter pointed out that with the millions of dollars spent targeting each person per year the Blockchain would be a powerful tool for users to manage their own identities with certainty: “Decentralized ledgers allow the collection and management of data and identities, which could give people with the ability to own and manage their identities over different channels; this could be very powerful.”
Premion President Jim Wilson recalled a conversation he had that very morning in which the disparate data stores meant a company could not retrieve its own first-party advertising data.
“I was on a business call with a fast-food chain brand who wanted to find out specific data from all the platforms they are advertising on, but the platforms are all siloed in these walled gardens which cuts out interoperability. This is a challenge for us, but something we are intent on solving,” said Wilson.
Despite the problems these opaque data sets create for companies, all the panelists agree that the advertising industry as it stands is intentionally built on the monopolization of data.
“There is an inherent fraudulent nature in the process right now,” said Richter. “It’s a business model built around taking cuts of money so there’s no interest in transparency, but the Blockchain could be very disruptive to this model.”
Wilson believes the increased democratization of data will help companies individually, and the industry as a whole.
“At the end of the day the opportunity to distribute data out to your partners is so they can build a better service. With the companies I advise, I highly recommend the safe distribution or sale of data, not just to add value to the industry but to add value back to your company,” said Wilson.
While most of the panelists agreed that high-level commercial implementation of the Blockchain might is still in its infant stages, Bailey was able to draw on his early experience with Bitcoin to describe a possible future for the technology.
Helfgott explained that one of the things his company Madhive is working on is innovation around the payment systems using the ledger.
“At the moment payments and chargebacks can take from 30 to 90 days, but with a decentralized protocol this could be solved almost immediately,” he said. However, he is realistic that this “would require infrastructure changes within these organizations so this is an application that could be applied in the future.”
BTC Media CEO Bailey brought the discussion back to the enormous and potentially revolutionary power of Blockchain technology:
“The technology is such that it could vaporize entire business models. When someone figures that out, you see partnerships with startups that are leading innovation. It took three years before commercial institutions started taking bitcoin seriously, but nine months after the first major financial institution made a partnership, 300 other institutions had followed suit.”
ad:tech is the original industry authority for marketing and media technology, where marketing, technology and media communities assemble to share new ways of thinking, build strong partnerships, and define new strategies to compete in an ever-changing marketplace. Several annual events around the world deliver immersive education through keynote speakers, timely topic-driven panels and hands-on workshops as well as showcasing the latest products and solutions to help deepen understanding and create new ideas that will drive innovation. Attendees leave ad:tech inspired by what’s new and what’s next, armed with the tools and techniques they need to shift and re-imagine their own businesses. For more information, visit http://www.ad-tech.com. Follow @adtech on Twitter.
About BTC Media
Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, BTC Media LLC is the publisher of Distributed, Bitcoin Magazine and yBitcoin. The company is the world’s largest provider of multimedia educational and informational resources about the Blockchain and digital currency industries.
Headquartered in New York City, MadHive is a video advertising and data platform that allows brands and publishing partners to build audiences in innovative ways and target those audiences across multiple screens and platforms. MadHive’s back-end product uses Blockchain technology to safely allow brands and publishers to work together in new ways by leveraging the inherent trust and verifiability of a Blockchain network.
Wiredrive is a secure media-sharing and collaboration tool designed for creative professionals. More than 1,500 agencies, brands, production houses, and entertainment companies rely on Wiredrive to effectively collaborate with teams and privately share video. Tailored for professionals who create video, Wiredrive has faster upload and download speeds, industry-specific workflows, robust search capabilities, custom branding, insights into user activities, metadata search and enterprise-grade security.
TEGNA Inc. is comprised of a dynamic portfolio of media and digital businesses that provide content that matters and brands that deliver. TEGNA reaches more than 90 million Americans and delivers highly relevant, useful and smart content, when and how people need it, to make the best decisions possible. TEGNA Media includes 46 television stations and is the largest independent station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. TEGNA Digital is comprised of Cars.com, the leading online destination for automotive consumers, CareerBuilder, a global leader in human capital solutions, and other powerful brands such as G/O Digital and Cofactor.
- Sun Exchange Raises $1.6 Million Seed Investment to Catalyze Global Shift to Solar Power - October 22, 2017
- Brickblock And Nakamo.to Announce Partnership To Fuse Real-world Asset Trading With The Potential Of IOTA’s Tangle Network - October 22, 2017
- Wirex inks deal with SBI Holdings to establish Asia focussed joint venture – Japanese cryptocurrency payments card expected soon - October 22, 2017
- CrowdWiz successfully raises over $5 million in its pre sale to bring democracy to investing by cutting out the middleman - October 22, 2017
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry - October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale - October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development - October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017