Chinese company BlockCDN are creating a bank of computing resources from crowdsourced bandwidth, offering competitive prices to content providers. BlockCDN‘s blockchain-based service has attracted the attention of Youku, a video hosting service based in Beijing, China, who will be the first to trial it in the new year.
BlockCDN comes with a built-in trading platform, providing an online marketplace where network ‘demanders’ can input workloads and ‘Sharers’ can fulfill those workloads in return for digital currency. Anyone can join in the network by connecting their devices – Smart phones, tablets, computers – and start putting their excess capacity to work in the spirit of the shareconomy.
The CDN market today is worth $6 billion and will grow to $23.2 billion by 2021 according to MarketsandMarkets. Resources must be found to meet that demand and BlockCDN believe their model represents the future.
‘Internet use has doubled in a decade putting pressure on traditional CDN providers. Video and rich media content is gaining popularity and the rise of social and mobile media mean the consumer is demanding faster, higher quality web experiences. BlockCDN’s ‘shareconomy’ model holds the only real solution’. Tony Long, CEO, BlockCDN
Traditional CDN providers have high costs to pay for servers, bandwidth, power consumption and equipment maintenance whereas BlockCDN crowdsources its power and uses automation to drive costs down. The BlockCDN platform handles all transactions through Ethereum smart contracts and publishes them to the blockchain for transparency. The efficiencies of BlockCDN can cut up to 90% off traditional costs, savings that will be passed onto the customer.
The idea for BlockCDN was from entrepreneur Tony Long who has 15 years experience in business and already two successful companies to his name. The BlockCDN core team are seasoned CDN professionals have spent 8 years working for one of the biggest CDN companies in China. With well-developed connections in the industry and a product already in beta testing, BlockCDN are in a strong position to launch next year.
Once up and running, BlockCDN will be a blockchain-mediated ecosystem where participants control their contributions to earn a passive income. BlockCDN takes just 5% of transaction fees and passes the rest onto contributors. The system design promotes users to actively increase their node capacity, in turn improving BlockCDN’s offering. As an added incentive BlockCDN are sharing profits of 40% to early investors for the first 3 years.
BlockCDN crowdfund opens on 28th November.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017