The mainstream interest and new developments in Blockchain have now reached the point that, according to online gambling industry experts, Blockchain requires attention for all online gambling operators and participants.
“Following Bitcoin’s significant rise in the online gambling community, people are now looking at the underlying technology, Blockchain, which is having a hugely disruptive impact on the industry. The estimated $41 billion gambling industry has been created and now it is ready to embrace the Blockchain concept and realize the financial benefits of applying this technology on an industry-wide basis.”
America has already seen a massive rise in Bitcoin casino and Bitcoin sports betting sites on the web, and now new players and old alike are looking to improve issues of trust and transparency using Blockchain’s technology for their online gambling products. Trust has always been one of the biggest concerns for online gamblers, but now Blockchain start-ups are emerging which entirely removes this concept as a source of uncertainty.
VDice is one example. It is billed as the world’s first fully decentralized gambling platform. It went live this June and is already wildly popular amongst Blockchain geeks. Using the Ethereum Blockchain, they have leveraged Smart Contract technology and have created game codes that exist without a server.
The core vDice game is a classic SatoshiDICE (SD) influenced betting game, implemented as an Ethereum Smart Contract. So, unlike SD, it is fully decentralized with no server architecture at all. This is the next level of decentralization in online betting. This game is live, popular and already processing bets. It is out of proof-of-concept stage. The concept is already proven. By Phase 3 of the development roadmap we hit the “Pioneer” stage.
This is where we develop out the vDice brand and site as a platform for developers. At vDice 3rd party developers can write and show off their own betting smart contracts. We expect a lot of developers writing betting smart contracts for Ethereum. The incentives are too well aligned. But they won’t have the time and resources to do the other stuff; build a brand and make them popular. So they will use the vDice brand. It will help them a lot.
But there are other such startups such as Firstblood, who raised over US$5 million in minutes in an ICO. They’re aiming to build and launch their own gambling platform on Ethereum.
The competition is heating up because the potential rewards are huge. If music and publishing are any indications, then the proper disruption of online gambling could see it’s democratization.
With Blockchain being a decentralized system, built by a coordinated network of independent consensus nodes, no one individual or entity can have a centralized advantage at any stage of the gambling process.
Gambling companies can use Blockchain to assure their users they are completely incapable of knowing the result of an outcome – such as the dealing of a particular card – in advance. By removing the entire concept of centralization, and by putting the verification of bets in the hands of the network of nodes, the requirement for a third-party point of trust automatically becomes redundant.
André Wilsenach, executive director of the Alderney Gambling Control Commission has said that “shared, digitalized, decentralized” information in a Blockchain-based ledger system would provide regulators with significantly better access to required data.
And SportingBet founder Mark Blandford maintains the technology’s benefits to the anti-money laundering process:
“…everything is going to be auditable and traceable in a far more transparent way than has previously been the case”.
Blandford, who recently entered the Blockchain world by investing in Coinsilium, a Blockchain technology incubator, advised that people should
“…think about how applications of Blockchain would work in their particular branch of the online gaming industry”.
It has been suggested a number of times by various analysts that the installation of Blockchain technology can make online gambling more transparent and fair. Blockchain’s decentralized system, which is built by a coordinated network of independent nodes, allows no one individual or entity to have an advantage at any stage of the online gambling event. Removing the idea of centralization, and by putting verification responsibility on the network of nodes, the requirement for a third-party point of trust becomes unnecessary.
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017