The Mahindra Group, one of the largest diversified multinational group of companies based in India, and IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced the development of a Blockchain solution that has the potential to reinvent supply chain finance across India by enhancing security, transparency and operational processes.
“The Mahindra Group is pioneering the use of Blockchain to disrupt its traditional businesses and drive future growth. We are actively looking at other applications across the Group in financial services, auto, mobility and agritech,” said Anish Shah, Group President (Strategy), Mahindra Group. “This proof of concept represents a significant step forward in making Blockchain, still a new technology, a more compelling and efficient supply chain solution for Mahindra Finance’s small and mid-sized enterprises loans business. Working with IBM, we will work to build, test, scale and refine this solution over time.”
This cloud-based application, one of the first projects of its kind in India outside of traditional banking, is designed to transform supplier-to-manufacturer trade finance transactions through a permissioned distributed ledger. The Blockchain-based supply chain finance solution will enable all parties involved in the transaction to act on the same shared ledger, with each party updating only their part of the process, ensuring efficiency, consistency, trust and transparency, while safeguarding sensitive information.
Invoice discounting, the process of bundling and selling invoices at a discount, is a major source of working capital finance for many suppliers. This new solution aims to enable more suppliers to access credit, with the goal of driving more financial inclusion throughout the supply chain. Supplier-to-manufacturer invoice discounting processes have historically been said to be difficult, slow and risky, requiring each party to maintain and manually update separate ledgers. Human errors during this process have been known to create inconsistent records, ultimately resulting in delayed payments and capital that cannot be accessed.
Blockchain technology can help enable Mahindra Finance access transactions recorded on a shared ledger in near real-time, enabling it to develop and offer new products to small and mid-sized enterprises. This is a radical process and technology shift which has the potential to drive business growth into the future.
“Blockchain is poised to revolutionize business like the Internet did, and IBM is at the forefront of the revolution. We offer a comprehensive enterprise-class Blockchain solution that is secure, scalable and reliable. The work with Mahindra has the potential to fundamentally transform the way businesses interact with one another and their customers and suppliers, and we’re confident that this engagement can be replicated not just in the finance industry but across other sectors as well,” said Lula Mohanty, Managing Partner of IBM Global Business Services, IBM ISA.
IBM is rapidly expanding its Blockchain consulting services and capabilities and actively working with clients to understand what it takes to make Blockchain ready for business. Through its open source contributions to the Hyperledger Fabric and its Blockchain services on IBM Bluemix cloud, developers can easily and quickly develop applications while testing security, availability and performance of a permissioned Blockchain network. IBM is committed to advancing the science of Blockchain, helping to remove complexity, and making it more accessible and open. Financial services, supply chains, trade finance and logistics, IoT, risk management, digital rights management and healthcare are some of the areas that are poised for dramatic change using Blockchain networks.
The Mahindra Group focuses on enabling people to rise through solutions that power mobility, drive rural prosperity, enhance urban lifestyles and increase business efficiency.
A USD 17.8 billion multinational group based in Mumbai, India, Mahindra provides employment opportunities to over 200,000 people in over 100 countries. Mahindra operates in the key industries that drive economic growth, enjoying a leadership position in tractors, utility vehicles, information technology, financial services and vacation ownership. In addition, Mahindra enjoys a strong presence in the agribusiness, aerospace, components, consulting services, defence, energy, industrial equipment, logistics, real estate, retail, steel, commercial vehicles and two wheeler industries.
In 2015, Mahindra & Mahindra was recognized as the Best Company for CSR in India in a study by the Economic Times. In 2014, Mahindra featured on the Forbes Global 2000, a comprehensive listing of the world’s largest, most powerful public companies, as measured by revenue, profit, assets and market value. The Mahindra Group also received the Financial Times ‘Boldness in Business’ Award in the ‘Emerging Markets’ category in 2013. Visit us at www.mahindra.com.
- Chain of Points Adds Internet Pioneer and iPayYou Founder Gene Kavner to Board of Advisors - February 27, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce and Structured Finance Industry Group Partner to bring Blockchain to Securitization - February 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bloq Acquires Blockchain Analytics Pioneer Skry - February 27, 2017
- Edgeless.io Launches its ICO to become the first fully transparent Casino, Offering 0% Edge - February 27, 2017
- Storj Labs Raises $3 Million in Seed Funding - February 26, 2017
- Northern Trust And IBM Pioneer Use Of Blockchain Technology To Help Transform Private Equity Administration - February 26, 2017
- 0x – An Open Protocol for Decentralized Exchange on the Ethereum Blockchain - February 26, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 26, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Peerplays Raises $4m Before ICO Even Kicks Off - February 26, 2017
- Numerai Launches Cryptocurrency and New Hedge Fund Built By Data Scientist Network - February 26, 2017
- Disrupt the VC Industry? Brock Pierce and Blockchain Capital to Launch Own Cryptocurrency and ICO - February 26, 2017
- SoftBank, Sprint and TBCASoft Partner in Blockchain Technology for Telecom Carriers - February 25, 2017
- Lisk Introduces New Blockchain Technology Update - February 25, 2017
- Dash Partners with BlockPay to Enable Point of Sale Purchases at Brick and Mortar Stores - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Interaction Unit (BIU) – No Internet, No Mobile Phone, No Computer. No Problem. - February 25, 2017
- Blockchain Banking Consortium R3 Gets Into Semantic Tornado Over Blockchain – Bitcoiners Jeer from Sidelines - February 25, 2017
- IOHK and University of Edinburgh Establish Blockchain Technology Laboratory - February 24, 2017
- Liberland to Launch Online Startup Contest to Kick Off Smart Nation - February 23, 2017
- Blockchain Intelligence Group Launches QLUE Version Codename Deep Cove - February 23, 2017
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017