The Mahindra Group, one of the largest diversified multinational group of companies based in India, and IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced the development of a Blockchain solution that has the potential to reinvent supply chain finance across India by enhancing security, transparency and operational processes.
“The Mahindra Group is pioneering the use of Blockchain to disrupt its traditional businesses and drive future growth. We are actively looking at other applications across the Group in financial services, auto, mobility and agritech,” said Anish Shah, Group President (Strategy), Mahindra Group. “This proof of concept represents a significant step forward in making Blockchain, still a new technology, a more compelling and efficient supply chain solution for Mahindra Finance’s small and mid-sized enterprises loans business. Working with IBM, we will work to build, test, scale and refine this solution over time.”
This cloud-based application, one of the first projects of its kind in India outside of traditional banking, is designed to transform supplier-to-manufacturer trade finance transactions through a permissioned distributed ledger. The Blockchain-based supply chain finance solution will enable all parties involved in the transaction to act on the same shared ledger, with each party updating only their part of the process, ensuring efficiency, consistency, trust and transparency, while safeguarding sensitive information.
Invoice discounting, the process of bundling and selling invoices at a discount, is a major source of working capital finance for many suppliers. This new solution aims to enable more suppliers to access credit, with the goal of driving more financial inclusion throughout the supply chain. Supplier-to-manufacturer invoice discounting processes have historically been said to be difficult, slow and risky, requiring each party to maintain and manually update separate ledgers. Human errors during this process have been known to create inconsistent records, ultimately resulting in delayed payments and capital that cannot be accessed.
Blockchain technology can help enable Mahindra Finance access transactions recorded on a shared ledger in near real-time, enabling it to develop and offer new products to small and mid-sized enterprises. This is a radical process and technology shift which has the potential to drive business growth into the future.
“Blockchain is poised to revolutionize business like the Internet did, and IBM is at the forefront of the revolution. We offer a comprehensive enterprise-class Blockchain solution that is secure, scalable and reliable. The work with Mahindra has the potential to fundamentally transform the way businesses interact with one another and their customers and suppliers, and we’re confident that this engagement can be replicated not just in the finance industry but across other sectors as well,” said Lula Mohanty, Managing Partner of IBM Global Business Services, IBM ISA.
IBM is rapidly expanding its Blockchain consulting services and capabilities and actively working with clients to understand what it takes to make Blockchain ready for business. Through its open source contributions to the Hyperledger Fabric and its Blockchain services on IBM Bluemix cloud, developers can easily and quickly develop applications while testing security, availability and performance of a permissioned Blockchain network. IBM is committed to advancing the science of Blockchain, helping to remove complexity, and making it more accessible and open. Financial services, supply chains, trade finance and logistics, IoT, risk management, digital rights management and healthcare are some of the areas that are poised for dramatic change using Blockchain networks.
The Mahindra Group focuses on enabling people to rise through solutions that power mobility, drive rural prosperity, enhance urban lifestyles and increase business efficiency.
A USD 17.8 billion multinational group based in Mumbai, India, Mahindra provides employment opportunities to over 200,000 people in over 100 countries. Mahindra operates in the key industries that drive economic growth, enjoying a leadership position in tractors, utility vehicles, information technology, financial services and vacation ownership. In addition, Mahindra enjoys a strong presence in the agribusiness, aerospace, components, consulting services, defence, energy, industrial equipment, logistics, real estate, retail, steel, commercial vehicles and two wheeler industries.
In 2015, Mahindra & Mahindra was recognized as the Best Company for CSR in India in a study by the Economic Times. In 2014, Mahindra featured on the Forbes Global 2000, a comprehensive listing of the world’s largest, most powerful public companies, as measured by revenue, profit, assets and market value. The Mahindra Group also received the Financial Times ‘Boldness in Business’ Award in the ‘Emerging Markets’ category in 2013. Visit us at www.mahindra.com.
- Commodities Behemoth Testing Blockchain Tech with Crude Oil Cargo - January 21, 2017
- Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Platform Raises $2 Million - January 21, 2017
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Aims for 2 billion Users by Bringing Blockchain Technology to Alipay - January 20, 2017
- ChronoBank Plans to Use Multiple Blockchains - January 20, 2017
- Hyperledger Welcomes New Blockchain Platform Partner Cello - January 20, 2017
- WISeKey and Stratumn Join Forces to Use Blockchain for Real-Time Accountability and Traceability in Enterprise Processes - January 20, 2017
- Blockchain Report – European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) - January 20, 2017
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017