The timing could not be better.
On October 21, 2016 millions of Internet users across America were denied access to major websites such as PayPal, Netflix, Twitter and Spotify. due to a massive DDoS attack that brought down the DNS servers of of DNS provider Dyn.
The best startups solve problems that need brilliant solutions.
“As it happens, my own project Nebulis is building a new domain directory using the Interplanetary File System (IPFS) and the Ethereum Blockchain, so I thought I’d weigh in,” writes Philip Saunders, founder of Nebulis, a distributed, blank-slate DNS system.
Most people have heard that countries like China, Turkey, Russia and North Korea censor their internet. Not as many people know how this is achieved: by poisoning the DNS system. When a Chinese user tries to access “Twitter.com” they are redirected to the wrong IP address or blocked altogether. The same goes for requests that contain keywords that have been banned by the regime.
It would be no exaggeration to say that DNS is the weak link of the internet, exploited by rogue ISP’s, censors, and hackers to create an unreliable web.
Blockchain offers a solution – a decentralized system that can make it literally impossible for the infrastructure to fail under an excess of requests. And Nebulis plans to use the Ethereum Blockchain and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS), a distributed alternative to HTTP’s centralized structure, to make its DNS infrastructure immune to DDoS attacks.
Saunders told Techcrunch recently:
“Blockchains, particularly the Ethereum platform, can allow a different approach,” Saunders explains. “Only changes or updates to the record cost money in the form of network fees, but reads are free, as long as you have a copy of the Blockchain.”
“With the Ethereum Blockchain, you read straight from your own copy without imposing costs on the network. This has great potential for lifting a great deal of pressure from the physical backbone of the internet,” he added. “It also means we can do away with many of the redundancies of the traditional DNS and come up with something which is much better.”
You can read the first memorandum here.
These are the core contracts of the system:
- Nebulis: controls the creation of new clusters and zones, redirecting queries as well as basic governance functions.
- Whois: Query the existence and availability of domains and clusters.
- Resolver: Takes URL queries and returns the IPFS resource if it exists.
- Who: “Accounts”- whenever a new user creates a domain they are assigned a Who contract which holds all domains associated with that address as well as keeping a direct address link to the database nodes where the domain records are stored.
- Zones: Groups of users run managed as one group. Useful for domain name registrars running on Nebulis. Zones are Who contract-factories. Naming convention for zones is NB1, NB2, NB3 etc.
- Clusters: Top-level-domains. Anyone can create a new cluster as long as they amass a certain amount of Dust. Once a cluster is created, anyone can register a domain on it.
- Root/Branch/Node: Every cluster has its own database. Entries are indexed alphabetically (or in their UTF-8 assigned order) to three levels of depth.
- Parser/Regex: By default only certain valid character sets are activated, although when a cluster is created it is possible to specify a greater custom character set.
- Ox: When dormant domains are ejected, the Dust tokens associated with them are send to the Ox contract and paid to miners via dust awarded to the user. Note that it is not necessary to use Dust to buy the domain in the first place, all that is required is to pay the gas price at time of creation. This means that acquiring Dust from more dense clusters is more expensive, because as the database expands gasprice of interaction will be more. But dust everywhere has the same amount of governance leverage no matter what cluster it was generated in. This provides an incentive for people to register domains in less dense clusters.
Nebulis is incorporated as a nonprofit foundation in order to support continual development not only of the core system on Ethereum but also the surrounding tools. The goal would also be to provide support for the IPFS project over the long term, while also promoting the ideals of decentralization and privacy online.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017