The timing could not be better.
On October 21, 2016 millions of Internet users across America were denied access to major websites such as PayPal, Netflix, Twitter and Spotify. due to a massive DDoS attack that brought down the DNS servers of of DNS provider Dyn.
The best startups solve problems that need brilliant solutions.
“As it happens, my own project Nebulis is building a new domain directory using the Interplanetary File System (IPFS) and the Ethereum Blockchain, so I thought I’d weigh in,” writes Philip Saunders, founder of Nebulis, a distributed, blank-slate DNS system.
Most people have heard that countries like China, Turkey, Russia and North Korea censor their internet. Not as many people know how this is achieved: by poisoning the DNS system. When a Chinese user tries to access “Twitter.com” they are redirected to the wrong IP address or blocked altogether. The same goes for requests that contain keywords that have been banned by the regime.
It would be no exaggeration to say that DNS is the weak link of the internet, exploited by rogue ISP’s, censors, and hackers to create an unreliable web.
Blockchain offers a solution – a decentralized system that can make it literally impossible for the infrastructure to fail under an excess of requests. And Nebulis plans to use the Ethereum Blockchain and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS), a distributed alternative to HTTP’s centralized structure, to make its DNS infrastructure immune to DDoS attacks.
Saunders told Techcrunch recently:
“Blockchains, particularly the Ethereum platform, can allow a different approach,” Saunders explains. “Only changes or updates to the record cost money in the form of network fees, but reads are free, as long as you have a copy of the Blockchain.”
“With the Ethereum Blockchain, you read straight from your own copy without imposing costs on the network. This has great potential for lifting a great deal of pressure from the physical backbone of the internet,” he added. “It also means we can do away with many of the redundancies of the traditional DNS and come up with something which is much better.”
You can read the first memorandum here.
These are the core contracts of the system:
- Nebulis: controls the creation of new clusters and zones, redirecting queries as well as basic governance functions.
- Whois: Query the existence and availability of domains and clusters.
- Resolver: Takes URL queries and returns the IPFS resource if it exists.
- Who: “Accounts”- whenever a new user creates a domain they are assigned a Who contract which holds all domains associated with that address as well as keeping a direct address link to the database nodes where the domain records are stored.
- Zones: Groups of users run managed as one group. Useful for domain name registrars running on Nebulis. Zones are Who contract-factories. Naming convention for zones is NB1, NB2, NB3 etc.
- Clusters: Top-level-domains. Anyone can create a new cluster as long as they amass a certain amount of Dust. Once a cluster is created, anyone can register a domain on it.
- Root/Branch/Node: Every cluster has its own database. Entries are indexed alphabetically (or in their UTF-8 assigned order) to three levels of depth.
- Parser/Regex: By default only certain valid character sets are activated, although when a cluster is created it is possible to specify a greater custom character set.
- Ox: When dormant domains are ejected, the Dust tokens associated with them are send to the Ox contract and paid to miners via dust awarded to the user. Note that it is not necessary to use Dust to buy the domain in the first place, all that is required is to pay the gas price at time of creation. This means that acquiring Dust from more dense clusters is more expensive, because as the database expands gasprice of interaction will be more. But dust everywhere has the same amount of governance leverage no matter what cluster it was generated in. This provides an incentive for people to register domains in less dense clusters.
Nebulis is incorporated as a nonprofit foundation in order to support continual development not only of the core system on Ethereum but also the surrounding tools. The goal would also be to provide support for the IPFS project over the long term, while also promoting the ideals of decentralization and privacy online.
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017
- Santa Claus Is Moving To Blockchain! Bye, Bye Chimney! - November 13, 2017
- Safinus Platform Wants to Unite Investors and Traders in One Place - November 13, 2017
- Exscudo Uses Multisignature Technology To Protect User Accounts - November 13, 2017
- Lykke To Support ERC20 Tokens In Latest Lykke Wallet Release - November 13, 2017
- Can Blockchain Revolutionise The Third Sector? Introducing The World’s First Recycling Intiative - November 13, 2017
- JBOX Announces Initial Coin Offering for Blockchain-Powered Decentralized Video Platform - November 13, 2017
- Perkins Coie Selected as a Founding Steward in Self-Sovereign Identity Network - November 13, 2017
- Waves Claims it Will Become the Fastest Blockchain Platform in the World - November 13, 2017
- Binary.com Announces ICO - November 13, 2017
- Finova Financial Announces The JOBS Crypto Offering (JCO): A Path To A Regulated Public Securities Offering for Non-Accredited Investors Using Cryptocurrency - November 13, 2017
- Dash Transactions Now 215 Times Cheaper Than Bitcoin After New Network Upgrade - November 13, 2017
- Tech Bureau’s mijin Opens Applications for Powerful New Enterprise Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Human Discovery Platform Launches Token Sale to Build the Largest Storage of Human Behavior Powered by Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- CarFix Will Repair Your Vehicle For A Fraction Of The Price, With Help From The Ethereum Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Neufund, Receives 10M Euro In Funding To Create ‘Equity Token’ - November 13, 2017
- Beenest Begins Decentralized Future For Short-term Housing Rentals - November 13, 2017
- CanYa Wants to Eliminate Crypto Volatility within Online Gig Economy Marketplace - November 13, 2017
- Allianz Pioneers Blockchain Prototype for the Captive Insurance Market - November 13, 2017
- Third Generation Cryptocurrency SkyCoin Aims to Shake up the Market - November 7, 2017
- DAO PlayMarket 2.0 – a New Era of Mobile Applications - November 7, 2017
- The International Scientific and Practical Association Jus Naturale – The first NGO with Blockchain-Based Membership - November 7, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes Lead Investor In Botanic Technologies And Seed Token, To Decentralize Bot Creation And Deployment - November 7, 2017
- TOKIT, Ethereum Blockchain Application Launches - November 6, 2017
- Australian Blockchain Startup HCash Raises $53M in ICO - November 6, 2017
- Publicly Listed Companies on Major Capital Markets to Raise Funds via ICOs? Yes, Says Pegasus Fintech - November 6, 2017
- Quantstamp Announces Partnership with Experty for Smart Contract Auditing Consultations - November 6, 2017
- Internxt Challenges Storj on Blockchain Storage Front - November 6, 2017
- ShoCard Announces Bob Tinker as Board Member - November 6, 2017
- Streamr Announces DATA Tokens Listed on Bitfinex, the Leading Global Exchange - November 6, 2017
- UltraPlay introduces eGold, the ultimate eSports betting cryptocurrency - November 6, 2017