The timing could not be better.
On October 21, 2016 millions of Internet users across America were denied access to major websites such as PayPal, Netflix, Twitter and Spotify. due to a massive DDoS attack that brought down the DNS servers of of DNS provider Dyn.
The best startups solve problems that need brilliant solutions.
“As it happens, my own project Nebulis is building a new domain directory using the Interplanetary File System (IPFS) and the Ethereum Blockchain, so I thought I’d weigh in,” writes Philip Saunders, founder of Nebulis, a distributed, blank-slate DNS system.
Most people have heard that countries like China, Turkey, Russia and North Korea censor their internet. Not as many people know how this is achieved: by poisoning the DNS system. When a Chinese user tries to access “Twitter.com” they are redirected to the wrong IP address or blocked altogether. The same goes for requests that contain keywords that have been banned by the regime.
It would be no exaggeration to say that DNS is the weak link of the internet, exploited by rogue ISP’s, censors, and hackers to create an unreliable web.
Blockchain offers a solution – a decentralized system that can make it literally impossible for the infrastructure to fail under an excess of requests. And Nebulis plans to use the Ethereum Blockchain and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS), a distributed alternative to HTTP’s centralized structure, to make its DNS infrastructure immune to DDoS attacks.
Saunders told Techcrunch recently:
“Blockchains, particularly the Ethereum platform, can allow a different approach,” Saunders explains. “Only changes or updates to the record cost money in the form of network fees, but reads are free, as long as you have a copy of the Blockchain.”
“With the Ethereum Blockchain, you read straight from your own copy without imposing costs on the network. This has great potential for lifting a great deal of pressure from the physical backbone of the internet,” he added. “It also means we can do away with many of the redundancies of the traditional DNS and come up with something which is much better.”
You can read the first memorandum here.
These are the core contracts of the system:
- Nebulis: controls the creation of new clusters and zones, redirecting queries as well as basic governance functions.
- Whois: Query the existence and availability of domains and clusters.
- Resolver: Takes URL queries and returns the IPFS resource if it exists.
- Who: “Accounts”- whenever a new user creates a domain they are assigned a Who contract which holds all domains associated with that address as well as keeping a direct address link to the database nodes where the domain records are stored.
- Zones: Groups of users run managed as one group. Useful for domain name registrars running on Nebulis. Zones are Who contract-factories. Naming convention for zones is NB1, NB2, NB3 etc.
- Clusters: Top-level-domains. Anyone can create a new cluster as long as they amass a certain amount of Dust. Once a cluster is created, anyone can register a domain on it.
- Root/Branch/Node: Every cluster has its own database. Entries are indexed alphabetically (or in their UTF-8 assigned order) to three levels of depth.
- Parser/Regex: By default only certain valid character sets are activated, although when a cluster is created it is possible to specify a greater custom character set.
- Ox: When dormant domains are ejected, the Dust tokens associated with them are send to the Ox contract and paid to miners via dust awarded to the user. Note that it is not necessary to use Dust to buy the domain in the first place, all that is required is to pay the gas price at time of creation. This means that acquiring Dust from more dense clusters is more expensive, because as the database expands gasprice of interaction will be more. But dust everywhere has the same amount of governance leverage no matter what cluster it was generated in. This provides an incentive for people to register domains in less dense clusters.
Nebulis is incorporated as a nonprofit foundation in order to support continual development not only of the core system on Ethereum but also the surrounding tools. The goal would also be to provide support for the IPFS project over the long term, while also promoting the ideals of decentralization and privacy online.
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy - September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light - September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network - September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale - September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece - September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows - September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017