IBM has just announced a program designed to speed up the development of Blockchain-based applications for business.
“The future growth and adoption of Blockchain is reliant upon building a strong ecosystem. Business networks will only reach critical mass when innovators, industry experts and infrastructure providers come together in new ways to reinvent how business transactions happen,” said Bridget Van Kralingen, senior vice president, IBM Industry Platforms. “The growing maturity of the Hyperledger Project code is a major milestone. That’s why IBM is investing to help developers accelerate the creation of Blockchain networks by providing an environment where these players can work together.”
IBM has also announced it will be hosting the first Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 Connect-a-Thon.
The company debuted its own Blockchain earlier this year, called simply IBM Blockchain, and the company is clearly hoping to play a central role in the coming world of business Blockchain apps. The company has been working on a number of Blockchain partnerships since it launched its offering in February, but its formal announcement today of a “Blockchain ecosystem,” open to any company interested in developing Blockchain apps, is a big move to mark itself as the go-to business Blockchain.
The ecosystem promises to offer route-to-market guidance and mentorship for startups building Blockchain apps — and it offers them a place to market their apps on IBM Marketplace, forming a sort of Blockchain “app store.” Enterprise developers and systems integrators can join the ecosystem, too, for access to tools, advice, and community. “IBM will provide education and tools to reduce the time required to go from idea to execution. IBM Blockchain experts will hold ‘office hours’ via the Hyperledger Fabric Slack channel providing support to developers and help with troubleshooting,” the company said in its release. The company will also offer code libraries, smart contract templates, and other tools.
IBM Blockchain is based on the Hyperledger Project, an open source collaboration of 100 member companies (including Intel, IBM, J.P. Morgan, Hitachi, Cisco, VMware, and Fujitsu, to name a few) focused on developing Blockchain tech specifically for business use. Hyperledger-based Blockchains differ from well-known public Blockchains such as Bitcoin and Ethereum in a few key ways. On the Bitcoin Blockchain, for example, all transactions are anonymous, but anyone in the public can view the amounts and movements of those transactions. On a Hyperledger-based Blockchain, such as IBM’s, users have known identities, and each application can define its own set of permissions to govern who can view which transactions.
A number of startups have already joined IBM’s ecosystem. Here are a few examples of participants listed on today’s press release:
- Everledger is a UK-based startup using IBM Blockchain to authenticate and trace the origin of high-value and luxury goods, such as diamonds and wine, that are authenticated by trusted players like certificate houses.
- Gliding Eagle is a California-based company providing a cloud and mobile based technology system offering transparency and authenticity in tracking individual products from the producer to the end consumer, anywhere in the world.
- The Hive is a Palo Alto-based early-fund and venture studio focused on applications of AI and big data with a strong Blockchain technology portfolio across fintech, cyber-security, industrial Internet and compliance. The Hive is actively co-creating ventures within IBM’s Blockchain ecosystem by collaborating with entrepreneurs.
- Loyyal is using Blockchain and smart contract technology to create interoperable loyalty and rewards infrastructure to address a highly fragmented industry, and offer multiple sectors an innovative way to incentivize customer behavior.
- Sensify Security is a Palo Alto-based IoT security startup that builds higher resistance to cyber-weapons by enabling operators to enforce access control in a decentralized manner within their operating environments. Its tamper-resistant propagation of security services to gateway-based points of enforcement offers operators centralized control, policy management, and compliance.
- Skuchain is a Silicon Valley startup building a Blockchain-based platform for collaborative commerce called Brackets. Skuchain is demonstrating the potential of verifiable information on Hyperledger Fabric to eliminate supply chain friction in use cases ranging from trade finance to working capital to item level authenticity.
Blockchain Connect-A-Thon with Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 – IBM will host a connect-a-thon on 17 December 2016, using the Hyperledger Fabric v1.0 to set up peers that will operate in a network of networks mode, providing security-rich, confidential transactions among known parties.
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017
- Hyperledger Announces Production-Ready Hyperledger Fabric 1.0 - July 12, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Mihai Alisie Joins Aragon Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- Musiconomi Announces Crowdsale For Music Industry - July 12, 2017
- Mothership Launches Progressive Blockchain Financial Services with the Estonian e-Residency Program - July 12, 2017
- Sphre Raises Over $5 Million in XID Token Sale to Bring Identity Management to the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Token Sale: Revolutionary Virtual Reality Streaming Platform Supported by the Blockchain - July 11, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Liquidity Asset Token (LATO) announces PRE-ICO to Tokenize Assets - July 11, 2017
- $64,818 single spin payout by playing Hansel & Gretel at BitStarz Casino - July 8, 2017
- Startup Monetha Wants to Challenge PayPal’s and Trustpilot’s Status Quo with the Ethereum Blockchain - July 6, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Bitclave Launches Advertising Application, Active Search Ecosystem and Cybersecurity Platform - July 6, 2017
- Qtum Claims World’s First Proof-of-Stake Smart Contracts Platform - July 5, 2017
- Deloitte CIS and Waves Say They Plan to Shape the Future of Blockchain - July 4, 2017
- NEVERDIE Teleportation ICO to Monetize Infrastructure and Drive Trillion Dollar Virtual Goods Economy as The First Double Coin ICO - July 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup ETHLend Wants to Revolutionise The Finance Lending Market - July 2, 2017
- Blockchain Startup EOS Token Distribution Generates Over US$185 Million in First Five Days - July 2, 2017
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Proposes Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) to Crush Rise of Cryptocurrencies - July 2, 2017
- DECENT Launches Blockchain-Based Content Distribution Platform to Take On Entertainment Giants - June 30, 2017
- Synereo Releases Content Monetization Platform WildSpark - June 30, 2017
- First-ever Blockchain Real Estate Project — 3,000 BTC Cap Crowdfunded in 24 Hours on Waves Platform - June 30, 2017