According to a recent Deloitte online survey of 308 senior executives at U.S. companies with $500 million or more in annual revenue to find out about corporate sentiment towards blockchain technology, understanding of the technology is uneven and many senior executives still know little or nothing about it, while others place it among their company’s highest priorities. Commitments to Blockchain vary by industry, in ways that are surprising.
Key findings from the survey showed that 28 per cent of respondents had invested $5 million or more in blockchain technology, while 10 per cent had invested $10 million or more.
On the other hand, 39 per cent of respondents had little or no knowledge in the technology.
Blockchain technology is emerging as a key business focus for US companies in many industries, with many executives in the consumer products and manufacturing; and technology, media and telecommunications sectors planning to spend the most in 2017.
Hype, or agent of transformation?
Many of these Blockchain-informed executives see the technology as crucial for their company and their industry. Fifty-five percent of this group said their company would be at a competitive disadvantage if it failed to adopt the technology. Forty-two percent of those surveyed who claimed some knowledge of Blockchain believe it will disrupt their industry.
“It is fair to say that industry is still confused to a degree about the potential for Blockchain. More than a quarter of surveyed knowledgeable execs say their companies view Blockchain as a critical, top-five priority. But about a third consider the technology overhyped,” said David Schatsky, managing director, Deloitte LLP
Solid progress on Blockchain deployments
The survey revealed that Blockchain investment and adoption patterns may be more complex than many observers believe. For instance, despite the relative immaturity of the technology, 21 percent of Blockchain-informed senior executives across a wide range of industries indicated that their firms have already brought Blockchain into production, and 25 percent plan to do so within the next year.
Investments made, and planned
This progress around Blockchain production is due in part to investments many companies say they have already made. Twenty-eight percent of these respondents reported that their companies have already invested $5 million or more in Blockchain technology, with 10 percent investing $10 million or more. Looking forward, 25 percent of respondents expect to invest more than $5 million in Blockchain technology during the next calendar year.
“This diversity may be a testament to the versatility of the technology,” added Schatsky. “But it is likely also a reflection of the fact that, despite the hype, the impact that Blockchain will likely have on businesses in various industries is not yet fully understood.
Significant Blockchain activities outside of financial services
Investment and adoption patterns vary by industry, in a pattern that defies conventional wisdom. Although the financial services industry was early to show interest in Blockchain, and accounts for a significant amount of investment and activity, the survey revealed that other industries may be even more aggressive in pursuing Blockchain strategies.
“Most financial services companies have been involved in Blockchain via their labs, investments, and pilots for a while now. Other industries are now starting to realize the potential for disruption, as well as the new opportunities that Blockchain creates,” said Eric Piscini, principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP and the Global Financial Services Blockchain leader.
Executives surveyed in the consumer products and manufacturing industry, for instance, expressed the most bullish Blockchain outlook, with 42 percent of respondents in this industry planning an investment of $5 million or more in the coming calendar year. Technology, media and telecommunications executives follow at 27 percent, and financial services at 23 percent.
Technology, media and telecommunications executives cite aggressive Blockchain deployment
As with investments, the pace of Blockchain technology deployment varies by industry, with technology, media & telecommunications; and consumer products and manufacturing in the lead. About 30 percent of respondents in those industries say their company has already brought Blockchain into production. In contrast, just 12 percent of surveyed financial services company executives say their company has deployed Blockchain in production. Surveyed financial services firms aim to pick up the pace: 24 percent say their companies plan to go live with Blockchain in the coming year. Health care and life sciences have the most aggressive deployment plans of any industry: 35 percent of respondents in that industry say their company plans to deploy Blockchain in production within the next calendar year.
Signals of innovation vary by industry
Patent filings are often taken as a measure of innovation. These, too, vary sharply by industry. Twenty-one percent of respondents stated that their organizations have filed for Blockchain patents. The most inventive industry as it relates to Blockchain may be consumer products and manufacturing, where 38 percent of respondents say their company has filed patents. This suggests that industry may be on the threshold of a period of significant Blockchain innovation.
Barriers to adoption: Technical standards and support from regulators could create a tipping point
While views on Blockchain’s primary value vary, there is rather more consensus about the main barriers to its widespread adoption. Per the survey, a crucial obstacle is the lack of technical standards in a still-immature technology. More than half (56 percent) of respondents believe technical standards would create a “tipping point” leading to widespread adoption.
Another key barrier according the respondents is regulatory uncertainty. Nearly half (48 percent) of respondents say federal regulations that support the use of Blockchain for business purposes such as contracts and financial audit will likely tip the scales in favor of mass adoption. For example, does private Blockchain activity represent an inherently reliable confirmation? Does a smart contract represent a legal contract in a court of law? Answering these questions in the affirmative will likely require changes in regulations, laws, practices and protocols.
About the Survey
This survey was commissioned by Deloitte and conducted online between Nov. 14 and Dec. 1, 2016. The survey polled a sample of 308 senior executives in the US at companies with $500 million or more in annual revenue. Respondents had at least a broad understanding of Blockchain and were familiar with and able to comment on their company’s Blockchain investment plans.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017