According to a recent Deloitte online survey of 308 senior executives at U.S. companies with $500 million or more in annual revenue to find out about corporate sentiment towards blockchain technology, understanding of the technology is uneven and many senior executives still know little or nothing about it, while others place it among their company’s highest priorities. Commitments to Blockchain vary by industry, in ways that are surprising.
Key findings from the survey showed that 28 per cent of respondents had invested $5 million or more in blockchain technology, while 10 per cent had invested $10 million or more.
On the other hand, 39 per cent of respondents had little or no knowledge in the technology.
Blockchain technology is emerging as a key business focus for US companies in many industries, with many executives in the consumer products and manufacturing; and technology, media and telecommunications sectors planning to spend the most in 2017.
Hype, or agent of transformation?
Many of these Blockchain-informed executives see the technology as crucial for their company and their industry. Fifty-five percent of this group said their company would be at a competitive disadvantage if it failed to adopt the technology. Forty-two percent of those surveyed who claimed some knowledge of Blockchain believe it will disrupt their industry.
“It is fair to say that industry is still confused to a degree about the potential for Blockchain. More than a quarter of surveyed knowledgeable execs say their companies view Blockchain as a critical, top-five priority. But about a third consider the technology overhyped,” said David Schatsky, managing director, Deloitte LLP
Solid progress on Blockchain deployments
The survey revealed that Blockchain investment and adoption patterns may be more complex than many observers believe. For instance, despite the relative immaturity of the technology, 21 percent of Blockchain-informed senior executives across a wide range of industries indicated that their firms have already brought Blockchain into production, and 25 percent plan to do so within the next year.
Investments made, and planned
This progress around Blockchain production is due in part to investments many companies say they have already made. Twenty-eight percent of these respondents reported that their companies have already invested $5 million or more in Blockchain technology, with 10 percent investing $10 million or more. Looking forward, 25 percent of respondents expect to invest more than $5 million in Blockchain technology during the next calendar year.
“This diversity may be a testament to the versatility of the technology,” added Schatsky. “But it is likely also a reflection of the fact that, despite the hype, the impact that Blockchain will likely have on businesses in various industries is not yet fully understood.
Significant Blockchain activities outside of financial services
Investment and adoption patterns vary by industry, in a pattern that defies conventional wisdom. Although the financial services industry was early to show interest in Blockchain, and accounts for a significant amount of investment and activity, the survey revealed that other industries may be even more aggressive in pursuing Blockchain strategies.
“Most financial services companies have been involved in Blockchain via their labs, investments, and pilots for a while now. Other industries are now starting to realize the potential for disruption, as well as the new opportunities that Blockchain creates,” said Eric Piscini, principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP and the Global Financial Services Blockchain leader.
Executives surveyed in the consumer products and manufacturing industry, for instance, expressed the most bullish Blockchain outlook, with 42 percent of respondents in this industry planning an investment of $5 million or more in the coming calendar year. Technology, media and telecommunications executives follow at 27 percent, and financial services at 23 percent.
Technology, media and telecommunications executives cite aggressive Blockchain deployment
As with investments, the pace of Blockchain technology deployment varies by industry, with technology, media & telecommunications; and consumer products and manufacturing in the lead. About 30 percent of respondents in those industries say their company has already brought Blockchain into production. In contrast, just 12 percent of surveyed financial services company executives say their company has deployed Blockchain in production. Surveyed financial services firms aim to pick up the pace: 24 percent say their companies plan to go live with Blockchain in the coming year. Health care and life sciences have the most aggressive deployment plans of any industry: 35 percent of respondents in that industry say their company plans to deploy Blockchain in production within the next calendar year.
Signals of innovation vary by industry
Patent filings are often taken as a measure of innovation. These, too, vary sharply by industry. Twenty-one percent of respondents stated that their organizations have filed for Blockchain patents. The most inventive industry as it relates to Blockchain may be consumer products and manufacturing, where 38 percent of respondents say their company has filed patents. This suggests that industry may be on the threshold of a period of significant Blockchain innovation.
Barriers to adoption: Technical standards and support from regulators could create a tipping point
While views on Blockchain’s primary value vary, there is rather more consensus about the main barriers to its widespread adoption. Per the survey, a crucial obstacle is the lack of technical standards in a still-immature technology. More than half (56 percent) of respondents believe technical standards would create a “tipping point” leading to widespread adoption.
Another key barrier according the respondents is regulatory uncertainty. Nearly half (48 percent) of respondents say federal regulations that support the use of Blockchain for business purposes such as contracts and financial audit will likely tip the scales in favor of mass adoption. For example, does private Blockchain activity represent an inherently reliable confirmation? Does a smart contract represent a legal contract in a court of law? Answering these questions in the affirmative will likely require changes in regulations, laws, practices and protocols.
About the Survey
This survey was commissioned by Deloitte and conducted online between Nov. 14 and Dec. 1, 2016. The survey polled a sample of 308 senior executives in the US at companies with $500 million or more in annual revenue. Respondents had at least a broad understanding of Blockchain and were familiar with and able to comment on their company’s Blockchain investment plans.
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy - September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light - September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network - September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale - September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece - September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows - September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017