In May 2013, Liberty Reserve, a centralized digital currency service that allowed users to register and transfer money to other users with only a name, e-mail address, and birth date, was shut down by United States federal prosecutors under the Patriot Act after an investigation by authorities across 17 countries. On January 2016, the central figure, Arthur Budovsky pleaded guilty to one count of conspiring to commit money laundering and on May 6, 2016, Budovsky was sentenced to 20 years of prison. The site had over a million users when it was shut down by the United States government and US legalites argued that due to lax security, alleged criminal activity largely went undetected, which ultimately led to them seizing the service.
Bitcoin was the central currency on Silk Road, the infamous and anonymous marketplace that was only accessible over the TOR anonymous browsing network on the deep web, and which was closed by the FBI in October 2013. Silk Road was a haven for drug sales, hitment, dodgy porn and other illegal goods.
This prompted US Senator Charles Schumer to call for the site to be shut down, explicitly linking it to bitcoin, which he called a “surrogate currency” and then the US DEA seized bitcoins from a US resident for purchasing a controlled substance in June 2013.
In August 2013, 22 bitcoin companies involved in bitcoin were subpoenaed by the state of New York, a US judge ruled that bitcoin is a form of money; and the Bitcoin Foundation received a cease and desist letter from the state of California.
Spin three years into the future and turn to a recent article in Newsweek, Leah McGrath Goodman reports that hundreds of experts inside the nation’s defense and intelligence agencies, as well as private-sector researchers in finance, technology and various think tanks across the country—some of them under contract with the U.S. government—are now investigating how virtual currencies could undermine America’s long-standing ability to disrupt the financial networks of its foes and even permanently upend parts of the global financial system.
“There is a real danger and a challenge here with respect to virtual currencies,” says Juan Zarate, a senior adviser at Washington think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies and on the board of advisers for San Francisco’s Coinbase, one of the most popular virtual currency exchanges in the world. “And it runs contrary to the very fundamentals of the transparency and accountability that we’ve tried to build for the last three decades to tackle terrorism, human trafficking, money-laundering and many other types of criminal activity.”
In 2003, Zarate led an elite team at the U.S. Department of the Treasury who engineered the model used today to target, block and freeze the finances of America’s enemies through their personal bank accounts—from Iranian money launderers to cronies of Russian President Vladimir Putin. This is how it works: Treasury’s Office of Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes puts individuals and organizations on a blacklist, which is sent out to the world. Once on the blacklist, those targeted can no longer do business in U.S. dollars, which are involved in roughly 88 percent of the world’s foreign-exchange transactions, according to Switzerland’s Bank for International Settlements. In other words, they cannot bank at most financial institutions.
This ability to financially disrupt, disable and dismantle nefarious networks, is crucial to U.S. national security, Treasury officials say. It has proven effective for more than a decade and is often strongly preferable to deploying troops. “We have made it very difficult for members of the Islamic State to raise or move money around the world these days,” Zarate says. “Even Iran had a hard time finding safe havens.” In fact, years of financial pressure from the U.S. and its allies helped force Iran to negotiate with the White House and sign a landmark nuclear deal last year.
The biggest concern the U.S. has about virtual currencies, Zarate says, is that terrorists and other enemies might create one so powerful and so untrackable, that they’ll no longer need the global banking system, which the U.S. uses to financially starve them. This has yet to happen, but America’s defense and intelligence agencies are already trying to figure out how they might infiltrate or block such a malicious financial network.
Computer Sciences has hired hundreds of technologists and experts across the banking, insurance and health care sectors to examine how to “scale up” Blockchain technology for faster banking, trading, clearing and settlements. With all the trepidation bitcoin has brought, it’s underlying framework, the Blockchain, has begun to spread like wildfire as more and more imagineers, developers, scientists, cryptographers, mathematicians etc. begin to build new concepts around the decentralisation of trust itself, which Satoshi Nakamoti, the founder of bitcoin revolutionised.
The more projects built on top of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin and ethereum, the more complicated it will become for any authorities to take them down. If that’s even possible.
Bala Venkataraman, global chief technology officer of banking and capital markets for Computer Sciences Corp., a digital information-technology company whose sister firm, CSRA Inc., runs the IT backbone of the National Security Agency (NSA) comments:
“In a cryptocurrency world, you know who becomes the bank?” he asks. “You and I. You become not just the bank, but the central bank. And that can have enormous ramifications for things like sovereign authority. By 2040, I think we may be fully transitioned over to cryptocurrency. I don’t think anyone can stop it from happening.”
“With the introduction of Blockchain, a disruption of the global banking system is inevitable,” he added in the article.
No one can stop it from happening? No one except the Americans perhaps – and very likely under the banner of Homeland Security and the Patriot Act.
One significant terrorist act on US soil, alleged or proven to be funded by Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency is very likely all it will take.
Benjamin Franklin once wrote:
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
With it’s 12 billion dollar market cap, bitcoin is nowhere near a trade threat to the U.S. dollar with its busiest week near a tiny $2 million, compared with the massive $14 trillion of average daily U.S. dollar transactions.
But it does pose a bigger threat – and that’s it’s threat to sovereign authority – or the power power of the state to regulate the monetary system and as such, the value and credibility of a sovereign currency are intrinsically linked with the ability of the state to support that currency, on which the the legal concept of money is also based on.
- Sun Exchange Raises $1.6 Million Seed Investment to Catalyze Global Shift to Solar Power - October 22, 2017
- Brickblock And Nakamo.to Announce Partnership To Fuse Real-world Asset Trading With The Potential Of IOTA’s Tangle Network - October 22, 2017
- Wirex inks deal with SBI Holdings to establish Asia focussed joint venture – Japanese cryptocurrency payments card expected soon - October 22, 2017
- CrowdWiz successfully raises over $5 million in its pre sale to bring democracy to investing by cutting out the middleman - October 22, 2017
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry - October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale - October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development - October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017