Fundchain, the Luxembourg-based Blockchain consortium initiated during the summer of 2016, is now ready to unveil its first outcomes following 6 months of collaborative work and a hackathon to push the project over the line to a PoC.
After several workshop sessions, the group decided to initially focus its research on the fund distribution value chain. The aim was to introduce an easy to replicate Proof-of-Concept to the fund ecosystem.
With the support of the University of Luxembourg, almost 80 people from every participating organization, came together to finalize the prototype during a 2-day hackathon. The event mixed fund industry professionals with business and technical backgrounds with Blockchain academic researchers and Blockchain specialists from Scorechain. For 2 days, business and technical teams worked alongside to finalize the ready-to-use PoC.
For Laurent Kratz, Scorechain co-founder:
“It’s exciting to see how this initiative built up a real synergy between major financial institutions, not only with Scorechain but also between all of them. What is also promising, is that the group is always improving the PoC with the use of our collaborative platform.”
The fully decentralized Smart TA finally unveiled internally, is running on an Ethereum private Blockchain.
The collaborative and inclusive approach to the Hackathon, led to the presentation of the Smart TA prototype.
Overcoming the main challenge of replicating the fund distribution value chain specifications through a Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) infrastructure, the Smart TA is a Blockchain-based platform enabling digital share transactions. Different roles were assigned to connect and act within the private Blockchain.
An investor has access to Fundstore, while an asset manager, or fund administrator can interact with the subscription process.
The Smart TA prototype shows how the DLT can facilitate and automate procedures while reducing operational inefficiencies and errors. Interactions between intermediaries are decentralized, faster, and more transparent.
Ethereum (the selected technology), has been turned into a private Blockchain. In this peer-to-peer environment, each user connects via their unique Blockchain node for real-time synchronization between all members.
This approach proves the technology is operational and ready to target the fund industry’s needs. Fundchain’s efforts may be considered as a major step forward for the Luxembourg investment fund ecosystem, especially now that market leaders agree that DLT is an opportunity to confirm the country’s leading position in Europe.
The next step will be to assess the regulatory challenges of the Smart TA business model. Fundchain intends on presenting the Smart TA over the coming weeks to the regulator.
The Fundchain initiative was launched in the summer with 10 key market players of the fund industry — BIL, BNP Paribas Securities Services, CACEIS, European Fund Administration (EFA), HSBC, ING Luxembourg, Pictet, RBC Investor & Treasury Services, Société Générale Bank & Trust, and Professional Services firm PwC Luxembourg —, the University of Luxembourg (SnT) and the Blockchain startup Scorechain.
The aim is to develop solutions using Distributed Ledger Technology and smart-contracts to act as innovation pioneers for the fund distribution value chain in Luxembourg.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017