Waves Blockchain platform, host of the recently held Trading in the era of Robots and Bitcoin in November 2016 at its Digital October Center office is exploring some of the developing trends in the cryptocurrency trading arena with an intention of capitalizing on them. Sasha Ivanov, the CEO of Waves platform is leading the initiative.
A Brief History of Cryptocurrency Trading
The history of cryptocurrency trading dates back to the day Blockchain based money was introduced. The concept of Bitcoin was introduced in 2008 followed by the network’s launch the next year. The first Bitcoin exchange, Mt Gox started its operations in 2010, which went on until February 2014 before it closed down due to series of management and security issues. Mt Gox’ loss was indicated to be around 850,000 BTCs, which was revised later after 200,000 BTCs were found in an ‘old format’ wallet. Since then, cryptocurrency exchanges are always under a constant threat of being hacked. Bitfinex, the latest exchange to get hacked lost around $70 million back in August 2016.
Despite the risks, many traders continue to be attracted to cryptocurrency trading due to the earning potential it offers. Ivanov explains that the crypto market is inefficient; opportunities for arbitrage exist between exchanges, and the market is very volatile and unregulated with a constantly shifting landscape.
Regulation and Efficiency
Ivanov believes that the cryptocurrency market will move in the direction of greater regulation and efficiency. Arbitrage opportunities will gradually disappear paving way for high-frequency trading and platforms for trading stocks – similar to existing ones will arise, but on the Blockchain. It will also lead to the emergence of ETF like trading funds.
The application of Blockchain technology to these markets is currently in its infancy, but there are many opportunities. Markets that have already been established on the Blockchain typically do not enable trading with sufficient speed, though they can provide transparency and decentralized trading. Nasdaq’s Linq project is one such example. Furthermore, distributed registry technology allows the combination of processes of interaction between the exchanges, brokers, depository, clearing systems and clearing houses. Blockchain can save time by speeding up typically lengthy processes, but more important than speed is transparency.
The Waves platform will play an active part in these developments by removing some existing barriers. The coming DEX (decentralized exchange) will allow anyone to have access to exchange facilities, whilst paying low fees – a far cry from the experience of many people remitting money today, or even changing currency on holiday. Any currency, security or commodity can be traded against any other, subject only to two parties agreeing to it over a system of order matching and settlement built on the Blockchain, Waves will provide the speed of traditional crypto trading engines, whilst keeping the security benefits of a peer-to-peer system.
Ivanov sums up with a series of conclusions and predictions for the sector:
- The cryptocurrency market is currently very inefficient, offering opportunities to earn from it. Arbitrage bots can be particularly effective.
- Securities transactions will be carried on the Blockchain. Exchange transactions will be carried out with the help of smart contracts and the need for IPOs will be markedly reduced.
- Blockchain-based settlement and clearing systems will be developed.
Waves recently launched full nodes and custom application tokens (CATs), which allow anyone to create and send their own tokens. These will be the foundation of fiat and securities tokens on the Blockchain, provided by gateway financial organizations.
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017
- investFeed Showcases First Version of Cryptocurrency-Based Social Investment Platform - August 3, 2017
- WePower Launches Blockchain-Powered Green Energy Platform and Token Sale - August 3, 2017
- DECENT Network introduces ATMChain - August 3, 2017
- Neufund Launches ICO Transparency Monitor to Judge ICOs Based on Smart Contract Design - August 3, 2017
- Bitfinex announces Ethfinex – a new community discussion and exchange platform for Ethereum crowdsales and tokens. - August 3, 2017
- Dutch Foundation Wants to Disrupt Charities Using Blockchain Technology - August 3, 2017
- Everex Officially Partners With Myanmar-based MicroMoney - August 3, 2017
- Tech Bureau Japan Launches Cryptocurrency Fundraising Medium, “COMSA” - August 3, 2017
- StreamSpace Token Generation Event to Support Innovative Film Distribution Platform - August 2, 2017
- Singapore Authorities Clarify Regulatory Position On ICOs – Securities in Some Cases – Following SEC Lead - August 2, 2017