Waves Blockchain platform, host of the recently held Trading in the era of Robots and Bitcoin in November 2016 at its Digital October Center office is exploring some of the developing trends in the cryptocurrency trading arena with an intention of capitalizing on them. Sasha Ivanov, the CEO of Waves platform is leading the initiative.
A Brief History of Cryptocurrency Trading
The history of cryptocurrency trading dates back to the day Blockchain based money was introduced. The concept of Bitcoin was introduced in 2008 followed by the network’s launch the next year. The first Bitcoin exchange, Mt Gox started its operations in 2010, which went on until February 2014 before it closed down due to series of management and security issues. Mt Gox’ loss was indicated to be around 850,000 BTCs, which was revised later after 200,000 BTCs were found in an ‘old format’ wallet. Since then, cryptocurrency exchanges are always under a constant threat of being hacked. Bitfinex, the latest exchange to get hacked lost around $70 million back in August 2016.
Despite the risks, many traders continue to be attracted to cryptocurrency trading due to the earning potential it offers. Ivanov explains that the crypto market is inefficient; opportunities for arbitrage exist between exchanges, and the market is very volatile and unregulated with a constantly shifting landscape.
Regulation and Efficiency
Ivanov believes that the cryptocurrency market will move in the direction of greater regulation and efficiency. Arbitrage opportunities will gradually disappear paving way for high-frequency trading and platforms for trading stocks – similar to existing ones will arise, but on the Blockchain. It will also lead to the emergence of ETF like trading funds.
The application of Blockchain technology to these markets is currently in its infancy, but there are many opportunities. Markets that have already been established on the Blockchain typically do not enable trading with sufficient speed, though they can provide transparency and decentralized trading. Nasdaq’s Linq project is one such example. Furthermore, distributed registry technology allows the combination of processes of interaction between the exchanges, brokers, depository, clearing systems and clearing houses. Blockchain can save time by speeding up typically lengthy processes, but more important than speed is transparency.
The Waves platform will play an active part in these developments by removing some existing barriers. The coming DEX (decentralized exchange) will allow anyone to have access to exchange facilities, whilst paying low fees – a far cry from the experience of many people remitting money today, or even changing currency on holiday. Any currency, security or commodity can be traded against any other, subject only to two parties agreeing to it over a system of order matching and settlement built on the Blockchain, Waves will provide the speed of traditional crypto trading engines, whilst keeping the security benefits of a peer-to-peer system.
Ivanov sums up with a series of conclusions and predictions for the sector:
- The cryptocurrency market is currently very inefficient, offering opportunities to earn from it. Arbitrage bots can be particularly effective.
- Securities transactions will be carried on the Blockchain. Exchange transactions will be carried out with the help of smart contracts and the need for IPOs will be markedly reduced.
- Blockchain-based settlement and clearing systems will be developed.
Waves recently launched full nodes and custom application tokens (CATs), which allow anyone to create and send their own tokens. These will be the foundation of fiat and securities tokens on the Blockchain, provided by gateway financial organizations.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017