Waves Blockchain platform, host of the recently held Trading in the era of Robots and Bitcoin in November 2016 at its Digital October Center office is exploring some of the developing trends in the cryptocurrency trading arena with an intention of capitalizing on them. Sasha Ivanov, the CEO of Waves platform is leading the initiative.
A Brief History of Cryptocurrency Trading
The history of cryptocurrency trading dates back to the day Blockchain based money was introduced. The concept of Bitcoin was introduced in 2008 followed by the network’s launch the next year. The first Bitcoin exchange, Mt Gox started its operations in 2010, which went on until February 2014 before it closed down due to series of management and security issues. Mt Gox’ loss was indicated to be around 850,000 BTCs, which was revised later after 200,000 BTCs were found in an ‘old format’ wallet. Since then, cryptocurrency exchanges are always under a constant threat of being hacked. Bitfinex, the latest exchange to get hacked lost around $70 million back in August 2016.
Despite the risks, many traders continue to be attracted to cryptocurrency trading due to the earning potential it offers. Ivanov explains that the crypto market is inefficient; opportunities for arbitrage exist between exchanges, and the market is very volatile and unregulated with a constantly shifting landscape.
Regulation and Efficiency
Ivanov believes that the cryptocurrency market will move in the direction of greater regulation and efficiency. Arbitrage opportunities will gradually disappear paving way for high-frequency trading and platforms for trading stocks – similar to existing ones will arise, but on the Blockchain. It will also lead to the emergence of ETF like trading funds.
The application of Blockchain technology to these markets is currently in its infancy, but there are many opportunities. Markets that have already been established on the Blockchain typically do not enable trading with sufficient speed, though they can provide transparency and decentralized trading. Nasdaq’s Linq project is one such example. Furthermore, distributed registry technology allows the combination of processes of interaction between the exchanges, brokers, depository, clearing systems and clearing houses. Blockchain can save time by speeding up typically lengthy processes, but more important than speed is transparency.
The Waves platform will play an active part in these developments by removing some existing barriers. The coming DEX (decentralized exchange) will allow anyone to have access to exchange facilities, whilst paying low fees – a far cry from the experience of many people remitting money today, or even changing currency on holiday. Any currency, security or commodity can be traded against any other, subject only to two parties agreeing to it over a system of order matching and settlement built on the Blockchain, Waves will provide the speed of traditional crypto trading engines, whilst keeping the security benefits of a peer-to-peer system.
Ivanov sums up with a series of conclusions and predictions for the sector:
- The cryptocurrency market is currently very inefficient, offering opportunities to earn from it. Arbitrage bots can be particularly effective.
- Securities transactions will be carried on the Blockchain. Exchange transactions will be carried out with the help of smart contracts and the need for IPOs will be markedly reduced.
- Blockchain-based settlement and clearing systems will be developed.
Waves recently launched full nodes and custom application tokens (CATs), which allow anyone to create and send their own tokens. These will be the foundation of fiat and securities tokens on the Blockchain, provided by gateway financial organizations.
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017