According to a recent international survey conducted by IBM, 16 per cent of Healthcare Stakeholders Plan to Use Blockchain by 2017.
In the report called “Healthcare Rallies for Blockchains – Keeping Patients at the Center”, the health industry appears to be setting the pace on Blockchain adoption, slightly ahead of the financial industry even. Interesting they see substantial opportunities for business model innovation in most of the areas surveyed, but healthcare executives don’t anticipate much disruption ahead due to the dense web of regulatory constraints.
They don’t expect to be ‘Uberised’.
But they do expect innovation.
- 16 per cent of the healthcare respondents expect to have a commercial Blockchain solution at scale in 2017.
- 6 in 10 anticipate Blockchains will help them access new markets, and new and trusted information they can keep secure.
- 7 in 10 healthcare expect the greatest Blockchain benefits to be in clinical trial records, regulatory compliance and medical/ health records.
From the report:
Forget, for a moment, “big data.” Instead think “long data” – short for longitudinal data – and its application to healthcare.
How valuable would it be to have the full history of an individual’s health? What if every vital sign that has been recorded, all of the medicines taken, information associated with every doctor’s visit, illness, operation and more could be efficiently and accurately captured? The quality and coordination of care would be expected to rise, and the costs and risks likely to fall. Long data is simply the lifetime history of data related to a person, place or thing.
And that is precisely what Blockchains can do exceedingly well. Data captured on Blockchains can be shared in real time across a scalable group of individuals and institutions. Every event or transaction is time-stamped and becomes part of a long chain, or permanent record, that can’t be tampered with after the fact.
On permissionless Blockchains, all parties can view all records. On permissioned Blockchains, privacy can be maintained by agreement about which parties can view which transactions – and where desired, by masking the identity of the party.
In this way, Blockchains shift the lens from disparate bits of information held by a single owner, to the lifetime history of an asset. This holds true whether that asset is a patient’s health record or a bottle of pills as it moves through the supply chain. From the perspective of Blockchain adoption, healthcare organizations are moving fast and even seem to have a lead on the financial industry.
To our surprise, 16 percent of healthcare organizations are Trailblazers, ready to commercialize Blockchains at scale in 2017 (see Figure 1). In our survey of banks and financial market enterprises, just 15 percent and 14 percent respectively, plan to be at commercial scale in 2017.
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017
- Ledger Raises $7m To Accelerate Worldwide Adoption Of Security Solutions For Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Applications - March 31, 2017