MIT’s Ford Professor of Engineering and one of the world’s top cryptographers Silvio Micali recently published a paper called ALGORAND The Efficient and Democratic Ledger (in the Blockchain News Library) where he lays out a groundbreaking new vision of a decentralized and secure way to manage a shared ledger that provides a beautifully elegant solution to the Byzantine General’s problem.
Micali, the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography) has developed a new approach to proof of work – which requires a negligible amount of computation, and generates a transaction history that does not fork with overwhelmingly high probability. In fact – over a million years statistically.
The approach cryptographically selects — in a way that is provably immune from manipulations, unpredictable until the last minute, but ultimately universally clear— a set of verifiers in charge of constructing a block of valid transactions and it applies to any way of implementing a shared ledger via a tamper-proof sequence of blocks, including traditional Blockchains.
According to Micali, best known for his fundamental early work on public-key cryptosystems, pseudorandom functions, digital signatures, oblivious transfer, secure multiparty computation, and co-invention of zero-knowledge proofs – there are much more efficient alternatives to current Blockchains.
And the basis for his solution is taking a totally different tack in the process of building a block. He noted that the idea was first seeded to him by a friend but he added that many of the Magistracies in Florence were elected by lottery.
He calls it cryptographic certation.
The concept is select a small group of people randomly and suddenly – who will be in charge of the next block – and be rewarded with a percentage of the block transaction. And do this in a way that is not manipulatable by an adversary. No one selects the group – it’s selected by hash. And if that’s not enough he says you take a pseudo-random generator which is pre-specified and you elongate as much as you need to select the committee.
The group decided the next block by a redesigned Byzantine Agreement where a leader is picked randomly from the group. If he’s a bad choice an agreement will not be able to be made. And everyone is forced to agree on nothing. Zero progress. With a bad leader, you just don’t get a block and if you have an empty block you get no money.
That’s the game theory.
Micali says it’s not by incentive alone but he was not yet willing to give up all his ‘tricks’ around a totally new class of protocols he’s designed (at least not in the video).
“I believe the public ledger is going to be as beautiful and as useful as any physical infrastructure but we have created and I really urge you to devote all of your attention to it.”
From a recent video (skip to 14:20 for explanation to start)
Micali has received his Laurea in Mathematics from the University of Rome, and his PhD in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley. Since 1983 he has been on the MIT faculty, in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, where he is Ford Professor of Engineering. Silvio’s research interests are cryptography, zero knowledge, pseudorandom generation, secure protocols, and mechanism design. Silvio is the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography). He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017
- South Korea’s BOScoin announces ICO May 10th, 2017 - May 6, 2017
- ICO Token Raises Blow Past VC for Blockchain Investment in last 12 Months - May 6, 2017