MIT’s Ford Professor of Engineering and one of the world’s top cryptographers Silvio Micali recently published a paper called ALGORAND The Efficient and Democratic Ledger (in the Blockchain News Library) where he lays out a groundbreaking new vision of a decentralized and secure way to manage a shared ledger that provides a beautifully elegant solution to the Byzantine General’s problem.
Micali, the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography) has developed a new approach to proof of work – which requires a negligible amount of computation, and generates a transaction history that does not fork with overwhelmingly high probability. In fact – over a million years statistically.
The approach cryptographically selects — in a way that is provably immune from manipulations, unpredictable until the last minute, but ultimately universally clear— a set of verifiers in charge of constructing a block of valid transactions and it applies to any way of implementing a shared ledger via a tamper-proof sequence of blocks, including traditional Blockchains.
According to Micali, best known for his fundamental early work on public-key cryptosystems, pseudorandom functions, digital signatures, oblivious transfer, secure multiparty computation, and co-invention of zero-knowledge proofs – there are much more efficient alternatives to current Blockchains.
And the basis for his solution is taking a totally different tack in the process of building a block. He noted that the idea was first seeded to him by a friend but he added that many of the Magistracies in Florence were elected by lottery.
He calls it cryptographic certation.
The concept is select a small group of people randomly and suddenly – who will be in charge of the next block – and be rewarded with a percentage of the block transaction. And do this in a way that is not manipulatable by an adversary. No one selects the group – it’s selected by hash. And if that’s not enough he says you take a pseudo-random generator which is pre-specified and you elongate as much as you need to select the committee.
The group decided the next block by a redesigned Byzantine Agreement where a leader is picked randomly from the group. If he’s a bad choice an agreement will not be able to be made. And everyone is forced to agree on nothing. Zero progress. With a bad leader, you just don’t get a block and if you have an empty block you get no money.
That’s the game theory.
Micali says it’s not by incentive alone but he was not yet willing to give up all his ‘tricks’ around a totally new class of protocols he’s designed (at least not in the video).
“I believe the public ledger is going to be as beautiful and as useful as any physical infrastructure but we have created and I really urge you to devote all of your attention to it.”
From a recent video (skip to 14:20 for explanation to start)
Micali has received his Laurea in Mathematics from the University of Rome, and his PhD in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley. Since 1983 he has been on the MIT faculty, in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, where he is Ford Professor of Engineering. Silvio’s research interests are cryptography, zero knowledge, pseudorandom generation, secure protocols, and mechanism design. Silvio is the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography). He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017
- World’s First Cryptocurrency Fund Listed on Exchange - December 25, 2016
- Dubai Future Accelerators Program Invests US$33m In Pilot Projects Including Blockchain - December 23, 2016
- IC3 Publishes Research on Blockchain Utilization of Intel Software Guard Extensions Offering Enhanced Protection - December 23, 2016
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - December 22, 2016
- Corporate Patents on Blockchain Could Create Legal Problems for Startups - December 22, 2016
- French Global Banking Giant BNP Paribas Completes First Real-Time Blockchain Payment - December 21, 2016