MIT’s Ford Professor of Engineering and one of the world’s top cryptographers Silvio Micali recently published a paper called ALGORAND The Efficient and Democratic Ledger (in the Blockchain News Library) where he lays out a groundbreaking new vision of a decentralized and secure way to manage a shared ledger that provides a beautifully elegant solution to the Byzantine General’s problem.
Micali, the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography) has developed a new approach to proof of work – which requires a negligible amount of computation, and generates a transaction history that does not fork with overwhelmingly high probability. In fact – over a million years statistically.
The approach cryptographically selects — in a way that is provably immune from manipulations, unpredictable until the last minute, but ultimately universally clear— a set of verifiers in charge of constructing a block of valid transactions and it applies to any way of implementing a shared ledger via a tamper-proof sequence of blocks, including traditional Blockchains.
According to Micali, best known for his fundamental early work on public-key cryptosystems, pseudorandom functions, digital signatures, oblivious transfer, secure multiparty computation, and co-invention of zero-knowledge proofs – there are much more efficient alternatives to current Blockchains.
And the basis for his solution is taking a totally different tack in the process of building a block. He noted that the idea was first seeded to him by a friend but he added that many of the Magistracies in Florence were elected by lottery.
He calls it cryptographic certation.
The concept is select a small group of people randomly and suddenly – who will be in charge of the next block – and be rewarded with a percentage of the block transaction. And do this in a way that is not manipulatable by an adversary. No one selects the group – it’s selected by hash. And if that’s not enough he says you take a pseudo-random generator which is pre-specified and you elongate as much as you need to select the committee.
The group decided the next block by a redesigned Byzantine Agreement where a leader is picked randomly from the group. If he’s a bad choice an agreement will not be able to be made. And everyone is forced to agree on nothing. Zero progress. With a bad leader, you just don’t get a block and if you have an empty block you get no money.
That’s the game theory.
Micali says it’s not by incentive alone but he was not yet willing to give up all his ‘tricks’ around a totally new class of protocols he’s designed (at least not in the video).
“I believe the public ledger is going to be as beautiful and as useful as any physical infrastructure but we have created and I really urge you to devote all of your attention to it.”
From a recent video (skip to 14:20 for explanation to start)
Micali has received his Laurea in Mathematics from the University of Rome, and his PhD in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley. Since 1983 he has been on the MIT faculty, in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, where he is Ford Professor of Engineering. Silvio’s research interests are cryptography, zero knowledge, pseudorandom generation, secure protocols, and mechanism design. Silvio is the recipient of the Turing Award (in computer science), of the Goedel Prize (in theoretical computer science) and the RSA prize (in cryptography). He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Open Source Blockchain Project MultiChain Adds Fourteen New Partners and Enters Beta - March 30, 2017
- Tokenization in the Age of Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- European Commission Proposes Blockchain Pilot to Examine Regulatory Issues - March 30, 2017
- BitPesa has Partnered with Bitcoin Company Bitbond to Improve Access to Financing for SMEs in Africa. - March 30, 2017
- Switzerland’s SIX Securities Services Develops Blockchain-Based Bond Issuing Solution - March 30, 2017
- Beijing Officials Demand Chinese Blockchain Standards - March 30, 2017
- Spanish Bank BBVA joins Hyperledger Project - March 30, 2017
- Alibaba to Tackle Counterfeit Food in China With Blockchain - March 30, 2017
- Cosmos Announces Upcoming Token Sale to Build Internet of Blockchains - March 29, 2017
- Blockchain Technologies Corp. Speaks Before Maine State Legislature Committee on Blockchain Voting - March 29, 2017
- Yoyow.org – a New Chinese Blockchain-Based Social Media Platform - March 29, 2017
- Singapore-Based Blockchain Startup REIDAO Opens Up A New, Affordable Way To Participate In Real Estate Opportunities - March 29, 2017
- ShapeShift Raises $10.4 Million in Series A Funding Round as Sales Skyrocket - March 29, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Joins the Chamber of Digital Commerce - March 29, 2017
- ICONOMI Announces World’s First Digital Assets Repayment Programme - March 29, 2017
- Hijro Partners with SAP Ariba on Blockchain Technology – Opens Trade Finance Beta to Ariba Supplier Network - March 29, 2017
- IBM, Natixis, and Trafigura introduce first-ever Blockchain solution for U.S. crude oil market - March 28, 2017
- Humaniq Opens ICO Pre-orders to Bank Transfers - March 27, 2017
- OpenLedger’s Apptrade has received a $100,000 USD boost from OpenLedger ApS - March 27, 2017
- Factom Launches Revolutionary Blockchain Suite of Mortgage Products - March 24, 2017
- Qtum Shatters ICO Records Raising $15.6 Million - March 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Sphre Announces ICO (Crowdsale) for Digital Identity Platform Called Air - March 22, 2017
- Kestrel sign ups to MTI’s blockchain driven solutions to deliver global growth - March 22, 2017
- The G20 Countries Should Investigate Blockchain Technologies to Build an Inclusive, Transparent, and Accountable Digital Economy for All - March 21, 2017
- Particl, a Distributed Marketplace Rethinking Privacy’s Future – Announced Seed Round - March 21, 2017
- ZrCoin To Do Initial Coin Offering (ICO) to Crowdfunds Commodities Option - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s Scotiabank and AlphaPoint Announce Successful Blockchain Trial - March 21, 2017
- Canada’s SecureKey taps IBM to put identity on the Blockchain - March 21, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Humaniq Launches London Office - March 21, 2017
- QRL Recruits Testers for High Security Quantum-Resistant Blockchain - March 20, 2017
- Blockchain of Things, Inc. Releases Paw Advanced REST Client Integration - March 19, 2017
- ConsenSys Named Official Blockchain City Advisor for the City of Dubai - March 16, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Connect Enterprises with Open Source Blockchain Innovations - March 16, 2017
- Multi-Million Dollar Research Institute Launched to Explore Blockchain Use Cases, Opportunities and Challenges - March 16, 2017
- Chamber of Digital Commerce Forms the Blockchain Intellectual Property Council - March 16, 2017
- Orebits & Symbiont Deploy Blockchain Technology to Digitize Gold Ownership - March 16, 2017
- Blockchain Capital to Raise its Third Fund via a Digital Token Offering in The First Liquidity-enhanced Venture Capital Fund - March 16, 2017
- The Exscudo Channels App Is A New Mobile Wallet And Secure Messenger - March 14, 2017
- Dao.Casino – Decentralising the Gambling Economy - March 14, 2017
- Chain of Points Adds American Internet Entrepreneur Jeff Pulver to Board of Advisors - March 14, 2017
- Nasdaq Releases NYIAX – A Blockchain-Enabled, Cloud-Based Media Trading Platform - March 14, 2017
- Lunyr Announces Crowdsale for the First Decentralized World Knowledge Base on Ethereum - March 14, 2017
- Coinsource, World’s largest bitcoin ATM network, Completes Historic Bulk Installation on US West Coast with 35 ATMs - March 14, 2017
- Bitwala Offers Bitcoin to M-Pesa Services in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania - March 12, 2017
- US SEC Regulators Reject Bitcoin ETF, Price Plunges, Recovers - March 11, 2017
- Google’s DeepMind plans Blockchain Health Record Tracking for Hospitals - March 10, 2017
- Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Taxation Uncertainty - March 10, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - March 9, 2017
- Australia Releases Blockchain Standards Roadmap - March 6, 2017
- Hyperledger Fabric Graduates with Honours – It’s Live! - March 4, 2017