The Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) announced Tuesday that it has become the first Chinese bank to use Blockchain, launching its Blockchain-based asset custody system. As part of its work, the bank has also successfully executed more than 100 real business transactions on the Blockchain since the system went live in October 2016.
PSBC worked with IBM and used Hyperledger Fabric to create the first deployment in China to apply Blockchain technology to asset custody in the financial industry.
Lyu Jiajin, President, PSBC, said:
“Blockchain technology has the potential to eliminate the trust frictions in financial business activities at a very low cost and creates trust and enables the efficient exchange of information for all the parties involved in a transaction. This technology has the potential to fundamentally transform the financial industry. Today, with a booming fintech and business innovation in the financial industry, we expect to join hands with more financial institutions to build the ecosystem for a financial industry based on Blockchain technology.”
“The successful launch of PSBC’s Blockchain-based asset custody platform demonstrates the high impact the technology can have on the financial industry. As the technology evolves, we expect to work with PSBC to define and develop new solutions, drive adoption of Blockchain in more lines of business and support more organizations in China and around the world as they build their Blockchain ecosystems and create a more efficient and trusted business environment,” said Chen LiMing, Chairman, IBM Greater China Group.
As China’s leading retail banks, PSBC pays attention to the technology innovation to speed its research in advanced financial products, technologies, processes and business applications. As part of these efforts, the bank worked with IBM to develop an asset custody system built on Hyperledger.
Upon completion of a Design Thinking workshop and joint development work with IBM, the bank embarked on a two-month trial operation, during which it completed over one hundred asset custody transactions involving buying and selling bonds. During the trial, the system demonstrated Blockchain’s ability to help streamline the traditionally complex credit verification process and manage risk, helping financial institutions operate more securely and efficiently.
As one of PSBC’s core businesses, asset custody now represents an approximately four trillion RMB business. Asset custody process typically involves multiple parties, including financial institutions, clients, asset custodians, asset managers and investment advisors and auditors. Each transaction involves the settlement of large sums of money and multiple participants exchanging data, each with its own information system and often relying on verification systems such as telephone, fax and mail, potentially creating delays, discrepancies and risk with reporting between entities.
PSBC’s Blockchain solution enables the real-time sharing of information by multiple parties, eliminates repeated credit verifications, which reduces the operation process by about 60%-80%1 and helps make information exchanges more efficient. The smart contract and consensus mechanism integrates investment compliance verification regulations into the Blockchain, and ensures that transactions are completed after contracts are satisfied and a consensus is reached. The immutability and encryption built into the Blockchain ensures that account information remains secure while allowing the quick sharing of necessary information by transaction participants. Furthermore, Blockchain technology helps auditing and supervising parties quickly gain information, intervene and exercise control, thus improving the efficiency of risk management across the industry.
The new PSBC asset management system using Blockchain allows real-time information sharing and enhanced scrutiny among stakeholders.
Blockchain, the underpinning technology of digital currency, is expected to revolutionize the financial sector and is part of China’s 13th Five-Year Plan for information technology.
- Lykke Crowdfunding – One -year Lykke Forward Offering - February 22, 2017
- Daimler AG Joins Hyperledger Blockchain Consortium as Premier Member - February 21, 2017
- Voatz and Clear Ballot to Explore Blockchain Technology for Remote Voting - February 20, 2017
- New Blockchain Smart Contract Token Developed By GameCredits - February 20, 2017
- Blockchain Could Be a New Operating System for the Planet Says Jeremy Wilson, Vice Chairman of Barclays Corporate Banking - February 20, 2017
- JAAK and the Guardian Initiative Announce MΞTA: A Blockchain Pilot for The Media & Entertainment Industry - February 18, 2017
- The StabL Project – Hadrien Charlanes Plans Stable Tokens and Derivative Products For Ethereum Blockchain - February 17, 2017
- Blockchain Energy Trading Trials Kickoff with Canada’s BTL Group and Austria’s Wien Energie - February 16, 2017
- Smart Dubai Office (SDO) and 1776 Launch Blockchain Challenge - February 16, 2017
- BOScoin, a New Cryptocurrency, Introduces “Trust Contracts” to Overcome the Shortcomings of Ethereum Smart Contracts - February 16, 2017
- European Commission Working on Blockchain – Plans Actively Seeking Pilot Partners - February 16, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Company SecureKey Awarded U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant - February 16, 2017
- Microsoft and KPMG Cut Deal and Kickoff Blockchain Nodes in Frankfurt and Singapore - February 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Project FERMAT Announces Significant Alpha Release for the “Internet of People” - February 16, 2017
- Russian Blockchain Startup Exscudo Aims to Bridge Traditional Finances And The Cryptocurrency Market - February 15, 2017
- Active Year Ahead for Blockchain Solutions in Financial Services, says Corporate Insight - February 14, 2017
- BlockApps and Red Hat Cut Deal to Deliver Hybrid Cloud Solution for Blockchain Applications in the Enterprise - February 14, 2017
- Hyperledger Blockchain Turns One – Director Brian Behlendorf Updates - February 14, 2017
- The State Bank of India Initiates National Blockchain Bank Consortium - February 14, 2017
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) Introduces Real-Time Cross-Border Blockchain Payments - February 14, 2017
- China Turning Hard to Blockchain – Focus on Fraud Reduction - February 13, 2017
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to Kick Off Blockchain in Heathcare Code-A-Thon - February 13, 2017
- Hexayurt Capital presents the Internet of Agreements at the World Government Summit - February 13, 2017
- EquiChain – Blockchain for Emerging Markets Post-Trade - February 13, 2017
- UK Government Approves Tramonex Labs to Issue Currency on Blockchain - February 12, 2017
- US Congress Buckles Down With Blockchain – Launch Congressional Blockchain Caucus - February 11, 2017
- Nick Szabo: Some Private Blockchains Qualify as Bona Fide Blockchains - February 10, 2017
- Bitfury Group and Government of Georgia Expand Blockchain Land Titling Project - February 10, 2017
- Expanse Project Announces Launch of the Expanse Bond System (EBS) - February 10, 2017
- WISeKey to Establish IoT Blockchain Center of Excellence in New York - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Gets $700k Growth Equity Via VC Funding - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Health Startup Hashed Health Raises Nearly $2 Million in Initial Funding Round - February 10, 2017
- IBM Kicks Off Blockchain Initiative with Dubai Government - February 10, 2017
- Blockchain Pioneer Medici Ventures Invests in Factom, Inc. - February 7, 2017
- Canadian Blockchain Startup Equibit Raises Quarter Million Dollars in Day One of Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Grantcoin Foundation Distributes Universal Basic Income (UBI) Grants To 1,132 People In 79 Countries - February 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Chronobank partners with NEM to create ChronoNEM wallet - February 3, 2017
- dotBlockchain Music Project Announces Partners - February 2, 2017
- Switzerland Promises to Ease Rules for Fintech and Blockchain Startups - February 2, 2017
- Netherlands’ ING Bank Completes 27 Blockchain POCs - February 2, 2017
- South African Blockchain-Based AR Game nears $1 Million in ICO Funding Goal - February 2, 2017
- The Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Announces New Blockchain Assets Working Group - February 2, 2017
- Tel Aviv’s Colu Launches Local Digital Currency for Liverpool – East London Next - February 2, 2017
- South Africa Mulling Over Blockchain Digital Currency - February 2, 2017
- Nine in Ten Governments Investing in Blockchain by 2018 Says IBM Study - February 2, 2017
- NATO Awards Estonian Blockchain Company Guardtime Contract for Next-Generation Cyber Range - February 2, 2017
- Microsoft and Tierion Collaborate on Attestations and Blockchain Proofs - February 2, 2017
- Irish Funds and Deloitte Trial Blockchain Proof-of-Concept - February 2, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Raise $2 Million for Digital Identity Enterprise Software - February 2, 2017
- National Altcoins – a Toy for Market Sharks or Godsend for Local Communities? - February 1, 2017