IBM Watson Health has signed a research initiative with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) aimed at defining a secure, efficient and scalable exchange of health data using Blockchain technology.
“The healthcare industry is undergoing significant changes due to the vast amounts of disparate data being generated. Blockchain technology provides a highly secure, decentralized framework for data sharing that will accelerate innovation throughout the industry,” said Shahram Ebadollahi, Vice President for Innovations and Chief Science Officer, IBM Watson Health.
IBM and the FDA will explore the exchange of owner mediated data from several sources, such as Electronic Medical Records, clinical trials, genomic data, and health data from mobile devices, wearables and the “Internet of Things.” The initial focus will be on oncology-related data.
Transformative healthcare solutions are possible when healthcare researchers and providers have access to a 360-degree view of patient data. Today, patients have little access to their health data and cannot easily share with researchers or providers. Giving patients the opportunity to share their data securely, for research purposes or across their healthcare providers, creates opportunities for major advancements in healthcare. Blockchain technology, which enables organizations to work together with more trust, is designed to help make this a reality.
By keeping an audit trail of all transactions on an unalterable distributed ledger, Blockchain technology establishes accountability and transparency in the data exchange process. In the past, large scale sharing of health data has been limited by concerns of data security and breaches of patient privacy during the data exchange process.
A recent IBM Institute for Business Value paper ‘Healthcare rallies for Blockchains1‘, based on a survey of about 200 healthcare executives, found that more than seven in ten industry leaders anticipate the highest benefits of Blockchain in healthcare to accrue to managing clinical trial records, regulatory compliance and medical/health records.
IBM and the FDA will explore how a Blockchain framework can potentially provide benefits to public health by supporting important use cases for information exchange across a wide variety of data types, including clinical trials and “real world” evidence data. New insights combining data across the healthcare ecosystem can potentially lead to new biomedical discoveries. Patient data from wearables and connected devices for example, can help doctors and caregivers better manage population health.
The collaboration will also address new ways to leverage the large volumes of diverse data in today’s biomedical and healthcare industries. A secure owner-mediated data sharing ecosystem could potentially hold the promise of new discoveries and improved public health.
IBM brings extensive expertise in Blockchain technology, for example, IBM is founding member and key contributor to the Linux Foundation’s Hyperledger project.
As the promise of Blockchain in healthcare becomes increasingly evident, IBM will work to define and build the technological solution for a scalable and decentralized data sharing ecosystem.
The initiative with the FDA is a two-year agreement. IBM Watson Health and the FDA plan to share initial research findings in 2017.
Watson is the first commercially available cognitive computing capability representing a new era in computing. The system, delivered through the cloud, analyzes high volumes of data, understands complex questions posed in natural language, and proposes evidence-based answers. Watson continuously learns, gaining in value and knowledge over time, from previous interactions. In April 2015, the company launched IBM Watson Health and the Watson Health Cloud platform. IBM Watson Health is helping to improve the ability of doctors, researchers and insurers to innovate by surfacing insights from the massive amount of personal health data being created and shared daily. For more information on IBM Watson, visit: ibm.com/watson. For more information on IBM Watson Health, visit: ibm.com/watsonhealth.
IBM is rapidly expanding its Blockchain capabilities and actively working with companies to understand what it takes to make Blockchain ready for business. Financial services, supply chains, IoT, risk management, digital rights management and healthcare are some of the areas that are poised for dramatic change using Blockchain networks. For more information about IBM Blockchain, visit www.ibm.com/Blockchain.
- Medicalchain – first UK-based Company to bring Blockchain Technology to the Healthcare Industry Announced ICO - August 23, 2017
- Ties.Network Announces Token Generation Event (TGE) - August 23, 2017
- Bodhi Raised $10M Ahead of ICO Launch - August 22, 2017
- myGeoTracking Teams with Rivetz to Provide State of the Art Device Security for Mobile Field Employees - August 22, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Collaboration With Leading Retailers And Food Companies To Address Worldwide Food Safety - August 22, 2017
- SmartContract.com, Used by SWIFT, Announces Technical Leaders as Advisors, Launches ChainLink to Connect Smart Contracts to Off-chain Data & Payments - August 22, 2017
- Synechron Partners with R3 in One of the Largest Distributed Ledger Consortium Projects of the Year - August 22, 2017
- Hive Raises $8.95 Million to Build Blockchain-Based Invoice Finance Platform - August 22, 2017
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017