IBM Watson Health has signed a research initiative with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) aimed at defining a secure, efficient and scalable exchange of health data using Blockchain technology.
“The healthcare industry is undergoing significant changes due to the vast amounts of disparate data being generated. Blockchain technology provides a highly secure, decentralized framework for data sharing that will accelerate innovation throughout the industry,” said Shahram Ebadollahi, Vice President for Innovations and Chief Science Officer, IBM Watson Health.
IBM and the FDA will explore the exchange of owner mediated data from several sources, such as Electronic Medical Records, clinical trials, genomic data, and health data from mobile devices, wearables and the “Internet of Things.” The initial focus will be on oncology-related data.
Transformative healthcare solutions are possible when healthcare researchers and providers have access to a 360-degree view of patient data. Today, patients have little access to their health data and cannot easily share with researchers or providers. Giving patients the opportunity to share their data securely, for research purposes or across their healthcare providers, creates opportunities for major advancements in healthcare. Blockchain technology, which enables organizations to work together with more trust, is designed to help make this a reality.
By keeping an audit trail of all transactions on an unalterable distributed ledger, Blockchain technology establishes accountability and transparency in the data exchange process. In the past, large scale sharing of health data has been limited by concerns of data security and breaches of patient privacy during the data exchange process.
A recent IBM Institute for Business Value paper ‘Healthcare rallies for Blockchains1‘, based on a survey of about 200 healthcare executives, found that more than seven in ten industry leaders anticipate the highest benefits of Blockchain in healthcare to accrue to managing clinical trial records, regulatory compliance and medical/health records.
IBM and the FDA will explore how a Blockchain framework can potentially provide benefits to public health by supporting important use cases for information exchange across a wide variety of data types, including clinical trials and “real world” evidence data. New insights combining data across the healthcare ecosystem can potentially lead to new biomedical discoveries. Patient data from wearables and connected devices for example, can help doctors and caregivers better manage population health.
The collaboration will also address new ways to leverage the large volumes of diverse data in today’s biomedical and healthcare industries. A secure owner-mediated data sharing ecosystem could potentially hold the promise of new discoveries and improved public health.
IBM brings extensive expertise in Blockchain technology, for example, IBM is founding member and key contributor to the Linux Foundation’s Hyperledger project.
As the promise of Blockchain in healthcare becomes increasingly evident, IBM will work to define and build the technological solution for a scalable and decentralized data sharing ecosystem.
The initiative with the FDA is a two-year agreement. IBM Watson Health and the FDA plan to share initial research findings in 2017.
Watson is the first commercially available cognitive computing capability representing a new era in computing. The system, delivered through the cloud, analyzes high volumes of data, understands complex questions posed in natural language, and proposes evidence-based answers. Watson continuously learns, gaining in value and knowledge over time, from previous interactions. In April 2015, the company launched IBM Watson Health and the Watson Health Cloud platform. IBM Watson Health is helping to improve the ability of doctors, researchers and insurers to innovate by surfacing insights from the massive amount of personal health data being created and shared daily. For more information on IBM Watson, visit: ibm.com/watson. For more information on IBM Watson Health, visit: ibm.com/watsonhealth.
IBM is rapidly expanding its Blockchain capabilities and actively working with companies to understand what it takes to make Blockchain ready for business. Financial services, supply chains, IoT, risk management, digital rights management and healthcare are some of the areas that are poised for dramatic change using Blockchain networks. For more information about IBM Blockchain, visit www.ibm.com/Blockchain.
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017