Cello joins a number of other Blockchain platforms in the Linux-led Hyperledger project including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Blockchain Explorer, and Iroha. Cello is a toolkit for deploying a Blockchain-as-a-Service, that reduces the effort required for creating, managing, and terminating Blockchains.
Hyperledger serves as an “umbrella” for software developer communities building open source Blockchain and related technologies.
What is Cello?
Cello aims to bring the on-demand “as-a-service” deployment model to the Blockchain ecosystem, to provide a multi-tenant chain service efficiently and automatically, on top of various infrastructure, e.g., baremetal, virtual machine, and more container platforms.
With Cello, operators can create and manage multiple Blockchains in a pool through a dashboard, at the same time users (typically the chaincode developers) can obtain Blockchains instantly with a single request, as illustrated in the figure below.
Cello will plan to support existing and further Hyperledger Blockchain platforms including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Iroha, and more. We have been evaluating Cello for several environments, e.g., Cello in a POWER-based Cloud has supported thousands of chains for nearly a year.
“Cello will definitely welcome potential collaborations with other important projects, to achieve another open-source success”, said by the initial project proposer, Baohua Yang.
The Hyperledger community and by extension, The Linux Foundation, has initialized several projects (e.g., Fabric, Sawtooth Lake and Iroha) for the Decentralized Ledger Technology (DLT) ecosystems. Those projects provide various ledger implementations targeting performance, stability, permissions, scalability, etc. Cello hopes to help build the community by providing the Blockchain service functionality and attracting more contributors to Hyperledger.
Today, to boot a chain, developers need to adopt the installation scripts, e.g., docker-compose scripts in Fabric. If multiple tenants requires to obtain separate chains at the same time, they have to modify the scripts carefully and create these chains manually. This procedure is time consuming, and even worse, leads to possible misconfigurations.
Take Hyperledger Fabric, for example, currently, the solution to create a Hyperledger Fabric chain includes:
- Manual installation of each peer node on different servers. This requires much effort and is error prone.
- Setup scripts (e.g., Docker-Compose) to start a fabric network. This requires a specific server configuration, which makes it hard to share resources and dynamically create multiple chains.
Cello solves these problems in a different way, by maintaining a pool of chains automatically. Users will get chains with various configurations instantly, while operators can dynamically scale the physical resources through a dashboard.
The Hyperledger community now has projects of SDK, Blockchain-explorer and chaintool. Cello is a great complement. For example, Cello can boot a Blockchain with Blockchain-explorer as the dashboard, with SDK and chaintool as the interface to operate chaincode.
Cello leverages the Docker APIs to manage the Blockchain clusters in remote hosts, including physical servers and virtual machines. Hence Cello can be easily deployed to Cloud environments that provide virtual machines on demand.
The design architecture is as follows:
- Orchestration Engine: Core to handle resource management and workload scheduling, which is mainly implemented in Python;
- Restful Server: Operational interface, which is implemented with Python;
- Drivers: Currently we utilize Docker API lib, to support native host and Swarm cluster The driver layer is designed to be pluggable to support more types in future;
- Tools: We have also designed several tools to handle tasks like monitoring and logging, which are mainly implemented in Golang. However, the framework is pluggable, hence we can also integrate existing open-source tools.
Who will work on Cello?
Currently, Baohua Yang and Haitao Yue from IBM Research are committed part-time to developing and maintaining the project. There are also sponsors from Soramitsu, Huawei and Intel.
Learn more about Cello
Cello is hosted at github. We will follow the Hyperledger community’s guide, all information is open at the wikipage at https://wiki.hyperledger.org/projects/cello.md.
For those interested in additional information about Cello or any of the other technical projects under Hyperledger, please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017