Cello joins a number of other Blockchain platforms in the Linux-led Hyperledger project including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Blockchain Explorer, and Iroha. Cello is a toolkit for deploying a Blockchain-as-a-Service, that reduces the effort required for creating, managing, and terminating Blockchains.
Hyperledger serves as an “umbrella” for software developer communities building open source Blockchain and related technologies.
What is Cello?
Cello aims to bring the on-demand “as-a-service” deployment model to the Blockchain ecosystem, to provide a multi-tenant chain service efficiently and automatically, on top of various infrastructure, e.g., baremetal, virtual machine, and more container platforms.
With Cello, operators can create and manage multiple Blockchains in a pool through a dashboard, at the same time users (typically the chaincode developers) can obtain Blockchains instantly with a single request, as illustrated in the figure below.
Cello will plan to support existing and further Hyperledger Blockchain platforms including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Iroha, and more. We have been evaluating Cello for several environments, e.g., Cello in a POWER-based Cloud has supported thousands of chains for nearly a year.
“Cello will definitely welcome potential collaborations with other important projects, to achieve another open-source success”, said by the initial project proposer, Baohua Yang.
The Hyperledger community and by extension, The Linux Foundation, has initialized several projects (e.g., Fabric, Sawtooth Lake and Iroha) for the Decentralized Ledger Technology (DLT) ecosystems. Those projects provide various ledger implementations targeting performance, stability, permissions, scalability, etc. Cello hopes to help build the community by providing the Blockchain service functionality and attracting more contributors to Hyperledger.
Today, to boot a chain, developers need to adopt the installation scripts, e.g., docker-compose scripts in Fabric. If multiple tenants requires to obtain separate chains at the same time, they have to modify the scripts carefully and create these chains manually. This procedure is time consuming, and even worse, leads to possible misconfigurations.
Take Hyperledger Fabric, for example, currently, the solution to create a Hyperledger Fabric chain includes:
- Manual installation of each peer node on different servers. This requires much effort and is error prone.
- Setup scripts (e.g., Docker-Compose) to start a fabric network. This requires a specific server configuration, which makes it hard to share resources and dynamically create multiple chains.
Cello solves these problems in a different way, by maintaining a pool of chains automatically. Users will get chains with various configurations instantly, while operators can dynamically scale the physical resources through a dashboard.
The Hyperledger community now has projects of SDK, Blockchain-explorer and chaintool. Cello is a great complement. For example, Cello can boot a Blockchain with Blockchain-explorer as the dashboard, with SDK and chaintool as the interface to operate chaincode.
Cello leverages the Docker APIs to manage the Blockchain clusters in remote hosts, including physical servers and virtual machines. Hence Cello can be easily deployed to Cloud environments that provide virtual machines on demand.
The design architecture is as follows:
- Orchestration Engine: Core to handle resource management and workload scheduling, which is mainly implemented in Python;
- Restful Server: Operational interface, which is implemented with Python;
- Drivers: Currently we utilize Docker API lib, to support native host and Swarm cluster The driver layer is designed to be pluggable to support more types in future;
- Tools: We have also designed several tools to handle tasks like monitoring and logging, which are mainly implemented in Golang. However, the framework is pluggable, hence we can also integrate existing open-source tools.
Who will work on Cello?
Currently, Baohua Yang and Haitao Yue from IBM Research are committed part-time to developing and maintaining the project. There are also sponsors from Soramitsu, Huawei and Intel.
Learn more about Cello
Cello is hosted at github. We will follow the Hyperledger community’s guide, all information is open at the wikipage at https://wiki.hyperledger.org/projects/cello.md.
For those interested in additional information about Cello or any of the other technical projects under Hyperledger, please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017