Cello joins a number of other Blockchain platforms in the Linux-led Hyperledger project including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Blockchain Explorer, and Iroha. Cello is a toolkit for deploying a Blockchain-as-a-Service, that reduces the effort required for creating, managing, and terminating Blockchains.
Hyperledger serves as an “umbrella” for software developer communities building open source Blockchain and related technologies.
What is Cello?
Cello aims to bring the on-demand “as-a-service” deployment model to the Blockchain ecosystem, to provide a multi-tenant chain service efficiently and automatically, on top of various infrastructure, e.g., baremetal, virtual machine, and more container platforms.
With Cello, operators can create and manage multiple Blockchains in a pool through a dashboard, at the same time users (typically the chaincode developers) can obtain Blockchains instantly with a single request, as illustrated in the figure below.
Cello will plan to support existing and further Hyperledger Blockchain platforms including Fabric, Sawtooth Lake, Iroha, and more. We have been evaluating Cello for several environments, e.g., Cello in a POWER-based Cloud has supported thousands of chains for nearly a year.
“Cello will definitely welcome potential collaborations with other important projects, to achieve another open-source success”, said by the initial project proposer, Baohua Yang.
The Hyperledger community and by extension, The Linux Foundation, has initialized several projects (e.g., Fabric, Sawtooth Lake and Iroha) for the Decentralized Ledger Technology (DLT) ecosystems. Those projects provide various ledger implementations targeting performance, stability, permissions, scalability, etc. Cello hopes to help build the community by providing the Blockchain service functionality and attracting more contributors to Hyperledger.
Today, to boot a chain, developers need to adopt the installation scripts, e.g., docker-compose scripts in Fabric. If multiple tenants requires to obtain separate chains at the same time, they have to modify the scripts carefully and create these chains manually. This procedure is time consuming, and even worse, leads to possible misconfigurations.
Take Hyperledger Fabric, for example, currently, the solution to create a Hyperledger Fabric chain includes:
- Manual installation of each peer node on different servers. This requires much effort and is error prone.
- Setup scripts (e.g., Docker-Compose) to start a fabric network. This requires a specific server configuration, which makes it hard to share resources and dynamically create multiple chains.
Cello solves these problems in a different way, by maintaining a pool of chains automatically. Users will get chains with various configurations instantly, while operators can dynamically scale the physical resources through a dashboard.
The Hyperledger community now has projects of SDK, Blockchain-explorer and chaintool. Cello is a great complement. For example, Cello can boot a Blockchain with Blockchain-explorer as the dashboard, with SDK and chaintool as the interface to operate chaincode.
Cello leverages the Docker APIs to manage the Blockchain clusters in remote hosts, including physical servers and virtual machines. Hence Cello can be easily deployed to Cloud environments that provide virtual machines on demand.
The design architecture is as follows:
- Orchestration Engine: Core to handle resource management and workload scheduling, which is mainly implemented in Python;
- Restful Server: Operational interface, which is implemented with Python;
- Drivers: Currently we utilize Docker API lib, to support native host and Swarm cluster The driver layer is designed to be pluggable to support more types in future;
- Tools: We have also designed several tools to handle tasks like monitoring and logging, which are mainly implemented in Golang. However, the framework is pluggable, hence we can also integrate existing open-source tools.
Who will work on Cello?
Currently, Baohua Yang and Haitao Yue from IBM Research are committed part-time to developing and maintaining the project. There are also sponsors from Soramitsu, Huawei and Intel.
Learn more about Cello
Cello is hosted at github. We will follow the Hyperledger community’s guide, all information is open at the wikipage at https://wiki.hyperledger.org/projects/cello.md.
For those interested in additional information about Cello or any of the other technical projects under Hyperledger, please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017