While governments in the US (particularly the SEC) , China and Russia have all taken strict or uncertain regulatory positions toward digital currencies, Switzerland has welcomed the movement with open arms.
During a meeting of the Swiss Federal Council on February 1st 2017, the Federal Council initiated a move towards amending the countries’ Banking Act and Banking Ordinance to ensure that barriers to market entry for Fintech firms are reduced and that the competitiveness of the Swiss financial centre is enhanced.
It was noted that due to the rapidly progressing digitisation in the Blockchain area, business models will develop which are not yet conceivable today and the council promised to swiftly propose the necessary regulatory adjustments if required.
This is great news for Cryptovalley in Zug. Located just south of Zurich with a population of 120,000, Zug is one of the smallest of Switzerland’s 26 cantons and it has one of the country’s lowest tax rates, introduced in the 1940s as a way to lift itself out of poverty.
Cryptovalley in Zug is already famous as a laissez faire hub virtual currency firms. The 30-kilometer stretch of land from Zurich to Zug offers Blockchain startups progressive laws, a competitive hiring environment and low taxes a mix that has attracted many crypto entrepreneurs looking for a place to gain traction amid an uncertain international legal climate.
When tax reforms and the end of banking secrecy posing a threat to its business model, the canton wants to reinvent itself as a “Crypto Valley” – and has now become a base for Blockchain start-ups such as Akasha International, Ethereum Foundation, Melonport AG, Modum.io, SingularDTV and many others.
And it’s a good place for Blockchain startups offering:
- a “stable predictable, neutral political system” a culture of financial privacy
- access to talent
- low taxes
- public-private support for entrepreneurs
- the World Economic Forum’s listing of Switzerland as the most competitive nation in the world.
According to a report last year by Michael del Castillo at Coindesk in June 2016, two members of the Swiss Parliament’s Federal Assembly proposed a total of three blockchain-related motions designed to make it easier for the financial sector to anticipate ramifications of blockchain technologies; “consolidate” Switzerland’s position as a blockchain leader; and make it easier for blockchain startups to hold customer funds without being classified as banks.
Swiss authorities and industry are behind Zug’s push into crypto finance, believing it will allow the financial sector to diversify as the demise of banking secrecy looms.
“If we don’t take part at the front of ‘fintech’, we don’t deserve our title as a global financial center,” Martin Hess of the Swiss Banking Association told Reuters.
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017
- investFeed Showcases First Version of Cryptocurrency-Based Social Investment Platform - August 3, 2017
- WePower Launches Blockchain-Powered Green Energy Platform and Token Sale - August 3, 2017
- DECENT Network introduces ATMChain - August 3, 2017
- Neufund Launches ICO Transparency Monitor to Judge ICOs Based on Smart Contract Design - August 3, 2017
- Bitfinex announces Ethfinex – a new community discussion and exchange platform for Ethereum crowdsales and tokens. - August 3, 2017
- Dutch Foundation Wants to Disrupt Charities Using Blockchain Technology - August 3, 2017
- Everex Officially Partners With Myanmar-based MicroMoney - August 3, 2017
- Tech Bureau Japan Launches Cryptocurrency Fundraising Medium, “COMSA” - August 3, 2017
- StreamSpace Token Generation Event to Support Innovative Film Distribution Platform - August 2, 2017
- Singapore Authorities Clarify Regulatory Position On ICOs – Securities in Some Cases – Following SEC Lead - August 2, 2017